What advantage does Linux have over Windows beside muh customization?

What advantage does Linux have over Windows beside muh customization?

Attached: cinnamon.png (1920x1200, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Absolutely nothing.

privacy and really simple software updates

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1507694166328.png (1458x779, 570K)

if you're a developer or doing anything in computer science Linux provides you with way better tools and you end up using Linux itself as an IDE
some libraries are developed for linux with windows as an afterthought at best, especially scientific ones

adding a dependency is just a one liner with your package manager, on windows that's a fucking mess
linux is exposed like an API that you can interact with however you want, through ssh, rpc etc
the standard way of interacting with windows is through the fucking gui, there is no unified way to interact with it otherwise

It's literally useful to 0.0001% of the population.
Meanwhile, using Windows, you can be as productive as you want.

You end up using the kernel as an IDE? Wow!

>Linux
"Linux is a family of free and open-source software operating systems built around the Linux kernel."
"For the kernel, see Linux kernel."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

You don't really GET wikipedia, do you? Anyone can write anything. Yes, even you, you "special" little boy! Just click the edit button and you can make it say whichever opinion you want!

GNU/Linux is free as in freedom.

>The Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to refer to the operating system family, as well as specific distributions, to emphasize that most Linux distributions are not just the Linux kernel, and that they have in common not only the kernel, but also numerous utilities and libraries, a large proportion of which are from the GNU project.
>doesn't even read the link he posted
Shoo reddit shoo

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, Android, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Android plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Android system made useful by the Bionic corelibs, Toybox utilities and other open source software comprising a full OS designed for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.

Many users run a proprietary version of the Android system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Android which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Android system, developed by Google.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Android operating system: the whole system is basically Android with Linux added, or simply Android. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Android.

If you have to ask, you don't have the education for where it applies.

Feels good to have "GNU/Linux" filtered.

Linux doesn't randomly drop wifi connection like Windows 10. At least in my experience. So frustrating I have to restart Windows 10 every time to connect to any access point again.

GNU/Linux*

In addition to some of the things mentioned, you have vast software repos available with only the mere typing of a few words needed for installation, all free as in both freedom and beer. It's been like the "app store", loooong before there were any such things as Android and iOS.

As a societal movement, it is removing oneself from the supporting of megacorps. If we all did this, and abided by the inherent principles in all other aspects of life, we'd have a decentralized, grassroots society truly built and controlled by the people for the people.

Also, using it automatically makes one either not a faggot, or at least less of one.

You can rice a little and post on /desktop/ threads.

Attached: tfw.jpg (480x285, 25K)

If you're not a programmer IDK why you would use linux.

The only other kinds of people I can assume use it are people who don't like MS spying on them, or are people that use it solely to look like an epic hackerman and rice it to look like some shit out of the matrix

Installing and updating is faster and easier.
Driver management is easier.
My DE of choice does more than any Windows DE ever has, while being 75% lighter on resources.

freedom

>Installing and updating is faster and easier.
Installing what though? What are you installing that can't be found or is more use than on Windows?
>My DE of choice does more than any Windows DE ever has
Such as?

I'm asking sincerely. Your answers are so clichéd and vague and don't actually give any substantial info.

Not samefag, but just "apt-get update, apt-get upgrade" updates all software on the computer within anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

Installing from scratch, Debian netinst, then apt-get install, followed by writing in all desired software, within a few minutes have a fully outfitted, totally custom system. Quickly edit a few text files and it's now fully configured (for example, adding an audio group to give audio production software proper RAM access).

By this time, you'd *maybe* have seen your fresh Windows desktop and still have hours of updating and software installation/configuration ahead.

As for DE, I don't use one, just Openbox window manager, which is nothing but a black screen. Right click anywhere in it and there's my menu with access to all programs. This all boots to about 90 MB of RAM, so I'm running a full audio production system on a 12 year old laptop bought for $100 used off eBay.

