Has CS become a meme degree...

Has CS become a meme degree? Can someone get a job nowadays with just a GitHub "portfolio" and contributions to the open source community?
Is it best to study pure math rather than CS?

Attached: JHTxGut.jpg (1125x1417, 456K)

>pic related
Equation*

A job at some no-name startup is different than a job at FAANG. Also, the only job a pure math degree will get you is one as a math teacher.

Meme? No, not as a degree.
But it's a meme by HR departments who are stupid.

They assume computer science = IT
Wanna be a help desk monkey saying "yes sir, your password is now reset!", get a CS degree.
Wanna work at 'teh googlz'? Get a CS degree.

One needs it, one does not = retarded HR think both need it
As a sysadmin, I could do maybe 5% of what a CS degree does, at best. And that's because of powershell which is technically programming.

Likewise, a CS degree doesn't mean you know networking/servers/windows/linux/etc.
It means you know CS.

Study whatever you want. If you want to study math then study math. There are other majors that yes intersect with cs. Physics, linguistics and philosophy I've heard of programmers coming from those majors as well. If you're specifically interested in cs though there's nothing wrong with cs. It will better prepare you for software engineering.

All degrees are a meme.

Depends on how far into your education you go and what your desired job is

A bachelor's in pure math is pretty much worthless, in cs anything above a bachelor's is usually not worth it unless you want to do research/ai/some other emerging field

If you intend on being a software engineer you can be pure math but you'll be worse at your job than a CS major with an equivalent degree

Graduate degree in pure math has better return than a graduate degree in cs

how long after getting your certs did it take you to land a job becoming a sysadmin, or did you have to work your way up spending years doing help desk work?

All degrees, jobs, concepts, words are memes. Everything is retarded, get NEETbux

Attached: Stirner 34.png (500x689, 57K)

Neither.
Got a job being "IT guy" for charity.
Realized I was being given a dumping ground because the past retard thought "let's put everything on windows 10 even our 2GB RAM laptops because new windows kek"

Had to unfuck his mistakes, got a job somewhere else as junior sysadmin.
Got experience
moved up

No certs
no help desk

I quit Computer/Electrical Engineering after reaching junior level after failing every semester and I realized I fucking hated my life every day after the sophomore level courses ended. Switched to CS this semester, with the hope of transferring to another uni for InfoSec.
Did I fuck up? If you look at the /engi/ engineering general on /sci/, engineering was no better in outlook and everyone recommended not doing engineering unless you actually care and are good schitt at it. However, everyone was shitting on CS majors on /engi/ too last I checked.
So who is right? I just want an ez sit down job, don't even care about getting tons of money as well at this point as long as it supports my narrow band of eclectic interests.

Attached: 001_720x_26834ee1-eb68-42e7-81a5-ebcdfbfe1c68_720x720.jpg (720x720, 89K)

/sci/ sounds like a bunch of college undergrads who claim their major is the hardest and deserves most respect.

I don't get it. My computer engineering courses were easier. I switched to cs because I wanted to learn machine learning.

/sci/ hates CS because it's popular and has great career perspectives, as opposed to retarded degrees like pure math or physics.

It's a HUGE meme getting paid $100,000 anually making shitty iOS games is a meme bro get a trade or something

Attached: 1545736906115.jpg (688x680, 106K)

That's the most accurate definition.

based and redpilled

>Jobs
>In CS
I've been a jobcel for the past 2 and half years. If I can't get a job I doubt someone without a degree can. Do accounting or dentistry

Hurry up and get back to work Priyansh, there's ten calls in the queue and those support tickets aren't gonna close themselves.

>a CS degree doesn't mean you know networking/servers/windows/linux/etc.
>It means you know CS.
prior is just a subset of latter

Nothing beat a network in term of employment.
befriend people in the field you want to work in.

Most degrees are memes. If you spend 4 years trying to start several IT businesses then you probably end up with a higher paying job.

I learned this a little bit too late, as I have two degrees and now work for myself.

Why do meme degrees get funding? My uni tried to cut funding for some of the more bullshit degrees but then the local black community said it was racist and held a protest/rally.

I have a bachelor's in finance. I have been working in software for 2 years (writing Erlang). I am 26.

Would it be worth it to spend one year getting a Master's in CompSci? I have never had any formal computer science education and am afraid I will be cut off from management positions because of it.

I wouldn't have to pay for the degree, my wealthy grandparents are pushing me to get it.

Attached: 1355641278098.jpg (586x365, 18K)

>Erlang
lucky fucker
Get a masters in something with actually interesting course content. I haven't found any CS degrees which had interesting content.

Why would you ask Jow Forums this question and expect a balanced response?

Half of the people on this board are gaymers, shills, Jow Forumstards, unemployed functional programming LARPers, and first year undergrads. Why you ask here instead of a place where you can get actual valuable insights from industry professionals (i.e. hacker news)

You're not one of those idiots who thinks a opinion stated with more vitrol and contrarian disdain for "normies" inherently makes it more correct, are you?

I challenge you to ask the same question as OP, verbatim, on HN. You'd get shadowbanned in no time. Jow Forums(nel) is full of shit, but this is practically the only place where you can ask such a politically incorrect question.

Get a math major with a cs minor.

