Why are army uniforms so ugly nowadays?

why are army uniforms so ugly nowadays?

Attached: Richards-McChrystal.jpg (800x500, 461K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
youtu.be/RRpRX6_m5VY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Endless growth of bureaucracy bullshit which results in no-name shitkickers in the rear with the gear having an enormous amount of influence. You just end up having these huge departments instead of a few choice thought leaders making the hard choices.
Look at the fucking F35 for the gold standard example of this cancerous growth, the Bradley is the forerunner to that.

The acquisitions department in the Pentagon, the guys who decide what gear gets used and selected. Are probably some of the most underrated, powerful people on earth.

Attached: 1537540428009.jpg (1280x1851, 617K)

What the hell are they supposed to look like

Attached: illust_15037567_20181123_192735.jpg (2481x2991, 3.47M)

Eh Scorpion Pat ain't bad

Attached: 635687703775041782-060115camouflage.jpg (3200x1680, 341K)

because they were designed by retards

this is the only uniform you should need

Attached: sfghsfghfgh.jpg (448x591, 120K)

camouflage is not supposed to look cute, it's supposed to look nothing.
And modern version seems to make it better.

As they get dirty and worn-in the camouflage really starts to work. The combat fatigues aren't supposed to be pretty.

Attached: 986234876273423.jpg (1000x776, 426K)

>they work better when they're dirty

Not directing this at you, as you're just saying how it works. But whoever thought up that is a brainlet because as it gets dirty it also starts to stink and get unhygienic and needs washing.
There is still a buildup of that camo effect anyway but multicam pisses all over it anyway.

Practicality > aesthetics
Shit may be an eyesore and baggy as hell but if it obscures the silhouette and has enough pockets to help hold your shit than who care the point of camouflage is to NOT be seen afterall.
Exept ACUs because that shit is ugly and doesn't blend in the slightest. Whoever designed those things need to be shot

Op needs to wear his ideal camo and post online for us.

Why shouldn't they look cool, and practical while on base?

All these people responding to you and their autistic camo responses. Wear camo in the field, wear real uniforms on bases and in public. Of course they'd have to redesign dress uniforms to be slightly more practical but not ugly

There's a difference between not washing your unform and smelling like a barn vs rolling in mud so the camo is permanently engraved with the local fauna color palette.
Once you roll in mud, that shit is never coming out completely. Yet, you can wash it just fine and the newly enhanced color stays.

They aren't meant to be some gay aesthetic bullshit

Attached: main-qimg-241a9d8c3b5e97c0bb65b530649a8131-c.jpg (602x897, 152K)

>why are army uniforms so ugly nowadays?
Because the camouflage in your attached is outdated and has been replaced since 2014

I have to admit hubo boss made the best modern day military wear. I still like the stuff from kieser times

Thats the SS not the military
You think the German military fought in all black dress uniform at all times?

They are designed to look like dirt, some rocks, maybe some underbrush. War is not a fashion contest.

Do you wear your nicest clothes inside at home?
Or even worse standing in your front lawn when its raining

they arent exactly aesthetic, but they dont look bad imo, still want us to go back to the 50's 60's style but eh whatever

Dress uniforms aren't combat uniforms

Waffen ss had black coats for parade. Just like when I was in the US army we had dress blues for parade and ceremony. The Wehrmacht had beautiful green garbs. The SS regulars had grey with tan undershirts for parade. But the battle tunics of most German soldiers during ww2 was grey. Predominately Wehrmacht and SS. Luftwaffe had light Blue while the marines or navy had dark blue. Or aka wannabe black.

But the Bradley is a very effective piece of equipment.

How was the SS different from the standard German military? Which was bigger and stronger?

Ever go to any parade's or ceremonies that you thought were worth it or memorable?

Kinda isnt the point. Is the general on his way to a war zone to fight along side the men? Look at how patton used to dress.
The army now has this weird thing about making the generals "fit in" with the men something something raise moral.
But thats bullshit and kike creep i think. Uniforms of high ranked officers should be sleek and sexy and ultra masculine that states the power of the nation upon looking at it.

When I was in the army none of my NCOS trusted it, they preferred the striker. Hell on wheels that thing is.

>i share a board with these brainlets
The SS was a paramilitary police department - an armed organ of the party. The Wehrmacht was the army.

The Wehrmacht was far larger, but the SS wielded significant clout nevertheless.

SS was structured for domestic control (guards, political police), military was the fighting power

A few change of command ceremonies for sergeant majors and once a colonel. Holy shit the amount of pins and medals a sergeant major acquires of the course of 20 years is incredible.

I liked going to them because it was a time to shine, but Tbh it was stuffy and hot at times. Plus standing about as still as a lamp post got old.

