What the hell, Jow Forums lied to me

What the hell, Jow Forums lied to me
>Installs Arch
>Keeps system updated
>Everything is smooth and doesn't break anything while having up to day software
This is top comfy

Attached: arch.jpg (474x266, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>trusting the internet

>Breaks unexpectedly 6 months later.

How?

It usually breaks when upstream changes config files, and you update package but dont update config files or something.
If you maintain it properly, there shouldnt be any problems

Another arch NPC. Of course.

and what distro doth thoust be shilling today?

>It usually breaks when upstream changes config files, and you update package but dont update config files or something.
literally doesn't happen

I doubt that happens. Maybe with AUR or something but not with official packages. Why in the hell wouldn't the config update alongside its program?

Its up to you to actually update your configs, pacman will not overwrite it and only creates .pacnew files for you

Seems a bit impractical then even if not hard to solve. Does Void suffer from this problem too?

Most of the people shittalking Arch probably never even ran it, or they tried to install it and failed. I’ve honestly had less issues with Arch than I did with Ubuntu. Also issues in Arch usually get fixed in a few days, meanwhile an issue in Ubuntu usually leads to a several months old bug report with no solution.

Yes. Even among Debian- or RPM-based distributions there's no automagical solution to adopt changed configuration files to a new format, you only get to keep your current or the new version or an assisted three-way merge at best.
Chances are that you're not installing new major release of software with those which have significantly changed configuration files, enough.

Interesting, is it easy to fix that "issue"?

Fedora Silverblue, NixOS and Guixsd

Its literally editing a text file.
You either switch to the new config files and configure it to your needs again, or use some mergetool like vimdiff or meld to pull the changes from upstream.
It depends on your preference really.

I see, thanks for the help user

>Installs Arch
Based.

Attached: arch.png (1298x839, 92K)

Arch has no policy against distributing nonfree software through their normal channels, and nonfree blobs are shipped with their kernel, Linux.

Instead of this nonfree distribution, use Parabola or Hyperbola, free distros which are made from it.

Richard, I...

nobody cares about using exclusively free software anymore.

I want to furiously violate Arch-tan's boyhole.

Package manager creates .pacnew (config) files and notifies you about it.
I switched to Gentoo but every week or so but I had a global update script back on Arch. The script als included a simple:
# find / -name "*.pacnew"

The pacdiff script from pacman-contrib will also do the job with the -o parameter. It's generally only required to scan the /etc and /usr directories for *.pacnew and *.pacsave files.
You can also use tools like Gentoo's etc-update to automate things somewhat.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave

Are distros with 100% pure free software even usable for anything worthwhile?

FUCK off rms not everybody has a thinkpad you fat fuck, libre drivers for everything aren't a thing, fatlord.

If you dont have a thinkpad, thats your fault.

Debian of course

The only distro(and its babies) capable of stability

Arch breaks often, I should know the best as I've been using it for 3 years now as the only OS. So far it broke 3 times. The tricks is to know how to install shit and not break your dependencies, once I figured out how to keep my repos clean and how to properely uninstall them it's been stable ever since. But for a beginner who expects everything to work out of the box it's going to be a pain in the ass

Usually goes like this
>You install some random useless software from AUR
>it doesn't work
>you uninstall it
>it breaks pacman
>you try to fix it by -Syuu
>Arch crashes

As long as you install reputable software, uninstall it properly and keep your repos clean and minimal - you'll have no problems

nope, hardware and media support is nonexistent because you're a pleb for using nonfree hardware

Oh yes, forgot to mention - going with some other Arch distribution will not fix the problem - Manjaro is for example just as unstable as Arch

Gentoo's dispatch-conf

>updating regularly

retard newfa/g/s never understand this. 99% of you have no need to update. and even if you do, you do it until your system is stable
running pacman -syu everyday will NOT make your ram ram faster

>Arch breaks often
>using it for 3 years now as the only OS. So far it broke 3 times
that not often, windows unironically breaks a lot more.
ubuntu also breaks every upgrade.

Debian/Devuan never broke in my experience but I also takes the necessary steps before upgrading to a new release.

Manjaro is a fuckload less stable than vanilla Arch.

oh, I was about to ask something like this since I wanted to try a rolling realease. Fedora and debian notify you when there's a change so you can do something about it. So I wouldn't want some shit breaking and not knowing about it until reading changelogs

>t. stallman

Nobody should use Manjaro. It's the true definition of a meme distro.

The "arch breaks" meme was created by reddit-tier brainlets who can't install arch. Congratulations, you saw through it, enjoy one of the best GNU/Linux OSes

Attached: 1540761780002.png (688x1430, 156K)

how are new config files managed?
And do they distribute a lts kernel?

>do they distribute a lts kernel
yep, it's what I use

oh also, when you install a package it has the upstream default config files? I've heard debian brainlets saying they hate arch because they have to tweak the configs, but everytime I installed something from upstream as a tarball I remember it having sane defaults.
That's just a meme right?
I can't see arch renaming the default configs files so they don't take effect by default.
And I suppose services are not activated by default.
That's one of the reasons I think kali is unironically better than plain debian, enabling services by default is retarded

This only happens of you use AUR versions of core packages. Installing mpv-git won't break your install, but using infinality may break your shit.

dunno bout the upstream stuff, I don't bother with tarballs. nearly anything you want is up to date either in the stock repo or in the aur. services for newly installed things have to either be started manually or edit your systemd config to autostart them at boot

I'm just asking if it has sane defaults.
Usually there is examples in /usr/share and a default config in /etc so it works out of the box.
If arch removes this from upstream it is retarded

no it's got the sane defaults. and upstream doesn't really exist in arch

In the five years I used Arch, I have gotten a broken system twice after upgrading packages. Only one I was able to fix.

you don't know what upstream means but ok

Why do you use rolling release if you don't update it regularly? Just use LTS Ubuntu or something.

