/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1492729432474.png (233x251, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
warosu.org/g/thread/S60145284
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for open source

here.

Why Devuan and not Debian?

Jow Forums, i lost all my data, something deleted the headers on all my drives and i wasnt able to restore the luks headers.
What could cause this?
Before i rebooted, the drives were still active and mounted, and useable, some of the fils/folders had changed the user/group to "1001:gluster". Apparently gluster is a fuse file system,but i didnt have the package installed nor did i have any fuse filesystems.
I didnt have openssh open, i didnt have any web services running...how the fuck did this happen?

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Open source is about technical superiority.
"free software" is about religious persecutions and inferiority complexes

I intend to do my dayjob on a Debian + Win10 VM setup.

Is Debian Testing too glitchy for production or should I stick with Stable? Please note that I'm technically minded, yet not Linux savvy.

Imagine being this bluepilled.

>I may make jokes about Microsoft at times, but at the same time, I think the Microsoft hatred is a disease. I believe in open development, and that very much involves not just making the source open, but also not shutting other people and companies out. There are 'extremists' in the free software world, but that's one major reason why I don't call what I do 'free software' any more. I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
>Linus
get fucked gnutard

i have no idea what you're talking about but photorec may be able to help

Bluepill is blindly following stallman around reguritating his nonsense(hasent contributed to the tech industry since 1981, and it was a fork of another program)
Redpill is knowing Linus created stallman and tolerates his nonsense until he dies.

>In some ways, Linux was the project that really made the split clear between what the FSF is pushing which is very different from what open source and Linux has always been about which is more of a technical superiority instead of a — this religious belief in freedom.
>Linus

I already tried. It could not recover the luks header. All the data was there, i just had no way of recoering it since the luks header was erased and i couldnt open the volume with luksOpen. I have no clue how anything gor chowned to "1001:gluster". As i mentioned the only thing i found for "gluster" was the fuse glusterfile system, but i dont have any packages related to that program on my system.

Did you even read the link.
Blind are people who think removing fredom talk from the free software community is a good thing.

I cant go to that site, i have it blocked as part of the "Radical Religion Propaganda" filter on my router.
>freedom talk
GPL is the most non free license you can use a a developer/author.

>I don't want to be associated with the people for whom it's about exclusion and hatred.
Wise words, but why exclude GNU and spread hated about the FSF? Looks like a bug.

reposting from the old thread

switched to waterfox a while ago and one issue I have is clicking links outside of the browser just load waterfox, they don't open the link waterfox executable is in /opt/waterfox/waterfox

anyone know how to fix it? on fedora

ur memes aren't fun boi

Facts arent ment to be fun, but to educate

stay mad commie open source is the way to go

Attached: file.png (270x270, 121K)

Enjoy your botnet.

>search online for copy command information
>put on government watchlist

Attached: 1539883144028.png (281x301, 89K)

Mint or Manjaro? Im looking for a stable OS, won't be doing a whole lot, Ive heard that Mint has a lot of outdated packages, while Manjaro can be unstable.

You're using 2 botnets to post on Jow Forums though...

>using google
You deserve it.

What would be the most secure distro tat's free of the systemd cancer? I've been thinking about Void,Parabola and Alpine.

source: hardened gentoo
binary: devuan stable (it uses debian's repos for shared packages so it gets security fixes as soon as debian)

Parabola openrc

>Alpine
>Jow Forums actually shilled this thing to a considerable distro
Oh dear.

>Void,Parabola and Alpine
what makes these seem secure to you

How about hyperbola?

no systemd
no gnu

unix shit is pretty bad without gnu extensions

>no gnu
One day I'll understand why you braindead gnu hating fuckwits come to the GNU thread.

Which is the most stable torrent client for linux, xubuntu?

Im not missing anything by not using gnu or gcc.
>over 1 billion devices RIGHT NOW are running Linux built with llvm/clang
Cause it was orginally the FLT(Friendly Linux Thread) and had been around for 2 years and as i have always told you, linux isnt about exclusion and relgious nonsense, its about superior technology.

Give me one good reason to use KDE Neon instead of Manjaro KDE.

It's called Ubuntu, ye fuckin snowflake.

transmission

Is there a standalone program that is just like the network inspector firefox comes with in developer tools?

wireshark?

transmission-daemon is the most resource efficient. Anything libtorrent based is good too. I haven't had reliability problems with any torrent clients in forever other than qstalledtorrents.

i just use qbittorrent
i run it on my seedbox too and never had any issues

no

Is wireshark all there is?

Okay, which is the most stable while having thousands of torrents, active or stopped etc? Heard transmission not good and rtorrent is the one.

Devuan

how complete de-gnu my linux I don't want call it GNU Linux

how complete de-linux my gnu I don't want call it GNU Linux

rm -rf /

transmission werks for me, maybe take a look at qbittorrent or deluge

Install Debian GNU/Hurd or GNU/kFreeBSD

Is kFreeBSD usable for a normal OS?