For it's intended role, no, it isn't and the US army has already had the big song and dance recognizing this.
Just because it's good at blowing shit up at times (you're about to say it killed more Iraqi tanks than Abrams tanks) it strayed far too far from it's mission parameters.
It couldn't even carry an entire squad and all their gear.

Because our soldiers are fighting in shit holes.

Those pants look pretty ridiculous though
The rest is aesthetic

German combat uniforms in BOTH world wars were on the flashy side. This is Belgium 1940. Note the shiny buttons and helmets.

Attached: WW2-German-troops-in-Belgium-1940.jpg (800x614, 134K)

>For it's intended role, no, it isn't
What is the Bradley's intended role, then?

There is a time and place for dress uniforms but day to day you do not want to be in your service dress. Its uncomfortable and the cost of dry cleaning will build up very quickly. Not to mention its only appropriate for people who work in offices as no grease monkey would be caught dead working in those.
Most "field" uniforms have the unique advantage of being capable of serving desk jockeys, maintainers, medical, and combat personnel in some capacity. And if there is one thing the military likes its uniformity. Hence the name: uniform

The Striker is a piece of flaming garbage with absolutely no role on the battlefield. If you can't go offroad, just leave in the MP.

nice chuckle user, but next time try to be less of a faggot

SS was the political military arm of the Third Reich
Wermacht was just the regular army
Wermacht was bigger and stronger, but the SS was literally designed to pure the Reich's enemies and so could cause a lot of problems for wermacht soldiers deemed worthy of elimination

The green fatigues or grey battle dresses were fucking beautiful. Plus ruggedness. Had more pockets then the American uniform.

I knew like only 2 striker mechanics and they spoke hot shit about how the thing was SUPERIOR to the Bradley. Even has amphibious mounts and antiaircraft or tank purposes.

I had one NCO, no bullshit that said your exact sentiments about the Striker and called it a turd on rubber wheels. He was a Bradley mechanic go figure. I've got no opinion on either other then everyone seems to prop up the striker.

It started out as a troop transport to replace the M113 and mutated into an absolute monstrosity.

Despite being from a comedy film, this is a surprisingly accurate portrayal of how things went down.
youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

They were able to make an entire movie from how much the guy auditing it got fucked around.

I’m not sure that the British ones are ugly or have changed much.
I wear tactical black at work now which is fucking ace. I missed having a uniform.

Thats a Smock, the americans adapted them after the war and have done the best one could with it
Can OP tell me, why hes complaining about a practical uniform being practical and not "flashy" or some shit like that ?

Wasnt that shit literally designed by a high end fashion designer...hugo boss?. Which would be equivalent of having ralph lauren or j crew design our military gear

Because dressing up as a high ranking officer won't put a huge fucking target on your back like killing you would be a huge loss for moral and cripple your command structure.
Save the dressing up for the victory parade. Style doesn't win wars it only kills stupid men

No it keeps them humble
You can gauge a lot of modern militaries based on how many idiotic medals their leadership gives themselves
And if a modern general wears all of that visiting a base, he just turned a visit to a base into marking a giant target

ITT bored ZOG DoD Jow Forums monitors have idle chitchat with each other

You're just down the hall from each other. You can just talk in the break room.

Boss wasnt a High end Fashion designer before WW2, but he got rich, just think about the Money you make when you gotta Dress 15 Million Soldiers

Attached: disgust.png (186x338, 43K)

The current camouflage is great when hiding in gravel and nothing else. It's a horrible failure

Less like a sack of shit?

Wrong, this picture is a smock.

youtu.be/RRpRX6_m5VY this is a tunic. A smock is a over cover to a tunic. A tunic is a battle dress worn with typically a under shrit. Literally Google "German ww2 battle tunic" a Wehrmacht soldier comes up just like them guys in that 1940 pic

Attached: marsh-smock-main.jpg (1400x1240, 488K)

This.
Also think about how often you use your Parade uniform in your Military life
Having that shit waste space for 10+ years is complete Bullshit
Parade uniform should be Battle uniform, thats practical and spares resources

>It started out as a troop transport to replace the M113
Yeah, and that got dropped because it was a dumb idea.

The role of the Bradley is to support an infantry screen accompanying tanks. Tanks are vulnerable without infantry, and yet infantry can't keep up with tanks. You need to put infantry in a vehicle that will accompany the tanks. An M113 type vehicle is not suitable for this. It is too lightly armoured. Even the Bradley itself is too lightly armoured - it's decently protected against man-portable systems, but vulnerable to enemy tanks. The US Army wants an IFV based on the M1 chassis, but these would be twice as expensive as a Bradley and weigh 80 tons. Seeing as the USSR is gone now the threat of hordes of T72s pouring across the German border is diminished, so there's no great impetus to spend the money to tank-proof an IFV fleet when they're not fighitng tanks. So the Bradley is what they have.