I mean you'd have to change "meme degree" to something less retarded sounding like "oversaturated" but I doubt you'd get shadowbanned, just downvoted for asking a non-technical question

Math major here. I don't want you niggers shitting up my field just so you can get an epic javascript job. Fuck programming software. Computers are a mistake and should have been left as fancy calculators as they were intended to be. Seriously, I don't wanna meme on all of you guys as we're on a technology board afterall, but do you really want to nurture Pajeet's shitty API and pray to Christ every year that HR doesn't replace you for someone cheaper in the third world? Programming as a field is a meme, and if you've already made it, congratulations, but the market is oversaturated, and I was rigorously warned against the profession by multiple family members who are seniors in the field, as they made it quite clear that newcomers are not welcome because they actually expect to be paid something. Look into some kind of engineering field if you want to deal with fun math and science stuff, stay away from compsci.

Attached: 1546215794302.gif (600x450, 1.8M)

>you'd have to change "meme degree" to something less retarded
My case in point: outside of 4chink, you have to apply self-censorship.

>Math major
But I don't want to be a math teacher

That is basically it
Then most of them don't graduate anyway.

>he thinks being scolded for using imprecise language like referring to everything as a "meme" is equivalent to censorship
Kek

You're a retard if you don't understand the sociopolitical ramifications of this kind of stupid shit on your future. Does it sound stupid? Yes, of course it sounds stupid, it's buttfuck retarded, but our society is collapsing and the most menial shit offends everyone and their mother. You don't realize just how precious anonymity is. It might not seem like a big deal, but anonymity is what allowed things like the American Revolution to prosper and flourish. It's the ultimate tool against those who wish to destroy us. It's also really good for shitposting.

Attached: 1344930366387.jpg (800x608, 172K)

>yfw hitler dubs BTFO /sci/

Attached: 1546023884104.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

Look for a short term full stack course, it's like getting a shot of adrenaline over the slow drip feed of watered down coffee that is CS

Show us your CV/portfolio.

whats the joke here?
hes lying about not being able to read?
why?

politics is a direct outgrowth of technology.
the industrial revolution was responsible for communism, fascism, nationalism, innumerable social reform movements, propulation growth, urbanization among others.
it is imposible to seprate the consquences, intended or unintended, of technology from technology itself, nor indeed would it be wise to intentionally blind yourself to them.

This

Alabamians practice incest and can't read.

>the market is oversaturated
>newcomers are not welcome
As someone who got a CS degree about two years ago and couldn't get a programming job after 14 months of trying and now just works IT, I've realized this is definitely true. Fuck CS, waste of time, I could have spent that 4 years starting and advancing a career.

It sounds like you're just shit. I got a job out of university after applying to about 5 places, 2 of which got back to me for an interview.

this. The kind of shit my IT friends talk about is waaaay over my head. I know a little bit thanks to my father (IT contractor himself) but the shit that IT, and even some devops professionals do is far outside the scope of an average CS/CE/EE.

Dunning-Kruger effect at its finest

You're either extremely lucky, you had connections, or you had something else going for you other than a CS degree. A used square of toilet paper is as worthwhile as a CS bachelors nowadays.

you are a bad programmer

why are you not getting a job? no one is contacting you? or you are failing technical exams? they dont like you after interview?

everyone laugh at the retard who wasted 4 years and $40,000

currently working as a software developer without a degree and I get constant recruiters contacting me to interview somewhere else

if you can't find work with a CS degree then you are the problem, not the job market

how does someone do it for 4 fucking years and they are still too retarded to know they suck. like are you thinking at all about what you are doing

>why are you not getting a job?
If I knew I'd be fixing whatever it is I'm doing wrong.
> no one is contacting you?
I've had lots of interviews, but they never get back with me afterwards. Whenever I would try to contact them, I'd get the generic "we don't know yet, we'll let you know." Sometimes I get a template email months later saying they hired someone else (I still get them occasionally).
> or you are failing technical exams?
I don't think so, I usually feel at least somewhat confident in how I do.
>they dont like you after interview?
Maybe, I'm not a very social person and I know my general lack of social skills gives some people a bad impression of me. But I always try extra hard to act like a normal person during things like interviews.

> Maybe, I'm not a very social person and I know my general lack of social skills gives some people a bad impression of me. But I always try extra hard to act like a normal person during things like interviews.
When they send you back those emails consider asking them for feedback. alternatively find someone who you can do some practice interviews with and they can give you some feedback.

> I don't think so, I usually feel at least somewhat confident in how I do.
Its rare to have one that is ambiguous in my experience... are you finding the solutions or not?

>Can someone get a job nowadays with just a GitHub "portfolio" and contributions to the open source community?
Sort of. You still need functioning projects. The more people that use them, the better. You also need to know people. Don't think you're going to get the job by applying on indeed, or the company website. You wont. If you're going to contribute on GH, find out where the team discusses things, if they do. If they're on IRC, get on there, and start talking to people. Get on linkedin as well. Talk about the shit you're doing.

How is OPs question politically incorrect?

I’m not even a CS major and you’re a fucking idiot. Of course a different field would be “way over your head.” CS is a subfield of math, like physics, so you should have a good mathematical background rather than being an IT monkey. I don’t understand why CS is the one field where no one even knows what it is.

Because most undergraduate CS programs have a focus on programming and software development, leading people to think that CS is just programming or that it means "know everything relating to computers".

Implying that CS and the current educational system are bullshit is pretty much villifying the bases of our society. Since such a realization may threaten the current course of things, it is politically incorrect.