And there too, with the GNU/Linux JACK audio system, all of my FREE, open source (therefore far more likely to be trustworthy with community code scrutiny) audio software can talk to each other. I can pipe Hydrogen drums into Ardour with timesync and multitrack record along with it / over it, and then pipe in a synth for another track, all separate apps working together rather than a bunch of competing walled gardens having to do each respective task completely separately, requiring hard static exports and imports of each type of file.

I could go on and on and on with examples like this. Key word, OPEN.

Vastly better thread scheduler and memory controller. The difference is so vast that a computer running under Linux feels dramatically faster than under windows. The overall stability of the system is far better than windows. There's also the telemetry issues with windows that are absent in Linux unless you install some 3rd party software that collects data on you.

It makes you git gud before you can start gayming

I'm not a programmer, yet I fully believe in the essential social *and* technical principles behind the entire thing. Been using GNU/Linux for maybe 20 years without writing a single line of code, and as I just mentioned above, I can use it on a 12 year old $100 used laptop booting to a 90 meg "desktop". I don't give the slightest fuck about "looking like" anything to anyone, I've spent the bulk of my life in solitude. And as for "ricing", screenshot of my actual "desktop" included and related. I had to hover the bottom to get the bar to show, otherwise it's just pure black zenness.

Attached: 2018-12-12-131824_1280x800_scrot.png (1280x800, 26K)

KDE Connect

It's not made by pajeets, it doesn't spy on you, it's free as in free beer, it's free as in freedom, it's lighter on resources, it's for straight men, it's faster, it doesn't treat you like a toddler.

Updates are easier as they don't require a reboot/shutdown.

Security.
Customization at a level windowsfags would never even dream about it, and I'm not talking about ricing, you can set custom flags in your kernel, choose your WM, DE, choose your Shell variant, etc.

Package manager
Update when you want
Updates don't take the whole pc hostage
(depends on the distro) package manager can revert updates and/or freeze packages to a version of your liking
You can choose your filesystem
You can choose your desktop environment
Virtual filesystem model is not a drive letter system relic from the DOS era
Fully open source, save from some optional drivers and applications
Fully usable command-line environment
All of the advantages of a (modular) monolithic kernel, with little to none instability
(depends on the distro) fully featured system (video/network car driver, web browser, mail client, office suite, video player) available after a fresh install
(depends on the distro) No builtin telemetry
(depends on the distro) Better security

Attached: 473212672503185410.png (126x128, 33K)

no spyware, viruses. I don't type out credit card info on windows machines...

>so I'm running a full audio production system on a 12 year old laptop bought for $100 used off eBay.
o.O I thought I was the only one.

>with the GNU/Linux JACK audio system, all of my FREE, open source (therefore far more likely to be trustworthy with community code scrutiny) audio software can talk to each other.
Let us not forget: In almost realtime with almost no latency.

This, even people who still use Windows at least install cygwin because cmd is trash

it's a shame there are almost no high quality vsts available, linux is the ideal kind of environment for audio

>o.O
Did I warp back in time to 2005?

It really just comes down to preference. If you hate using CLI, Linux probably wont for you. If you like the ability to customize programs how you like, you might be interested in it. It honestly all comes down to which one is more fun/comfortable for you.

True. But I have to say that I personally do not suffer that much from this as my use case is probably a bit different: mostly live or fake live recordings with minimal basic editing. Calf is more than enough for me and for that one time I need a certain winVST, I use carla+wine.

Yes, *almost*, and must occasionally rerun a track due to overruns!

I don't know if you did. But I certainly did with the help of my 100$ ebay laptop that works as a great audio recording machine thanks to the great linux kernel and jack audio daemon.

System D called it told me about your disgusting habbits you thought were private

could you get cracks working with wine, or even just the standard license server/dongle crap if you pay?

