* laughs at you *

>mfw posting from plan 9

Attached: mfw.jpg (1920x1080, 279K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/rob_pike/status/1055632360606035968
'
'
track8.mixtape.moe/dbvmmr.txt
blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2019/02/15/whats-new-for-wsl-in-windows-10-version-1903/
9p.io/sys/doc/
9p.cat-v.org/
9front.org/
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf
github.com/froggey/Mezzano
hooktube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

enjoy your poorly designed user interface

based and redpilled
cringe and bluepilled

*not even thinks about you*
>posted from windows 10

Imagine using this piece of shit that even the creator abandoned (and he is a proud macfag)

Does Plan 9 have USB support yet?

You mean gnome? Yeah that must suck

9front does

If it's so good, how come it has completely and utterly failed to displace the unix-like operating systems it was intended to improve on?

I know that. But that's just because it can no longer fulfill his needs with any amount of reasonable effort. It does fulfill my needs, though.

How can anyone do that mouse chording shit. Its so confusing.
Acme is a steaming pile of shit I dont want to use my mouse when editing

what? it takes like 10 mins to get used to

>snarf
>can't just say copy like a not fat person

Why do you care so much about the name of something? I bet you also interject about GNU/Linux.

>swapping bell labs cshit for yet more bell labs cshit
Wew.

why did that os suddenly become so popular on these boards? like no one posted about it a while ago but now many do

License.

I started this meme with the 9front book. Btw i use 9front

Attached: IMG_20190222_153410.jpg (3000x3417, 3.38M)

>applefag
>brainlet Vim user
>neet

What browser is that? mothra doesn't have columns. Do you have a Jow Forums pass to post without JS?

i bet it full fills your needs fgt

Seeing as captcha won't work and you don't have a pass I doubt you are posting in plan 9

I almost bought that yesterday but then I quickly browsed through the content and saw that it doesn't contain much usefulness

>t. projecting
also all (living) creators of Plan 9 are now applefags, just sayin

Many still use sam and acme via plan9port

>plan9ports exits
>which means people are using it
nice logic m8

9front gommies are obnoxious as hell.

>gnome
>abandonedware
cringepost of the year

I'm using plan9port, but for plumber which is far more useful than acme.

?
twitter.com/rob_pike/status/1055632360606035968

>mfw posting from plan 9
That's great! It's always good to see people using different kinds of tech here.

Attached: plan_nanachi.png (936x526, 186K)

>plumber which is far more useful than acme
Can you elaborate on that? What does plumber do?

takes string
runs it through few recognizer
if some finds a match, it does some action

e.g. you select web URL and run it to plumber
there is a recognizer that matches '' and '' strings
it opens the string in web browser

the whole thing can be implemented with xdg-open and few lines of shell script

Can someone explain the raspberry pi meme to me? What does it have to do with 9front?

That is the latest release of 9front, it has some Pi related additions to it.

cringe

Stop using acme instead of sam

Attached: 1490828104510.jpg (480x360, 23K)

There is no possibility to have colour highlight for source code with acme/sam?

Reminder not to use 9front: track8.mixtape.moe/dbvmmr.txt

That looks like shit

Attached: harold_big_eyes.jpg (800x807, 340K)

>he uses glorified ed
Why not just use ed?

>they aren't nazis
Good. As in, extremely good, and definitely not what I had expected. Might finally bother to set up IRC.

>everyone who thinks trans people are mentally ill and delusional is a nazi
It's time you either a) took your meds or b) kys.

What is the browser?

>>everyone who thinks trans people are mentally ill and delusional is a nazi
No, but the chances are exponentially increased.
And if they aren't a nazi, they likely are in a place where they just need a little slippery slope to go down that path.

dude you must feel, right now, like you masturbated ove your dogs face
I know what tou mean dooooooood I smell cum

Good job, you installed an OS that's easier to install than Linux and opened a browser. Do you want a trophy?

>an OS that's easier to install than Linux
Yet, it's better.

at this moment I am euphoric

Sure it is, but I highly doubt OP has any clue why it's better.

could you enlighten us as to why it's better
?

9front supports USB 3.0 iirc

I really like it. I have a modified version of Sam that I use for everything. plan9port + i3 + devuan is a great combo. Productive as fuck.

You better start thinking about Plan 9

blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2019/02/15/whats-new-for-wsl-in-windows-10-version-1903/

I hadn't for a moment thought I'd read the words "Plan 9" on microsoft dot com in this timeline

You must use it to understand why Plan 9 (9front today) is a better os even today.
Few simple, well thought, basic ideas implemented in the kernel that consequently make it an os that should be studied instead of Linux.

From a technical perspective:
> private namespaces, everything(almost) is a file, 9p, and what derives from them.

