Debian

Debian is literally the best distro

>Older than gentoo or Arch
>Can be minimal
>Wiki is solid
>Website is not bloated
>Stable as fuck
>has many many packages

Attached: 581px-Debian-OpenLogo.svg.png (581x768, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
devuan.org/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=138848
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Systemd
>Outdated as fuck packages
>Binary distro
>Trannie sjws

iirc the debian online community didn't really seem to give a fuck when ian died. kinda shitty behavior on their part tbqh

>Systemd
All distros have this cancer
>Outdated as fuck packages
Also has bleeding edge packages
>Binary distro
What distro do you use?
>Trannie sjws
Ummm, linux is infected by sjws

thats because debian men don't cry like bitches.

Why are you even using GNU/Linux at all? OpenBSD sounds like more your thing.

I agree fren, but what is the point of this thread? Shilling!?

TO MAKE PEOPLE SWITCH TO DEBIAN

Debian is good, but it's main downfall is/will be systemd.
Debian - systemd = Devuan
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
devuan.org/

Attached: top_gear_ira_edition.jpg (615x409, 58K)

i'd rather use void, gentoo or anything else besides devuan faggot

>can be minimal
apt
apt-get
apt-key
apt-query
apt-cache
apt-cdrom
apt-config
apt-sortpkgs
apt-ftparchive
apt-extracttemplates
dpkg
dpkg-query
dpkg-reconfigure
dpkg-preconfigure
dselect
aptitude
synaptic

o i am laffin

You don't need systemd with Debian, just pin it -1 install systemd-shim and sysvinit and don't try to install KDE (can't do that on devuan either)

i'm not seeing a problem

apt
apt-get
apt-key
apt-query
apt-cache
apt-cdrom
apt-config
apt-sortpkgs
apt-ftparchive
apt-extracttemplates
dpkg
dpkg-query
dpkg-reconfigure
dpkg-preconfigure
dselect
aptitude
synaptic

and this is why nobody likes debian

What is the problem?

Yeah what the fuck is up with this? Which distro does it right and also has a good amount of recent packages available?

Gentoo

Which distro in addition to Gentoo does it right?

Use whatever distro you want faggot.
Devuan is good for those who are familiar with debian-like distros but don't want systemd.
sure, if that works for you.
I rather just have a debian-based distro that has systemd patched out already. Also, xfce is the default de.

>apt-cdrom
there are a lot of things I like about Debian, but whoever wrote this needs to be shot, because they carefully made extra sure that it will completely refuse to deal with anything that is not a real optical drive. Local directory? Nope. dd'd an ISO to a flash drive? nope. Disc image mounted on a loopback device? HEY FUCK YOU THAT'S NOT A REAL CD-ROM DRIVE! If you ever want to install a system offline, and need any packages that aren't in the first dvd-sized image, you're in for a world of fucking annoyance. The giant blu-ray sized images won't even let you install, the installer says "Hey, this is the BD-R image, I'll call apt-cdrom since this must be an optical drive and not just a big flash drive, right?" And then apt-cdrom refuses to have anything to do with you and the installer dies.

auracle-git
pbget
repoctl
yaah
aurel
cower
aurge
aurutils
bauerbill
pkgbuilder
repofish
rua
burgaur
spinach
aura
packer-aur-git
pakku
pikaur
trizen
wrapaur
yay
aurman
yaourt
argon
cylon
pamac
pkgbrowser
octopi
aur-out-of-date
aurpublish
pkgbuild-watch
pkgbuildup
pkgoutofdate
and this is why nobody likes arch

> depriving yourself of Debian fixes
> relying on older packages
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
Unfortunately, as other systems seem to be unmaintained, they'll be removed from Debian eventually: forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=138848
I bet the Devuan project will die right this moment, since it's maintained by less than five people and they don't have resources to test another init with Debian packages.

it's a good distro, op

Why are their packages so outdated? Seriously, what's the reason behind it?

Unless you have a moderately new computer and don't want shitty open source drivers

is there an actual feature you're missing

half of these are just frontends for pacman

>just use yay
git gud

Because Stretch was released, like, three years ago? They don't break compatibility by introducing a higher version of a package into a stable branch. If you want it, use third-party repos. Buster freeze soon, release will be this year.

>having choices and an active user development community is bad

Attached: 1547263122863.png (204x208, 33K)

devuan, can be a clean minimal and near vanilla Debian setup with minimal effort and no system dicks. You purposefully avoid debian, showing them that there are people who care about the systemd issue. Also its easier for devuan to maintain comparability blacklists so you don't have to bother finding out. Adding standard Debian repos works fine though

> half of these are just frontends for pacman
Every apt-command is dpkg frontend.

If you think about it, systemd is the right way to go. Your init's job is to start system services. What it does instead is run some arbitrary shell scripts. It's just a half assed solution by lazy programmers who were too lazy to write a proper init and hacked a bunch of slow and non standard scripts and now it's just a tradition, not the way it should be.

but dpkg fucking sucks.