I don't even know what cracks is

I never tried anything else except for standard winVSTs, sorry. But they worked good (in general).

bless you

>Calf is more than enough for me

Same. I never think about what I could do if I had some shit I don't have, I stay focused on discovering what I can do with that which I do. Often, when someone wishes to have something from the Winworld, they are attempting to mimic something that's already been created. I prefer the more organic potentials that the GNU/Linux tools offer towards original, unique electronic creativity.

it has:
muh security
muh package management
muh bash (powershell is light years behind of it regardless of what you've been told)
muh not taking up half of the memory while idle
>you thought were private
systemd is open-source, which means every aspect of it is documented.
try harder next time m8

Android is actually ARC plus Linux

bsd???

Exactly. My linux and jackd setup is what a studio in the 60ies was, mimicking what as "real hardware" at absurd costs, but at no cost. And I like it that way. It is not Logic or protools, but I don't want that. If I wanted or needed that, I'd have to buy a Mac.

1. Windows is spyware.

2. Windows costs money (and you're paying for it if it comes with the computer), Linux is free (except if if you actually want to support the project and decide to make a donation).

3. Windows pushes closed source proprietary shit on you to leave you no choice but to obey them, while Linux pushes manufacturers and software designers to make their work open source and accessible for all sorts of further adaption and development.

4. Windows is made to force changes on your computer, while Linux is made to let you control exactly what your computer is doing.

5. Windows dumbs things down, Linux makes you smarter. If you learn how to use the shell, regex etc. a lot of repetitive tasks can be done in a single command line (such as unzipping a bunch of files, looking for something in the output of a program, overwriting a disk with random data, changing text files to upper case...).

6. Linux is more geared towards people who know (or want to learn some) programming and computers, and has a bunch of useful and free tools to that effect. Advanced cracking software, professional webhosting software, and so on.

7. In general, software for Linux is free!

8. Windows will reboot and "update" whether you like it or not, and download shit behind your back. Linux doesn't even have to reboot to update, and it's stable as fuck.

Attached: 13.jpg (553x768, 39K)

>60s

In some ways even older, I make a lot of use of the Aeolus pipe organ emulator! My only lament there is not having the hardware and an assistant for volume door controls, which the software *does* support.

pasta?

however I disagree with 5 and 6:
5. Windows is actually very complicated, which is the reason why every non geek needs a geek to occasionally reinstall the whole fucking system. It always ends in a mess. It is also not dumbed down. In fact many critical windows command are CLI only, but they lack even the most basic sane documentation.

6. linux on the other hand can (if linux eq simple-enduser-distro) be installed by everyone. It does not (in general) need to be setup any further. It will work after 15 minutes. But those that know shit will get even more shit done with linux than windows.

What advantage does Windows have over Linux besides muh gayemz? I'm serious. Why should I even use it when I'm not tied into any Windows specific software? Linux just works on all of my hardware and it runs the basic software that I need for home use. It costs nothing, there's no bullshit activation or product keys, no malware, no spying, no bloatware candy crush shit, no blue screens. It's simple and functional. Winshit isn't.

>inb4 muh niche piece of hardware isn't supported
Don't care.
>inb4 muh niche piece of 20 year old shitware doesn't run in wine
Don't care.
>inb4 you're too stupid to use google
Don't care.

Attached: a7fc9307e36d71aa9eadbf9b32f53fa4.jpg (1920x2173, 518K)

>works very fast
>doesn't geat ad/spy/malware
>doesn't get bloated
>is generally a pleasure to handle

I switched full linux like a month ago and I avoid ever touching windows at all.

My windows is installed on an SSD but it just takes much longer to load, then load all the bloat, load shit I never asked for, ages to respond to any click.