Also:
rio is good, mouse chording is awesome, sam/acme and structural regular expression are based

useful links:
9p.io/sys/doc/
9p.cat-v.org/
9front.org/

for newbies
> Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs
lsub.org/who/nemo/9.intro.pdf

The remote processing was good in theory but poorly implemented

bump

Good lord, that font rendering. Yuck.

I guess they think anti-aliasing is a newfangled meme.

Please

Attached: Screenshot_20190223-003951.jpg (1080x2280, 431K)

KILL

Attached: IMG_20190223_004113.jpg (629x730, 97K)

YOURSELF NOW

Attached: IMG_20190223_004318.jpg (117x136, 6K)

they're bitmapped fonts, user

I wish I was mentally ill enuf for plan 9

Erlang on Xen also uses 9p for filesystem access. Maybe it's really that good for local use.

from an end user perspective, what makes it better, and how is the support for extending rio?

What's the problem?

>still doesn't have thumbnails in file picker
Yeah, it is pretty much abandonware

Why I laugh so hard at this

Dropped.

>that consequently make it an os that should be studied instead of Linux.
Lmao, no.
Lisp machines should be studied. Multics should be studied.
Plan 9 is yet more C/Bell Labs garbage in disguise, except with less hardware and software support than Gahnoo/Linux and even OpenBSD. The only reason to use it is if you're both a contrarian and ignorant about computer science history.

>implying you can't hide the fact that you are a pass user
Kill all poorfag captcha user

Attached: Bill Goldberg - biography with personal life, married and ___.png (894x575, 298K)

> complain about hw support
> lisp machine instead!!!
wow

I posted from 9front a month ago without a pass and it's possible. it wasn't painless tho

Lispfags never delivers

Nice one

Attached: Screenshot_2019-02-23-18-15-08.jpg (559x426, 30K)

Please fix your reading comprehension.
I said they should be studied. For practical purposes, there is zero reason to use Plan9 over Linux or BSD.

What is there to "deliver"?

> For practical purposes, there is zero reason to use Plan9 over Linux or BSD.
Depends on what you mean by practical. I did use 9front for a couple of months as a daily driver and I found it easier on some aspect respect to Linux and BSD.

Lisp machine were an elaborated joke what can you learn from them?

>What is there to "deliver"?
usable operating system that reflects use requirements and doesn't shit itself on smallest loads

>Lisp machine were an elaborated joke what can you learn from them?
You have to look at Emacs for a glimpse of what could have been possible. Instead of the retarded abomination pipes are, reuse the code directly (a notable example is recursion when using some commands with -r, a functionality that is actually shared by a fuckton of tools), with an operating system that actually integrates all this functionality, instead of wanking about "muh Unix philosophy" and artificially splitting everything into small programs.

They aren't "practical" for today's standards simply because there hasn't been further development and research, due to the popularity of Unix, but the core idea was, and still is, superior. It would be a much better foundation to build upon.

I already said why Lisp machines aren't usable today, but in case you were wondering, a working, usable OS entirely written in Common Lisp exists: github.com/froggey/Mezzano

>You have to look at Emacs for a glimpse of what could have been possible
Thank god they disappeared then

>Instead of the retarded abomination pipes are, reuse the code directly
It seems like you don't know shit but feel free to make some real arguments on why pipes are bad

>It seems like you don't know shit but feel free to make some real arguments on why pipes are bad
I already told you why. Pipes imply loading multiple executables in memory (not negligible for small programs), and opening a pipe in memory for the transfer (further waste of resources).
Splitting functionality into small programs and concatenating this way is nothing but a workaround for a functionally deficient language on the operating system in the first place. That's the why actual scripting on *nix systems is not done in C, but rather in bash/whatever shell you use, which consists in concatenating these small programs in suboptimal ways.
If you can't see all this shit is nothing but a workaround for the lack of a good language on the OS, you're irremediably under Stockholm syndrome and can't not only conceive that better IS possible, but also that better could have been possible were it not for C and Unix.

>froggey
>frog
>gay
>lisp
Why am I not surprised that gay frog posters program in lisp

> I already told you why.
No, you didn't. You just make vague statements without any number or example.

> Pipes imply loading multiple executables in memory (not negligible for small programs), and opening a pipe in memory for the transfer (further waste of resources).
Programs are small in fact. Explain why recursion and garbage collector are better in terms of memory then.

> If you can't see all this shit is nothing but a workaround for the lack of a good language on the OS[...]

If I don't see it maybe it's because it's not what it is.
Nice arguments btw

>>No, you didn't. You just make vague statements without any number or example.
Sorry about your double digit IQ then, I don't see how they could be clearer.
>Programs are small in fact. Explain why recursion and garbage collector are better in terms of memory then.
You are making the decades-old mistake of confusing programming languages with their implementation.
All this stuff becomes a non-issue on dedicated hardware.
The thing about programs being "small" is not even the main issue. They could be a single line each for all I care. The problem is that they are separate entities, not integrated with the language you're using to control your OS. This leads to said workarounds, such as needing an entirely separate scripting language.

relax, user.
It's just a hindi solar symbol, meaning, they don't like the sun.