Pentagon Wars is a meme movie which does not reflect actual combat experience of the Bradley. Put an M113 or similar type vehicle into the role that the Bradley serves and watch as those tin-plate pieces of shit get blown sky fucking high. The Bradley isn't perfect - it needs to be bigger and more heavily armoured - but it was the right decision in the end.

Because war is ugly, homo.

So did the medals and pins raise the respect you had for officers, or was it just something interesting to see?

modern DCU's is very practical and comfortable usually designed to have a shit ton of gear attached and worn over/under like armor, the trade off is it looks like absolute shite when you dont have your webbing/vest on

old gear looks sharp as fuck but very impractical and tedious to maintain.

i will say though the new multicam and Auscam DCU's will make you god damn invisible there purty good!

Attached: 2015-01-30-15-10-19-636308597.jpg (223x226, 7K)

Again, a tunic. My former response shows a smock.

Btw we got smocks in the US army we called them goretex. They kept out rain and cold. Mine was defective as fuck and rain go through it. Btw, y'alls tax dollars hard at work right there includin' mone.

Attached: heer-officer-captains-tunic-1.jpg (600x600, 65K)

To me I respected men more then their medals or pins. Tbh it raises eyebrows when you see full dress Blues. Or class B dress uniforms with stacked medals. But it's the man that makes the uniform. Cliché as fuck ik.

The argument you are having, is already over. I'm relaying to you what was decided and you are relaying to me your opinions as if we're going to decide at the end.
The Bradley is being replaced and moved on, they're already moving towards MRAPs, MMPVs, RG33s and shit like that which are closer to the original goal in the first place, decades later.

Oh god, then define what a smock is
The jackets are Grey, because Feldgrau (Grey) was the Standard for soldiers before they invented Flecktarn
And a Field tunic is something completely different, a smock is for Fighting Units, more pouches, warmer material, and the Pockets are made to fit magazines
Field Tunic is made for Support Units, Their pockets fit for Standard German Tools and Mat-Sets, Looks the same, because both are JACKETS MADE FOR THE FIELD

Think back to the Napoleononic days. When men dressed in flashy colors and their medals. They marched and paraded in their same battle dresses. Impracticality was everywhere back then.

this is the most Amerimutt picture in existence

Attached: 1542815214007.jpg (1440x929, 812K)

If cliches had no value or truth to them then they couldn't exist
Thanks I just wondered how the medals and shit were just generally perceived

I'd rather wear some ugly getup than glow in the dark in an age where even the most common schmuck can kill you from a distance.

pic Shows a Parade uniform, you wont see a german with those on the field
I know because i own one

>The Bradley is being replaced and moved on, they're already moving towards MRAPs, MMPVs, RG33s and shit like that which are closer to the original goal in the first place, decades later.
MRAPs and RG-33s are a Humvee replacement, not a Bradley replacement. They are too light to accompany a tank advance.

>I'm relaying to you what was decided
You are relaying to me your misunderstanding of what was decided.

>The Bradley is being replaced and moved on
Actually it's being refit to stay in service for another decade because the US Army can't afford and IFV based on an M1 chassis at the moment and there is nothing else that can do its job.

Nice.

>Note the shiny buttons and helmets.
the shine is from the metal material and inferior to modern plastics

Yeah because you needed everyone to know instantly who you were and on which side
Also guns, cannons, and other weapons were not so accurate that flashy bullshit could endanger literally everyone

I'm glad you didn't know the difference between a smock and a battle tunic buddy. Maybe you should do a little more readin' before making yourself look like a fool brother.

In this photo, you see a smock, over a battle tunic. Which is a typical dress ware. Feldgrau was the typical Germanic dress greys. Prior to camo becoming a thing through the SS. Stop bringing up off topic subjects. It's fine that you mixed up your uniformity a bit. But I ain't going to argue with some guy who probably never even went into uniformed services.

Attached: cfd6e572d3f59998cf7d9ee64bcee0f7.jpg (1936x2592, 739K)

hugo boss was a uniform designer...

I think you're devising arguments in your mind that haven't occurred.
The point is that the Bradley moved away from it's intended purpose as a troop transport. You interpreted this as a remark saying it's shit overall. It is not as effective as a troop transport simply owing to it's smaller capacity. There is something to be said for more focused projects over broad spectrum all-solutions.

Fairly simple concept.

They wore the exact tunics actually. They deboned their medals and even removed shoulder tabs. The Wehrmact had several sets of dress tunics. Usually one for parading. Also surprised you own one with the Eurabian laws over there.