When I reboot my PC Linux launches instantly and all my apps from the previous session are still open.

thats why systemd had multiple cves assigned to it that allowed remote code execution as root under any system that runs systemd. remotely as root. Also Lennart studied at Hamburg University and the NSA is Redhats nr 1 contractor

>it's for straight men
well it works for me somehow
t. faggot

yes, windows complicates things intentionally:
first as an unavoidable result of legacy support for corporate
second by cretaing complications, they create the necessity of support contracts
third as obfuscation to prevent reverse engineering its functions
fourth by incompetence
fifth to hide its internals from normal home users, keeping them in the windows suggested defaults (analytics, ads, vendor lockin)

linux is dumbed down (and thats a good thing)

>had
lol
and if you don't like it there are alternatives you cuck

>thinking that edits of non verified users on often read articles just get published without prior 50 times being proof read and source checked

t. brainlet

>I can use it on a 12 year old $100 used laptop booting to a 90 meg "desktop".
This. I can reboot and be back running an application on my $40 thinkpad in the same amount of time it takes my $600 windows 10 machine to log in. Also I've never had linux crash on me unless I'm fucking with something. Can't say the same for windows or mac.

I'm not sure about the specific application but I've definitely gotten cracks to work with wine in the past. It might depend on the type of crack but I think generally the ones where you just swap dlls or executables will be fine.

b&r

command line that doesn't suck shit (powershell is a joke)
package manager that doesn't suck shit (choclately is a joke)
being able to compile shit without needing visual studio
being able to run headless
better filesystems
better server software
better dev software in general (running stuff like ruby, python etc in windows is fraught with difficulty)
better networking/routing algorithms (CAKE just landed in linux 4.19, shit is awesome)
better scheduling algorithms
configuration management tools that aren't DSC, which again sucks shit

the list is endless if you actually use your computer for shit other than league of legends and fortnite

>pure black
your bottom bar is black, your desktop color is not

It strikes me as "backlit black".

Depending on what you want to do as an individual. The best thing about Linux is that it gives you options.

Do you want to be build a minimal system with nothing but the bare essentials, you can.

Do you want to have a system that is specifically designed to do just one thing efficiently, you can.

Do you want to have a general workstation with all the possible software you might need, you can.

etc.

While options can be daunting to a new user, it's not impossible to learn.

Attached: 1535213990477.jpg (1250x1254, 299K)

fair but that's still not pure black, not trying to sperg out about it tho

>not trying to sperg out about it tho

Apparently *effortless*, then, it would seem, just a natural born sperg!

I suppose I really should have said "pure, black zenness", because the pure was actually related to the zenness, and the black was a secondary descriptor. Next, I could have further refined it as "pure, blackish zenness"!

>spectrum party

Nice little circlejerk you faggots have going on here. Things everybody forgot to mention:
>looks like shit out of the box
>can't even cd into removable drives without going through some retarded mount/unmount process
>dependency issues in your o so simple package installs, even using aptitude you're required to make choices that nobody can be reasonably expected to know about
>always having to go to the software website to add their custom channel to be able to install latest version with apt-get, might as well just kill yourself
>having to raise inotify limit for anything serious that requires it
>windows has a package manager (choco), all packages are binary so no web of dependencies
>windows has wsl that allows you to use bash
And a million other things you neckbeards are too insecure to mention.

25% of choco packages are broken pieces of shit

also I had a choco package try to install a different version of nodejs, which I already had installed (via choco). and shit went to hell once there were two nodejses next to each other

>looks like shit out of the box

Pure, blackish zenness is beautiful. What kind of faggot cares about "looks" over *function*?

>can't even cd into removable drives without going through some retarded mount/unmount process

I just stick a USB stick in, it automounts, and PCMANFM asks if I want to go directly to it.

>dependency issues in your o so simple package installs, even using aptitude you're required to make choices that nobody can be reasonably expected to know about

What? I just "dpkg -i package.deb", and if any dependency issues arise I then "apt-get -f install" and it resolves them then finishes the install.

I don't do anything faggoty enough to concern myself with any of those other "issues".

vm.swappiness

>I've spent the bulk of my life in solitude
kek

holy shit go spend 20 more years in solitude

A Y Y L M A O

Yes, and that included vagabonding the US with an actual girl, being married to her, a total of 20 years, and all that kind of shit. What a fucking annoyance a lot of that was.