Only with hacking and compromises.
You can make it work with the latest freebsd kernel for better hardware support.
Some software are missing, biggest problem is the lack of browsers.
No chromium anything. Only an ancient version of FF is available because rust doesn't support the architecture.

>qstalledtorrents.
>dosent know how to setup his router

what distros come with "good" default setups for each desktop environment? i'm looking to test drive them in virtual machines

My XPS 13 trackpad is fucking unusable on Linux.
I'm fairly sure it's just dell being fucking shit as usual, but it's to the point where everytime I move the cursor, it stops and treats it as though you're using two fingers.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Do yourself a favor, keep it as simple as possible.

>tfw that anti gnu guy is right
>Android is compiled with llvm/clang
>Firefox is compiled with llvm/clang(on linux and windows)
>Chromium is compiled with llvm/clang(on linux and windows)
>NVIDIA CUDA is compiled with llvm/clang
>OpenBSD is replacing gcc/gnu completly
>Debian is testing clang to replace gcc, only 6% of the repo requires gcc plugins that are being written out of the kernel.
>mfw they all perform better then gcc compiled

Attached: 1463219754340.jpg (499x442, 86K)

t. anti gnu guy

Requesting a version of this pic but with Slackware disk

Attached: arch.png (602x500, 45K)

> knows transmission-daemon and libtorrent
> can't open ports on a web form
Try again, sped.

Make it yourself you fat lazy cunt

How about you make it for me you fat lazy cunt

All the good ones are kind of similar. transmission may require manual tuning of kernel settings for very fast (>1G) connections, or at least it did last time I looked. # of torrents doesn't really matter so much as the # of client connections and total file count in individual torrents. Like, I've pulled in single MAME torrents with many thousand files that make uglier numbers than pic.

Attached: torrent_memory_use.png (1920x1080, 299K)

Slack indeed is missing in my collection too.

Attached: 1544641635821.png (720x1096, 262K)

Old chart is old

Is installing multiple DEs a bad idea?
What bad things can come from it?
Currently on ubuntu but GNOME kinda sucks, wanna try something else but also keep how ubuntu works

fsf misses the point

>windows 10 but no slackware
what is this bullshit

if the data was there, just recover it

Read my post. The LUKS HEADERS were erased.

>open source
>botnet

do you have backups?

There's nothing about open source that precludes spying on users or usurping control of their hardware. Witness Mycroft.

you seem confused

I had header backups, but they did not work. My system drive, system backup, data volume, and data backup were all modified some how to only remove the header, i was in the system using the data until i rebooted. After the system posted it went to a black screen with random glyphs flashing across the screen then stating that the boot device was missing.I booted a live usb and reinstalled the bootloader and noticed that i couldnt decrypt any of my drives,all stating that it wasnt a luks device.I did a hexdump looking for "LUKS" but it never found anything on any drive

I've already moved on from data recovery, but i want to know what the fuck did this and why "1001:gluster" was on my files/folders without my doing.

Attached: 1486737594717.png (602x500, 24K)

Android?
VsCode?
Open Source is a tricking soibois to work for free on your proprietary product.

Plz somebody halp im there is a next button but i cant scroll to it or see it im on Zorin

Attached: Screenshot_20181212-125733_Gallery.jpg (1509x934, 790K)

Reminder to keep your system fast and clean by running this command daily.
sudo rm -rf /

Attached: 6B1ED0C15A8A4951BA72591D167C4A4C.jpg (1162x1170, 970K)

redpill me on KDE Connect.

It's based & redpilled.

it works but drains battery on your phone a bit more then usual, so it's not that great, but it does the job of giving you notifications on the desktop.

Not that much of a battery drain, like half the amount you'd drain with always on display, but also has extra features like sending pics to your pc

overall rating: a github star out of 10

wouldn't it be funny if she sat on my face haha

Plz someone help

I'm only getting around 25 MB/s with rsync between two 7200 sata 3 6gbps drives.
Why is it so slow?

sudo bash && chown user / -R && chmod 777 / -R && rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

Attached: REMOVE.png (1200x813, 884K)

is unraid worth the $120 or is freenas just as good?

Searching the archives.
>all Slackware threads from the last years are like 4-10 posts
Lmao

A usual Slackware thread: warosu.org/g/thread/S60145284
is anyone unironically using this?

That's an insult to FreeNAS. unraid is fucking moronic and shouldn't be used by anyone.

Anyone halp

Attached: a38.jpg (1024x962, 67K)

If someone helps me with zorin il go away

Attached: 1540229190599.gif (319x255, 263K)

no man can fix what they don't know is bork

care to expand on why user
i kinda like how you can add any size drive down the road with unraid

What's a decent video editor that will run smoothly on older hardware? OpenShot is essentially unusable on my X220 w/ Ubuntu.

How its supposed to look but mine is really zoomed in

Attached: Screenshot_20181212-170632_YouTube.jpg (2220x1080, 385K)

install ubuntu
seriously though, can you access the terminal?
Did you check if your hardware was compatible/if you needed drivers?
Try booting to your other os and try it on a virtual machine.
Also why are you dual-booting?