Why should i get rid of my current CPU cooling fans for a liquid cooling system? pic related...

why should i get rid of my current CPU cooling fans for a liquid cooling system? pic related, it's the one I'm currently using - noctua d14

Attached: fanboii.png (498x500, 106K)

No.
There has been no conclusive testing that liquid cooling has any advantage over standard cooling. Plus if it leaks you will get owned.

you shouldn't

The d14 is about as good as a 240mm AIO.

>There has been no conclusive testing that liquid cooling has any advantage over standard cooling.
all in ones maybe, but not real deal liquid cooling

all in ones have a single use case, which is exotic form factor cases where a large air heatsink is not viable
otherwise they are louder, less effective, have a catastrophic failure capability, and are more expensive

never go for liquid cooling. NEVER

A custom loop might(not certainly) get you a slightly better temps and a slightly higher overclock. But it comes at the expense of noise, power consumption, and the chance of failure.

OP here, so if I keep my current fan, would you recommend overclocking and how much? Currently using a Intel Core I5-4670K. Pretty old computer so I'm thinking of what I should upgrade or just try to boost as it is.

This is patently false. Liquid cooling will 100% keep your CPU at a lower temperature during high loads provided your cooler's plate covers the whole die. Lower temps means better overclocking, better overclocking means better performance.

Do you "need" to watercool? Of course not. We're talking about a pretty small performance boost and that's ONLY if you overclock. However, anyone who says liquid cooling "has no advantage" over air cooling doesn't know what they're talking about and shouldn't give advice.

Get a Noctua air cooler and be done with it. Liquid cooling is a meme like RGB. It is only a legit thing if you're doing something stupid and extreme.

There are other factors that go into it. Case size and what size radiator you can fit into your machine matter. With a normal atx case what you say is true.
The value of over clocking depends on what you plan on doing with your pc.

Inb4 it's an AiO

CPUs don't actually benefit from liquid cooling that much, unless we're talking about x299 housefires where liquid is mandatory. But GPUs actually do, about 15-20c difference between top tier air cooler and top tier liquid stuff. It's the only thing in your system that should be liquid cooled.

>liquid cooling upgrade?
I wouldn't spend money on just upgrading cooling, time for new mb, cpu and memory as well. Video card decent?
As for air vs liquid, with chipset process getting smaller, liquid doesn't give a advantage for most overclockers. I think its now down to aesthetics, pick a system that looks the part for you.
If you don't care about aesthetics, a good reliable, quite third party fan system will do

A few plastic tubes and a dumb little radiator don’t look as cool as a giant shiny metal beast with fins and metal pipes shooting out. You know what to choose.

It just happened that most of the stuff i bought when i built the computer turned up to be red, so I'd like to keep that color to avoid a rainbowclusterfuck of colors.

The mb is still decent, CPU i5-4670K, 8 gb RAM memory but that is on the to-do list, as for the GPU I'm running a R9 290 but i've been running it on the quiet setting so far. Seeing at it has a normal and a super-setting too I'd take a wild guess that since it still runs ever game at decent fps without problems but the fans have been acting loud i wanted to ask here before buying anything unnecessary.

desu my only problem is the memory shortage and noisy fans, but i should probably just get some more case fans for a better airflow.

Water cooling is high maintenance (algae and leaks)
Overclocking isn't worth it for 20% gains (just buy a higher spec CPU).

You can overclock a 4670k a lot on a d14 without any cooling issues or even having it get too loud. If your computer is loud it's not that cooler's fault. It's more likely graphics card, case fans, power supply, or hard drives. Try looking in your BIOS to see if you have any overly aggressive fan settings.

AIOs are used for two reasons; to accommodate small spaces or places where you cannot mount large air coolers, ie. GPUs and ITX builds, and heavy overclocking where you want direct access to outside air or want to dump all the heat generated directly out of the case.

And if you had an intel stock hsf, or a hyper 212, yes, it would make shit run faster and cooler.

But it will not improve performance enough to merit replacing a noctua d14. You can also keep reusing noctuas because they've kept secufirm2 for over a decade now, while AIOs have a limited lifespan

>I'm running a R9 290

dude, there's your fucking problem. I had a 7950, and it ran HOT AS FUCK. At 1.1GHz, fuzzy ring pushed my shitty 420w 80+ bronze power supply to hit its safety cut off.

First thing you should try is to replace the thermal paste on the GPU, then clean the heatsink.

Attached: 7950 OC settings.png (629x824, 324K)

I went from DH14 to Fractal celsius when i got a new cpu, the only reason was that i wanted a smaller case, and i didnt want a massive cooler taking up half the case.

Cooling wise the DH14 is still a beast. so dont upgrade unless you have to ugprade.

you have the wind-turbine leaf blower fan?

If so, get accelero cooler for 290/290x.

it is 100% silent even at 100%fan and it cools like crazy.

or just buy a used 980ti

>buy Noctua DH-15
>cooler takes up the entire mid-tower
>can't access memory
>have to rout all the cabling before seating the massive cooler

No thanks, I rather have those newer Asetek AIOs.

cable routing isn't that hard. anyone with a decent IQ knows in what order to put the hardware too so those things shouldn't be any problem.

>can't access memory
if you really need to go and nimble around the memory at some random moment you might want to clean and renew the cooling paste too so kinda practical

>First thing you should try is to replace the thermal paste on the GPU, then clean the heatsink.
this.

so replacing the thermal paste and cleaning the heatsink, and maybe buying a 980ti might solve the problems i experience regarding the leaf blower identity crisis my fans seems to have

>buy aio
>more expensive
>loud fans
>buzzing pump
>no airflow over vrm
>pump fails
>leaks
>shorts power supply
>house burns down

you shouldn't. not worth it.

>But GPUs actually do, about 15-20c difference between top tier air cooler and top tier liquid stuff
Are you comparing with the top factory air coolers, or aftermarket ones? I'm running a Raijintek Morpheus on a 1070ti, and the highest I recorded on load was 51C. I seriously doubt even a custom loop can drop 20 degrees from this. Full load temps in the 40's I can believe, 30's not a chance in hell.

Attached: A66Z_13059476680477297157K8hkajCX.jpg (640x480, 14K)

Not with an AIO at least. My 1070 with a 280mm aio runs around 50c at load with noctuas running at 20%. ambient is 24c.

A full custom loop, with a thick 560mm rad, in a room with heavy AC maybe you could hit 40c?

With an AC working overtime I'd believe it. But beyond that we're talking exotic cooling already.
BTW, forgot to say that on the Morpheus I'm running a pair of 120mm BQ Silent Wings 3, 1000rpm on load and 700 on idle. I did have to connect them to the motherboard though, controlled by cpu temperature, Nvidia went full retard with their fan control, and despite working with pwm signals, control is done by the read rpm. For instance, my 1070ti was a blower model that idles at 1200rpm, and no matter what settings i had in afterburner or what fans I used, it always tries to run whatever fans it has at 1200rpm on idle

I tried AIOs for a little while. Shit broke in like 3 months. Went back to air and not going back. What if it had leaked? What a grand and intoxicating innocence I had back then; how could I have been so naive?