You should update Arch at least everytime you install new software. Otherwise you will do partial update and potentially fuck up your system. Arch is not supposed to be updated like that.

this

upstream means current with the software devs release, what idiotic thing do you think it means
there is no next version of arch

Elaborate

so what were you implying with there's no upstream in arch?
learn to read properly

>arch based
>litterally says it's not compatible with arch

yeah, there's not

cringe, manjaro is for zoomer retards

Not him, but Manjaro gives you all the power and control over your system without proper preparation. Arch is supposed to be a distro that you can customize to perfectly fit your needs, yet they ship it preconfigured. You miss a chance to learn how does your system work, yet you are supposed to maintain it.

It tries to be like Arch, while ignoring the Arch way, completely missing the point.

you learn nothing by installing xorg though, zoomer

You learn that you need it for graphical interface.
When graphical interface breaks, you'll know where to look for errors and logs.

no you don't, no one's interested in learning and everyone just copy/pastes shit from the wikki

>look for errors
there should be no errors after installing xorg and running startx
cringe

you can do that in any distro by disabling the display manager and writting a xinitrc. Maintaining your graphical session is not an "ability".
Read a book, the documentation for sysadmin tools, bash, anything but this useless neet garbage.

I haven't used Manjaro but it seems like it enables you to use a rolling release distro and access the AUR while providing you an already working desktop and some added testing according to the devs.

I don't see the problem.

Been using Arch for almost 6 years now and Parabola for about 2, I can attest to the fact that the breakage meme was true in the past for Arch (over 3 years ago) but is no longer the case - usually it's just the user being retarded.
Parabola on the other hand, up until a few months back it was OK on x86(_64) targets but very shit on ARM, though now it is getting somewhat better.

Attached: D4VecShX4AAkMD0.jpg (641x720, 82K)

>python dependency manager
enjoy waiting 42341 years before even compiling starts

mine's working smooth for 2 years now
Jow Forums is just autistic and hates on everything

You can't copy it from wiki, the wiki doesn't spoonfeed you with install commands. If you want graphical environment you need to search that term on wiki, read introduction nto see if this is what you are looking for and then read whole "installation" section and understand it. And that's just to install xorg, without WM, DE, Etc.

>reading comprehension

Of course you can. But then you might just install Arch since it will take less effort and initial knowledge.
Reading a book is a good idea regardless.
After installing, you maintain in the same way as other distros.

I've already explained it in previous post. If you don't see any problem with that, it's fine. You might remind yourself about it when your Manjaro breaks and you have no idea what's responsible for that.

>hurr python
Multiple C reimplementations were created and none were much faster. Gentoo's dependency model is just that complex.

>
I've already explained it in previous post. If you don't see any problem with that, it's fine. You might remind yourself about it when your Manjaro breaks and you have no idea what's responsible for that.

Doesn't that apply to basically every other operating system / distro that's not Arch/Gentoo/Slackware/Void though?

It would be decent if they'd make a dedicated installer, but i guess the installation process is a form of gate keeping.

>how are new config files managed?
if a config file exists, the new one is saved as "filename.pacnew"
protip: install etc-update from the aur, it's a port of the configuration file updater of the same name from gentoo
since i came from gentoo to arch, one of the first things i looked into was if that was available
it's an excellent tool for keeping your config files up to date, very easy step by step diffing (simply, you can quickly review differences, and either pick one or the other, or interactively pick which lines from the old and new to keep, so you can for example, take all the lines from the new default config, while keeping the lines you edited)

i found arch broke less and less as i got the hang of things
now i fuck with things left right and centre and never break anything
i also found that when something broke, it was almost certainly directly my fault, breakages just from regular usage are very rare, and those are always listed on the arch website, so you won't be stuck for long

you should always do a full update when updating or installing anything
partial upgrades are not supported, and can do weird things
thankfully, full updates in arch are always very quick, even updating 100 packages only takes a minute, provided decent internet (which mine isn't, so my large updates are usually 5 minutes of downloading followed by 20 seconds of installing)
either way, this isn't no windows update where you have to set aside a whole evening to get it done

return to reddit fucktard

but
>muh arch way

>always get the latest software
only complaint is I don't have linux 5.1 yet

Correct.
Fuck off tribalist brainlet.

How do you use etc-update with arch? Do you have to run it manually? Is there a way to make it automatically run when pacman makes a .pacnew file?

stay mad self-replying redditor, you'll be able to install it one day

My laptop has arch on it. It wasn't difficult to install, but an installer like Ubuntu is easier. It does serve as gatekeeping which points out. I'm not mad, you're just a tribalist gatekeeping retard.

i'm sure it does sweaty

In most distros you don't customize that much and don't have rolling release. You simply install some release, install some additional software and you don't have to worry if the base of your system is internally compatible. Someone else takes care of that. In Arch, it's mostly your responsibility to maintain that.