> namecalling
As I thought.
>All this stuff becomes a non-issue on dedicated hardware
Yes. Lisp machine were famous for their speed.

You obviously never used a Lisp machine AND know nothing about plan 9.
At least I used one of them unlike you

cancer

Shit user, are you a nazi?

Click the anti-nazi symbol for extra fun.

>Yes. Lisp machine were famous for their speed.
No one said anything about speed, you're moving the goalposts.
The stuff you mentioned would not be (and it actually wasn't) a problem in terms of memory and runtime on dedicated hardware, as I said. C ran faster at the time because it was designed to closely resemble a far less complex machine, a PDP-11, which is nothing like what we have today, yet people still like to pretend it somehow resembles such architecture.

>complains about namecalling
>"hurr durr u obviously don't know shit while i do"
How do I know you're out of arguments?

>use obscure os
>trannies STILL flocking to it and ruining shit
Zero reason to use it then.

>No one said anything about speed, you're moving the goalposts
What is your original goalpost?
Code reuse? Ipc mechanisms?
> yet people still like to pretend it somehow resembles such architecture
I don't know what are you talking about. C run fast and lisp is still slow as shit even today.

enjoy your server getting pwned by single remote (or undesired local) code execution because you got rid of processes, virtual memory, privileges, capabilities, all restrictions imposed on real world dynamic loading
now all programs that communicate with other need to implement some object model

communication boundaries are important and byte streams are universal primitive for a reason
even actual object oriented OSs have message passing and not an actual object-passing

>What is your original goalpost?
>Code reuse? Ipc mechanisms?
I replied specifically to that point when speed was brought up, when my answer about having dedicated hardware was about the memory drawbacks about recursion and gc.
But ultimately, the main point is that Plan9 is nothing groundbreaking over *nix systems, despite what its fanboys believe. If you want something truly different, and in many ways better with respect to OS architecture approaches, ironically you have to look to the past.

>I don't know what are you talking about. C run fast and lisp is still slow as shit even today.
Common Lisp is actually pretty fast when compiled, its performance is remarkable for such a dynamic language needing a highly capable runtime.
C is fast because current architectures are designed to run it fast (bear in mind, this doesn't mean they even remotely resemble a PDP-11) and doesn't need a sophisticated runtime.
"Running fast", therefore, is not an intrinsic property of a language, rather, what really counts is the implementation and how compatible the platform is.

This entire post is so full of non-sequiturs I don't even know where to start.

>But ultimately, the main point is that Plan9 is nothing groundbreaking

It isn't? How can you tell if your only complain is piping ? What is your opinion on private namespaces and 9p? What about filesystem as unified resources representation (network agnostic too)?

What are the groundbreaking news on lisp machine? Dedicated hw that can run lisp with less shit performances?

Hello Jow Forums!
You may want to lock yourself in your bathroom, so you don't have to use anything that the "trannies" "flock to".

>What are the groundbreaking news on lisp machine? Dedicated hw that can run lisp with less shit performances?
Unix shells suck. The shells of the various Lisp Machines were quite different. The Symbolics shell, later called "Dynamic Lisp Listener" allowed management of commands, completions, defaults, interactive help, etc..
See for example: hooktube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk
The interactiveness of that Lisp Machine OS is quite a step up from what any typical shell offers. The problems of that (GUI) approach: it wasn't very sophisticated on the text terminal side; actually, it was quite bad. For development one needed an extended Common Lisp (or Zetalisp), which was a bit too complex for many users.
Really, It's not even hate. Most Unix shells are just dumb. Many people like to use primitive text based UIs with lots of corner cases, which makes them seem intelligent for remembering obscure commands and obscure options without real UI help.

Take cp. The shell does not know the various options the command takes. The shell does not know what the types and the syntax of the options is. The shell does not know which options can be combined and which not. It can't prompt for shell options. It can't check the command syntax before calling it. It can't provide any help when the syntax is wrong. It can't deal with errors during command execution. There is no in-context help. It can't reuse prior commands other that just editing them on a textual base. The output of the command is just text and not structured data. There are an endless amount of problems. There *have* been attempts to address this by putting different user interfaces on top - for example, IBM provided an extensive menu based administration tool for AIX. But no tool is perfect and pragmatically I've found shells to be far more productive than anything I've ever attempted to replace it with (on a modern OS, that is). Which is the real crux of why we use these tools. That's why there's a million different shells. You can even use Lisp-based shells like scsh and esh or Emacs. But for most part all these attempts still suffer from and don't escape the general problems.

>2020-1
>not using PowerShell

Nah, I just have to wait 4-5 years, after which nearly all trannies will have killed themselves.