What i can do in linux i can`t do in windows?

What i can do in linux i can`t do in windows?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (594x720, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old-and-abbandoned/issues/123
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Create a folder called AUX

Break the entire system with an update

Not delete all documents with a system update

Install a proper dark theme

Attached: 1543393569267.png (804x669, 38K)

develop with clang

Not have disk usage spikes all the time

All things that are possible on Windows.
You're implying that GNU/Linux does not require customisation, while all those things can be done with Windows with customisation too.

not have software problems you can fix in under 3 hours

Expect the system to work, once it is setup initially

install gentoo

not randomly have onedrive_setup.exe randomly use 100% of your CPU

Filepath longer than 255 char.
Have newlines be one character
Have full control over system/audit anything, no NSA blackboxes
Sane package management
Easily customize GUI
Interoperate easily with other *nix type operating systems.
Not have to use ntfs

Seamless command-line usage is the one I notice most, ie. quickly install programs with 'sudo apt-get install' rather than having to navigate to a website and run an .MSI or .EXE installer.

okay then, how do I customize my windows install to not nuke itself 50% of the time when updating?
If I don't use it for a few months and try to update it, it almost always breaks without fail.

He asked what he can do in Linux that he can't in Windows. Not the opposite.

this
you never have absolutely retarded background services raping your CPU/RAM unless you, yourself, set them up

Disk usage is another. Windows 10 just loves to rape HDD's, same HDD under Linux is a shitload faster.

MacOS/Windows is the OS for pro big government authoritarians
Linux and BSDs are for pro small government libertarians

This is basically why an SSD is a requirement for Windows 10. I already had an SSD so it didn't matter to me but for people who still refuse to use an SSD as at least a boot drive its an issue

Nothing, because you can always do ugly hacks and write your own code and drivers to implement things that are missing. A better question would be what is much easier to do on linux than windows and the first obvious thing is software management. On linux you can easily update all your software in the same manner and update them all at the same time (system update), and for developers one thing that is missing on windows is a standard library directory, so software development is much easier on linux. Install a library and just use it in your program, takes a few seconds. The same thing on windows can take more than one hour.

The unix style of "everything is a file" makes things much easier, for example you can mount a network drive (ssh, ftp, windows network drive) to a location and you can explore the external files with any software you want, the software doesn't require special program to work, it wont even know it's an external directory, this is not really possible on windows. On windows you end up requiring special software to access external files (ssh, ftp etc) and to use the files in other software you have to copy the files to your computer.

it's hilarious how fast a 7200rpm drive is in Linux. Use ext2 and it's even quicker. Windows is hot garbage on top of a smoldering tire fire.

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary.

But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available.

Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use.

In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man - without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth.

And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function.

My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

May as well just stay legal, run the Windows drivers, and run Office on the desktop instead of the linus.

>what I can do with a fork I can't do with a knife

Attached: 1519128342136.png (292x390, 7K)

use it with some stability for 10 minutes without cosntantly updating

when is this from, 2006?

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without Windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a Windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that Windows is more than just Office ? It's a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people don't realise this.

Microsoft just spent $9 billion and many years to create Vista, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and Microsoft.

It's just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of Windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

Its clearly evident that vista is the future.
One only has to watch TV for a short period of time and see the advertising.

WOW !!

I personally love the part where the young man is taking a stroll in the delightful snow covered streets, and sees firsthand a young deer with a gleefull glint in its eye. It sends a shiver down my spine. WOW is all I can say.

Vista is clearly the future of enterprise computing.

github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee-Old-and-abbandoned/issues/123

Have privacy. Your OS calls home to Microsoft or Apple every day, they have tons of info on you. Even if those companies do care about your privacy and aren't backdoored, the Feds can still hack them or get a search warrant for your info. Linux calls home to no one, you can truly be anonymous.

The best thing Linux has going for it in my opinion is the use of package managers to do all the installation, removal, and updating for basically every program on your system. It's much better than Windows' solution of having every 3rd party program run their own installers / updaters with inconsistent UI's and installation protocols.

Also, when "updating windows" I can't stand the lack of information it gives you about what is being done, it'll just sit there for long periods of time with no changes in the status of what's going on and then randomly require you to restart (sometimes multiple times) before it's completely updated. I just ran all Windows updates on my friend's mom's laptop that hasn't been updated since 2017 (she lives out in the sticks and the only internet available to her is cell phone internet via Verizon so she never updates at home). It took over 4 hours and I had to restart the computer 5-6 times. Hell, even her iTunes update required a system restart for some fucking reason.

holy fuck you weren't kidding. i really need to get off shitblows and install gentoo

Attached: 2018-12-12 14_06_32-Origin.png (480x171, 7K)

That's not a system update

Ctrl Alt F2

choose what bootloader you want
choose what initsystem you want
choose what fileformat you want
choose what windowmanager you want
choose what desktop environment you want
choose what kernel modules you want
view the source code
dont pay money
no abo for office suite

Actually have a decent logging system. God help you if something goes wrong on a Windows installation.

why not just apt install?

I noticed that as well when updating my friend's mom's laptop.. She has a decent i5 cpu and like 16GB of RAM in her laptop but has a slow 1TB HDD and the machine runs slow as shit. I opened task manager to see what the fuck was going on and CPU usage usually never gets above 15%, RAM usage never got above 30%, but disk utilization would randomly go to 99%-100% and stay there for minutes at a time. I have no idea why.

be able to mount other partitions that ntfs and fat

Day to day the biggest difference is having a package manager: one piece of software to manage all other software on your machine. Install, uninstall and update (and much more besides) all software on your machine in a few words on the command line. It's just so much better than the Windows system, or complete lack thereof.

>not using emerge

be free

dd if=/dev/sda | ssh root@remotehost 'dd of=/dev/sda'

>grep/sed/awk
>terminal text editors
>native ssh
>downloading new applications is simply typing your package manager and the new package, vs windows where you download the exe, then you have to go through the registry and a bunch of other bullshit just to get things like npm and git working properly