Also some packages are only on snap and it FUCKING SUCKS EVEN MORE

bloat

Not me but see:
Yeah you can get around systemd while still having Debian, but I rather say 'fuck you' to the debian devs and support/use a fork like Devuan.
Hopefully the Devuan project won't die, because systemd is just going to dig its claws deeper and deeper until Debian workarounds get very difficult or impossible.

the problems with systemd run deep and are irreconcilable with the gnu/linux philosophy.

all I have to add to this discussion

Attached: cringe and gnupilled.jpg (251x21, 2K)

Something to consider is that if Debian becomes too systemdicked for even devuan to gracefully resolve; it will require a major update, at which point you could just abandon ship to wherever the growing anti-sysd crowd goes

Yes, those features of Eclipse introduced after 2012.

Attached: firefox_2019-01-12_21-55-49.png (353x66, 2K)

>ramlet

oh shit nigga just install intellij.
What do you say? Intellij isn't in the package manager either? Oh no no no

And what is this "philosophy" exactly?

>older
outdated
>stable
buggy because it doesn't backport anything relevant
>many packages
clusterfuck
at least can be minimal, but is a big piece of shit.
Install Fedora.

If I wanted to manage programs manually I'd rather use Windows, thank you.

> >stable
> buggy
and
> Install Fedora.
Please.

I installed intellij via package manager just yesterday. Fucken nice to have a good distro

devuan is great, you're just a nigger or a shill

fedora churns too much, and i'd rather not be a beta tester for the latest round of poetteringware

Yes, I will have to do that if it comes down to that. No argument there.

almost all of that was replaced with apt.

Debian is broken by design.
Install Gentoo.

Devuan and mx shills need to die.
Is like you take a well maintained distro like Debian security, shave it up your ass, remove something and then call it a new distro. And then you don't have security advisories.
Just fucking absolutely awesome dude.
Letting those CVE affect your system is more secure than having systemd right?
LmaoHhahahahahHaHAHAHAHAH stupid hipsters don't even know what a CVE is he's just gonna Google it to find itself assblasted HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA go use Linux mint that's more your speed
>no u
Red Hat got right stability, they update desktop applications and have new kernels with software collections on the enterprise distros. And Fedora is just perfect for a desktop, is what the old Red Hat offered.
>beta tester meme
Don't be a retard, fixes for older versions are made out of upstream fixes, it's secure enough and stable for a desktop. Better than arch or Debian testing/Sid for sure.
But I don't like having a lot of upgrades often because of bandwidth. Though Delta RPMs are cutting down that.

chill out user

Attached: 1445931646547.gif (160x160, 178K)

> Red Hat got right stability
RHEL, not Fedora. Shilling Fedora in a Debian thread is like shilling Ubuntu x.10.
> is what the old Red Hat offered
...7yr old packages?
> secure enough and stable for a desktop
Secure enough
Stable... For a desktop
There's a couple of great Fedora slogans you generated.
kek.

>claims Devuan is terrible
>therefore, systemd is good
nigger, are you inbred, or just retarded?

Debian
>no grsecurity/apparmor/selinux by default
>enables services as soon as they are installed
>takes weeks to backport important security fixes already available on other distros
>takes weeks for security updates
>weeks for security
dropped
When there is a vulnerability up it's not good, but they get patched immediately. SystemD it's a big surface of attack for it being an admin tool, but removing it while letting all other vulnerabilities even for more time than Debian (being that Debian itself takes time to fix) it's just a fucking joke as security ops. You're not quite smart to call me retarded.
There's slackware and gentoo which don't use systemd, doesn't mean it's more secure, is just that they have less to deal with.

lol yeah if you install every package manager and AUR helper like a fucking retard bwahahaha
never use arch or reproduce

Attached: 1547265321919.jpg (640x636, 85K)

>has many packages

yea, and also many missing packages, because of muh elitist philosophy.

Arch

>weakest wiki of any distro that has one
>ancient bugs in 'stable' packages
>'security' team decides to not include Intel's microcode security patches
>the concept of backports
>'curl this script from the internet and run it as root' is an acceptable way of installing officially supported software
>the only package manager that needs you to manage config files for everything you install

can you give one example of arch being using for something productive, like a website or something

it's also bait and switch unless they recently changed
the live version contains nonfree stuff to make sure everything works for your testdrive, then you install and you're missing important drivers

> selinux
I've actually talked with one pentester. Great guy, 2nd place in CTF by Positive Technologies, later got hired by them. He raised a good point about these systems: when he's got a shell inside a server, there's no point in elevating privileges, he'd rather investigate the network using a non-privileged user for which he acquired a shell.
> >weeks for security
> dropped
Yes, testing isn't that good for anything with tight security requirements and I don't recommend it.

debian use only brainlets

pham, Devuan is a parallel fork of Debian. It trails along updating itself behind Debian. It goes without saying that there is going to be more time between the presence of a vulnerability and the fix employed in devuan. Devuan is good for people familiar with Debian. If I wanted to go deeper, I'd move over to Gentoo or something, but I'm not, nor pretend to be a hackerman. I'm more anti-systemd than I am pro-devuan.
It isn't difficult to keep backups and a sterile computer either way.

