So my wife let it slip that I will be getting an snk805 (pic related) for Christmas...

So my wife let it slip that I will be getting an snk805 (pic related) for Christmas. This watch has mechanical internals. I work at a hospital in the house keeping department and clean MRI rooms several times a week. My question is that even though these machines are not in use while Im cleaning will they still effect this watch. Ive Googled a bit and can only find situations involving patients removing jewelry and watches during treatment. I want to wear this watch at work but obviously dont want to have my watch magnetized as that effects accuracy. Does anyone have some experience with this?

Attached: seiko-5-green-dial-green-canvas-men_s-watch-snk805.jpg (900x900, 125K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg
mri-q.com/is-field-ever-turned-off.html
youtube.com/watch?v=9SOUJP5dFEg
youtube.com/watch?v=TN7uZ01DuQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tiHDsrnY83I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a $50 mechanical watch that loses 5 minutes a week, I don't think a magnetic field is going to make it worse.

>2018
>mechanical watch
lol

Why are you trying to convert brag about a $60 watch?

The MRI magnetic field is always on, not only when you pass a sequence.
You'll have to remove the watch everytime you step inside.

Thank you for that info.

>he only likes digital things
>he can't appreciate wearing an intricate machine on his wrist

Attached: Piaget 900p.jpg (1000x667, 283K)

Your phone most likely has a sensor for magnetic fields, so you can just check whether or not there is a magnet active.

Mechanical watches which can resist such extreme conditions (as you will most likely face) also exist, although they are rather expensive.

I found a few of those watches that are resistant to being magnetized. Although like you mentioned they are expensive. Also I just found a device on Amazon that can be used to demagnetize watches. These devices sell for less than 20 dollars and seem to work well. I think I will probably buy on.

Digital clocks generally aren't much more accurate. You think you have a precision TCXO in that cheap chinkwatch?

>twenty (20) jewels
>machine (watch)

try it out and see if it gets slower or faster. i dont think demagnetizing is expensive at the watch shop.

I'm not sure if the 5 minutes a week statistic is accurate but my current wristwatch is no more than 10 seconds out after a month. Sure the accuracy could be better and it's definitely not a TCXO but it's not 5 minutes a week.
At the same time, I would love a fully mechanical watch and I doubt it would be as bad as 5 minutes a week. Maybe a few seconds a week.

>even though these machines are not in use while Im cleaning will they still effect this watch
No

Amazon has a demagnetizing device for less than 20 dollars. They are said to work well.

Regarding op's question:
MRI machines are never "off" unless they're down for maintenance. If it's down for maintenance you probably won't be cleaning it.
youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg

Don't most MRIs use superconducting magnets? That would mean no magnetism without electricity. Maybe that one uses permanent magnets or is just actually powered on.

are you serious

Is this the new Jow Forums watch thread?

Attached: 491820497.jpg (1600x1437, 740K)

The superconducting ones use superconducting magnets yes. Turning them off uses up coolant and then turning them back on takes a while.
There are other kinds of MRI machines as well.
mri-q.com/is-field-ever-turned-off.html

youtube.com/watch?v=9SOUJP5dFEg
Some more questions are answered in the description of this video.

>Maybe a few seconds a week
I have an SNK799 and it if about 30s fast each day, which is not very good for a Seiko 5 but still perfectly normal. Expect something in that ballpark precisionwise.

Damn.
Well, I still want that, but it's annoying that the precision is still so poor after all these years.
Does the precision improve with cost?
What precision could I get in the $500 range? 3.5 minutes a week seems a bit much, but 1 minute a week would be bearable, I would just have to re-set it weekly.

> snk watch
> snek watch

nice

Yes they will affect your shitty watch, and more importantly your shitty watch will affect them. Don't wear your fucking watch, faggot.
t. fMRI technician

>implying a digital watch is any less of a technological marvel than an analog one

Nice dubs, check these quints

Attached: DSC_0040_crop_309x309.jpg (309x309, 77K)

Huh? How will a mechanical watch affect an MRI machine while it's not scanning?

This.
Please, OP, tell me exactly which shithole you live where you can wear whatever you like to work on precise life saving equipment.

He is clearly not bragging his watch you fucking idiot

Attached: 1493174754669.jpg (900x900, 83K)

Fire her for ruining it

I feel like I've already replied to you 3 times in the last 3 days.
Your posts stand out far more than they should.
Stop trying to fit in.

t. schizo

>*tips fedora*

mech watches are muh feelings fashion accesories for richfags and LARPers

>implying I ever implied that

Jewels are used as bearings in watches.

I mean you can spew bullshit like that all you want but it's not going to make it true

there is literally no advantage of using a mechanical watch, it's all about romanting bullshit and fashion/aestetics

I can tell the time, use it as a compass, etc.

you can do that and more for less money and more accuracy with a digital or quatz one

And?

and this is why you need to fuck off to /fa/ where watch threads officially belong

Watch threads will always be a Jow Forums thing whether the mods allow them or not. Do you think it needs to be electronic to be technology?

It is fully mechanics meaning that the magnetic fields will not modify the accuracy of your watch, nor stop it...
Tho, the accuracy is not the strongest point of this watch mine take more than 10 sec delay every week.
I do not think that it is a problem, considering the price.
Second thing is the power bank, mine can take a day off but will stop after that.

Attached: index.jpg (1280x1280, 93K)

>meaning that the magnetic fields will not modify the accuracy of your watch, nor stop it
Magnetic fields can fuck with your mainspring. Rolex even has a line of watches with Faraday cages around the movement

This. It's a superconducting electromagnet. The current never stops.
You clean the room and didn't know you had to take all metal off?

Well this is stupid just use non magnetic metal for the movement...

Specific alloys are used for temperature resistance

>youtube.com/watch?v=TN7uZ01DuQQ
>youtube.com/watch?v=tiHDsrnY83I
>ISO 764 standard

wait what temperature ?? I would be more concern about strength than temperature if I had to build a watch, I mean, temp in a watch would not go above 30C

>wait what temperature ??
The temperature of the environment around you? The mainspring's going to act differently at -40C than at 30C and everywhere inbetween; different metals used together can help negate this

that for sure, but -40C that sound a bit too much, but yeah I get the point...
I am not working on the watch industry, so I do not know what the mechanical engineer are focusing on but feels a bit like HiFi audio to me where the buyer does not know what a young modulus is so marketing people keep saying bullshit....

>-40C that sound a bit too much
I just used the lowest temperature it hits in my area and the highest temperature you listed