We don't send them into war because they are ideal breeding stock

>Maybe you should do a little more readin
i dont have to, because im MAT officer for some time now.

You literally are a LARP if you arent baiting right now, or youre completely clueless.and believe some Wikipedia article

Agreed.

Officers need an update.

Attached: Agreed.jpg (1280x1707, 319K)

I've always had a fascination with medals, even before I joined the Army. I got out as a Captain, and the highest medal I received was an Army Commendation Medal (Never commanded), but I was always astounded by how many medals some of the colonels had.

Though as someone who really enjoys studying medals and orders (phaleristics), I think the US military has way too many, and we should condense a lot of awards. There are several medals just for generals, or extremely high speed colonels, neither demographic attainable by most soldiers.

Nice VPN bro. But yeah most officers wore their battle fatigues into combat. The fact most didn't apply medals to their uniforms in the field is also true, but some would put pins on or small things. Manstein and Rommel always wore their iron crosses regardless of situation.

Attached: 2-weltkrieg-frankreich-cherbourg-deutsche-haftlinge-1944-deutsche-offiziere-genommen-gefangen-von-de (1300x1050, 175K)

At the cost of $14 billion to develop over 17 years?
More like a shining example of malfeasance and incompetence.

I honest to God doubt that. Go larp some more kiddo. You're a Zionist shill. One thing that sure as hell made me glad to get out of the service was Zionists like you. Get the out of here before you make a mess out of yourself.

ACU as in the left photo are being phased out, it's all multicam now.

Also, the Army dress uniform is moving back to the WWII Style "Pinks and Greens"

The uniform in pic related will be the standard dress and office uniform, with multicam being used for the field.

Attached: pinkandgreen.jpg (1000x667, 96K)

>why are army uniforms so ugly nowadays?

Attached: 1539359933778.jpg (394x604, 45K)

Also:

>Tfw combat mage isn't a military specialization.

Feels bad man...

Why live?

Attached: Camo Wizard Hat.jpg (960x1200, 87K)

The US military might have a lot sir but my arguement to that is always the same. We aren't the Soviet union at least. Them fools had more medals then any nation to date. As for current medal awards. Shit I was never near shiny. Had what I earned. I'm glad to see some O-3s on here got based facist flags. I think a lot of our medals or ribbons are barely worn enough. Isn't only the old guard that wears their medals still? Even in tunic or am I completely mistaken?

no dude, Thats not really true.
As german soldier you get 3 uniforms when in Support unit
1 Parade, 2 4x "Waffenrock" or Feldbluse which is the Uniform for Standard days, 3 2xa Feldjacke, or you could call it a Field tunic

When you are in Fighting Units like Panzergrenadier, or Gebirgsjäger, you will get an Additional Smock instead of Just a Fieldtunic

You see the difference once you put the Thing on yourself (other materials, warmer etc.)

Soll-Org hasnt changed from Wehrmacht to Bundeswehr, we still get the same Sets (off course the Uniforms have changed over time)

That's a cute girl.

>Staff Units and Generals going into Battle
Ok now i know that youre just a larping moron

Now just saying shit everyone knows to defend your points. Eurabian leave.

I also said they had more then one set of tunics. Oh boy. Are you a few shades darker then white?

The pants are shaped that way to allow the wearer to mount and ride in a saddle.

Post some uniforms please

Breeches are peak aesthetic.
Nothing an American would know about.

>flame retardant frog top
>DASH and uparmored 7-ton in the rear
This is a reservist. We let them die first.

yeah, sorry, im leaving you Wehraboos alone now to larp a Little bit more

>>why are army uniforms so ugly nowadays?

Attached: 1539360092979.jpg (1023x932, 111K)

Besides honor guards, the only time I am aware of wearing medals is on a dress mess, and those are miniature and usually gold plated, which I don't prefer at all.

We are definitely far away from the USSR in their medals, or even the North Koreans.

But I think all Achievement, Commendation, and Meritorious medals should be condensed away from individual branches into just one award, a la the Bronze Star.

Same with anything that's Defense or Joint, based entirely on your assignments you could earn 2-3 different achievement medals, theoretically 5 or 6, and that's two whole rows of basic level medals.

If I'm not mistaken there is a State, Joint, and regular Meritorious Service Medal. I don't see why three versions exist. Should be just an MSM.

>This is a reservist. We let them die first.

Attached: 1539360828442.jpg (1200x628, 142K)

Rommel often did go into battle brother. Not to far from the front. He was better then Patton and wasn't afraid to be close. Even found himself behind lines. Which was awfully dangerous. Also unsure why you're bringing these subjects up which are rather unrelated to what I was on about.

digital camo.

it works better.