Systemd, outdated packages, tranny infested like most of linux. No thanks.

>bauerbill

Attached: 1502220766588.jpg (500x500, 46K)

He killed himself after being framed and assaulted by the police. He could face a lengthy time in prison for a crime he never committed just because the police mistook him for someone and didn't like when he fought back. His death was an absolute tragedy and preventable too. The fact nobody in the Debian community started some kind of crowdfunding or campaign to have the whole thing investigated shows how much of detached sociopaths they are.

fuck you use the -d flag

the live cd isn't a preferred installation method, debian doesn't really take the installation over wifi use case seriously

>weakest wiki
lol

yes and poor man pages because half of Debian doesn't even speak english, cope more pajeet not everyone reads Spanish or Indian

actually the only thing Debian takes seriously is their circlejerk mailing list.

use a snap

>All distros have this cancer
not really
>Also has bleeding edge packages
cant even compile most shit because outdated qt and other dependencies

void is for kiddies
bet you cant install gentoo
faggot

arch wiki runs on arch

dae sjws are bad

The operating system isn't very important for a web server.
But for now my VPS runs arch and provides services people use daily and it has 355 days of uptime. I'll bring it down when I switch to a better distro (probably GUIXSD).

Besides how every Apache 500 error page manages to list Ubuntu or Debian as the host the only time I've heard of Debian being used on a web server was the time a friend of mine evaded a ban by popping some Chinese server and proxying through it.

Compare the pages for Xorg from Debian's, Arch' and Gentoo's wikis for a simple example.

All of this snap/flatpak/appimage shit is from the Debian realms, isn't it?
It's the only distro that has such glaring issues with its packaging.

such is the price of being the universal operating system

iirc arch's website is/was a debian box and also paid for by the debian project

The arch wiki is the only good thing about arch.

>web-oob is bad because boobs are offensive and not nice

Attached: tea in face.jpg (707x1000, 120K)

Trannies so jealous of breasts that they get triggered by the very mention of them.

breasts are like the one thing a tranny wants that are actually obtainable

listen too me, retards.
gentoo only hard for start.
after 2-5 years of reinstall/compiling system
you can imagine how really does fuckin operating system works
and its easy
i use gentoo 4.20.1 + gcc 8.2.0-r6
this is fresh, modern and stable system.
not remember when it crashes.
botnet free, systemd free, poettering free, god-based metadistro

Do it! Install it! Fuck plebs!

Attached: chad.jpg (500x500, 47K)

>All of this snap/flatpak/appimage shit is from the Debian realms, isn't it?
No
>It's the only distro that has such glaring issues with its packaging.
No

Don't use it then. Your mind's already made up to not like it if you point out a problem, are directed to a solution, and then still complain that the solution wouldn't be necessary if there wasn't a problem.

>void is for kiddies
i use void

Attached: chad-void-user.jpg (2448x3264, 2.11M)

>age matters
>minimal is not the default
>he needs wiki to do things
>website matters
>systemd is """"stable"""" now
>bloated official repos

Debian is the betrayer disto. If they had rejected systemd then it would have stayed as a red hot oddity. Instead it is everywhere now.

What OS you use

holy shit user pls post moar of u

/thread

He's larping, that image was posted a few months ago. However, void is still based and nonsystemdpilled.

>trannies
it's honestly painful being on some of their irc channels where mentally ill men keep referring to themselves in the third person as "her", "she", etc. like they're desperately trying to reinforce their retarded life choice.

Honestly this. Debian was the distro with the most authority in the matter. Debian rejecting systemd would have meant the end of it. Instead, they let it take root.
Debian used to be good, but now it's but a shadow of its former self. There is a better distro for virtually every use case.

ubuntu would've used it no matter what debian decided just like they did with upstart

pacman is the only one officially supported by arch. The others aren't even in the repos. Debiantards are pathetic.

>He's larping, that image was posted a few months ago
did the poster share any more pics? no homo

if being trans was a life choice, why would someone choose to be trans when there are people willing to kill them?

>people willing to kill them
Themselves?

no, other people

They didn't accept it lightly. The technical committee spent a long time reviewing the options and each member gave a very informed review of their choice. There was autistic fits of rage from some members of the committee who disagreed with the majority that chose systemd.

Attached: murdocked.jpg (200x300, 8K)

based and redpilled
>systemd
like fuckin openrc is any better?
>outdated pkgs
If you use Stable, yes.
>binary distro
I don't like waiting 7 hours for one package
>tranny SJWs
Like that's a bad thing.