Being out of date is a fairly common issue, but most softwares will automatically update themselves after you install, no problem
And what's the linux alternative?
All your counter arguments are retarded

Alpine Linux is Linux, not muh GNU/Linux. Don't even try debating this one.

you taking shit about loonix but dont even know any linux package manager?

I use it because of how easy it is to install and update software, and run a much more efficient system for my hardware. I don't need CPU/RAM wasted on pointless tasks like reminding me I disabled my virus protection or the latest version of one drive contains a new feature. It's trash, the only thing it has going for it is it's user base. Same reason ubuntu is good. It has the most users and the most support, and that's literally it. Thank the company behind them, not the operating system.

>generally takes up less storage space than windows
>don't have to open up your browser every time you want to install something
>takes up less RAM
among other things, basically this. Don't listen to anyone who says "privacy". Sure, linux systems probably has a lot less trackers than windows but it still has plenty. If your hardware is new don't even bother if your concern is privacy.

based and redpilled. wangtards BTFO

Software

Attached: 1537894378795.gif (340x340, 18K)

>Being out of date is a fairly common issue, but most softwares will automatically update themselves after you install
The point of having a package manager is so software devs don't have to bloat their shit up with a million update mechanisms.

>simple updates

Attached: thatniggagay.gif (500x281, 983K)

Browser? Do you mean file browser? Or Internet Browser?
So instead you open up the console versus a graphical user interface which is typically much easier.
Storage really shouldn't matter unless you're extremely limited in storage space, but productivity matters as well.
About the less ram, I have 16GB of ram, Windows uses less than 1GB even with some applications open, but cache is a thing with frequently used applications but in a world with an abundance of ram, I don't think 800mb vs 1GB should matter.

>a graphical user interface which is typically much easier
Opinion discarded.

Mainly efficiency. The Linux community gives a lot of thought to things like shared libraries, central software repositories, and code optimization. This in turn allows Linux distributions to pack more features into less disk space, require less memory (in most cases), install and update software more quickly and cleanly, and provide a generally more streamlined and responsive user experience.

Aside from the practical benefits, there is also the somewhat more political aspect of user freedom. The Linux kernel and its accompanying software are open source, which means not only that they are freely redistributable but also that they can be modified into entirely new products to suit a user's needs, and those resulting projects/products can be freely redistributed. It is this benefit of Linux that has allowed for derivative products like Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Android and WebOS.

You're a fucking retarded. There are GUI package managers by the way if you're such a baby and can't type a few commands.

You need to understand that customization means a lot more than just looking cool in the desktop general threads

>So instead you open up the console versus a graphical user interface which is typically much easier
There's a graphical wrapper if you're mentally handicapped.

Attached: snapshot1.png (791x539, 88K)

>shared libraries
I thought most package managers downloaded specific libraries for every program anyways.

It's free

story behind gif? name is interesting

Let's say you want to install cocks but it depends on libfaggotry. It'll install libfaggotry along with cocks. Now let's say you want to install dicks but dicks depends on libfaggotry. It won't install it because it's already installed and dicks will run just fine. That's the point of a package manager. It tracks all these programs and their locations and installs, links, or removes them if needed and keeps you from bloating up your system when shared resources are a thing. If you still don't understand what a shared resource is, think of your mom. She's a shared resource.

famous movie called a princess bride

Also compare this to the windows version, which is the WINSXS folder, which is a fucking abomination that fills up with crap and can't be cleaned.

You still have to exercise care, I've seen people with 10K+ packages

Thank you based windows :)

Attached: cmd_2018-12-12_20-57-52.png (765x541, 35K)

no i mean the image itself. You named it, the name is not related to the thread, so then surely you posted it somewhere else where the name was intentional. What's the story behind THAT?