Linux allows you to change the root password without knowing it

>linux allows you to change the root password without knowing it
nice security freetards

Attached: 963_vau6Xw1.png (326x326, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kernel.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That would mean having escalated privileges which would be through a live cd, meaning someone has physical access.

>live cd
Incorrect

You need to have write access to /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow, which means you already have to be root to change root's password. Not sure what you are so upset about - this applies to all operating systems.

>an administrator can change his own password

Oh no.

>rd.break
>get root
oh

OP proving once again Winfags know nothing about security but like to pretend they do

Instead of posting vague memes to pretend you're smart, why don't you explain this freecuck

Which would bring us to again.

To use rd.break you need physical access or administrator access on the virtualization platform.

>passing all security responsibility to Microsoft or VMware
Good one freetards

Can you into computing

>implys he knows what hes talking about without contributing anything of value
Can you?

Physical access. The only way to combat this at all, on any OS, is encrypting system partition, which is possible on Linux, then you'd definitely need encryption password to change root password.

>physical access should make all other security defunct
lmao

You clearly are pretending to be retarded for whatever reason it is, but just in case you're not, take a moment to actually read my post.

>take a performance hit in order to bypass a terrible security flaw
lmao

There is no security flaw. You can't protect yourself against physical access without encryption.

>You can't protect yourself against physical access without encryption
lmaoing at freecucks

That's about all you can do in this situation.

>>linux allows you to change the root password without knowing it
factually wrong.

"Linux" as you call it, which is in fact gnu + linux, provides enough tools to inform you about a password change of a user.

>excuse me sir but someone has raped and murdered your wife, I didn't stop it but at least you know

>being this retarded
lmaoing at winbabbies

>>linux allows you to change the root password without knowing it

That was, what OP was complaining about.

Well it's the same on Windows. If someone gets my disks, meaning physical access, my choice of OS does not mean shit. You can just mount the disk elsewhere or just use a live medium.

Is English not your first language?

Correct

It shouldn't, but that's how it is. You cannot make physical access harmless without encryption.

Just move it into the cloud, hackers got no airplane!

> Brainless frog poster

Your argument is invalid.

I don't know if you're actually brain-dead or not but having physical access to any device means it's over. Stop acting like you know about security and go read a book.

>just accept this security hole goy
hmm

Attached: 4d6.gif (600x694, 10K)

>this applies to all operating systems.

Not on macOS.
If you don't know the FileVault password (which is on by default), you're screwed.

wow, you're enthusiastic. I didn't tell you to accept it. Depending on your setup you can secure your hardware accordingly to withstand physical based vulnerabilities. Windows is much worse in this regard, but whatever I don't really feel like arguing with some no brainer zoomer before I've had my coffee.

you can do it on windows too
linux just doesn't try to defend itself from it's administrator so it's straightforward

>Windows stores full passwords of all logged in users in RAM and you absolute CAN get them, with mimikatz for example
Whoops, time to get spectre'd.

Linux is a kernel and it isn't free software either.

Attached: sensible chuckle.gif (250x250, 993K)

It's distribution under the GNU GPLv2 makes it free software.

>don't talk to me before i've had muh coffee
You are a walking meme. Consider suicide freetard

We call it linux because that’s it’s kernel which is the most important part of the os. GNU and smugman can die together.

Why you even answer to hom, its obvious that he is either trolling or torally retarded and won’t change his mind. No sense in discussing security with such a braindead

It really isn't. Without the GNU utilities, Linux would be nothing more than an empty shell.

wierd flex, but ok

Are you trying to protect the OS, or your data? If it's the data, just encrypt it, no OS can secure unencrypted data (just take the disc out lmao) and knowing the root password won't help accessing encrypted data at all.

If you're trying to protect the OS then just realise that someone with physical access can just fucking reinstall it to get rid of your root password (if the system partition is unencrypted, but if it is, then you don't get the issue from the OP).

That's only true for parts of it, other parts are proprietary blobs - that makes Linux as a whole non-free.

Blobs are not a part of the kernel, they are loaded dynamically.

My little sister keeps telling me that apple is better than linux. Is it true?

Yes. Apple doesn't have this glaring security hole both wintards and freecucks have accepted as part of life.

Even worse, you can change the root password just by knowing the password. You don't even need to know, you can just guess it correctly. No physical access required, just a way to input a password which happens to be the right one. Windows and OSX STILL has not fixed that bug. Only once I managed to make a password I could not change by knowing that password, since it requires special characters from the Unicode table.

> Not in MacOS
you're right, in MacOs you just need to spam a button

>The only way to combat this at all, on any OS, is encrypting system partition, which is possible on Linux, then you'd definitely need encryption password to change root password.

>Windows
Passwords in pretty much plain text, backdoored volume encryption
>Mac OS
Stores encrypted volume passwords in literal plain text
>Linux/bsd
Its safety is entirely up to how you set it up
If I gave two shits about security my choice would be hardened Linux or openbsd.

SHOTS FIRED!

>this applies to all operating systems
Freedos doesn't have this problem.

Attached: 1544231426130.jpg (563x563, 49K)

>encrypt your install
>????
>attackers need decryption key to do anything
Or
>password lock bios
>attackers literally can't boot the system

Keep telling yourself that.

>type in root
>get root access
yes, MacOS is SO secure

>my windows is safe if I just put a password on it
If your HDD is not encrypted and someone has physical access to it, no matter how much security layers you put on it he can just take the hdd out and clonezilla it 1:1.

You are not safe if you have windows on your computer at all. Windows has more NSA backdoors than lines of code in systemd

Show me the blobs in the kernel.
kernel.org/
I'll wait.

Never said it was safe to use windows. But using windows + bitlocker at least prevents your average jammal to access your precious data.

*ports BSD utilities*
did you say something?

The most popular Linux distro doesn't have any GNU utilities. Coincidence?

You can stop this by encrypting your kernel/system partition, which you can do in Linux.
You can't stop denial of service, but that's literally impossible to stop if someone has physical access, you can just unplug the machine.

If someone could do that they had already have full control of the system. No way or use to mitigate this after the fact. I don't see how this would be specific for using the Linux kernel. On a sane system this intrusion would be detected and signalled anyway.