The life of the office IT guy:

The life of the office IT guy:

>hey user, do you know how to get this software?
>hey user, I can't connect to the internet, can you help me?
>hey user, do you know the wifi password?
>hey user, can you set up my docking station?
>hey user, where is this file located?
>hey user, do you have the credentials for this software?
>hey user, do you know the server gateway address?
>the list goes on into infinity

Has working in IT always been being a glorified help desk for normies? People can't be this helpless...

Attached: redd-28-1024x767.png (980x734, 381K)

>Has working in IT always been being a glorified help desk for normies?
I mean.. yes. go read dave barry in cyberspace from 1996 and see that everything is the same.

A lot of those things sound like things you wouldn't want to just give to users though. They should ask IT to install software, or for credentials (if they're not available).

what you need to realize is that people being like this is precisely what guarantees you a job

Attached: average g user.jpg (633x1000, 168K)

IT job =/= IT job

>People can't be this helpless...
People are paid to do a job, not figure out how shitty technology works.

People not knowing how to do this shit on their own keeps us employed, yo.

every day i thank god that software is so bad because otherwise my position would br irrlevant

People are too stupid to ask questions about the tools they use every single day let alone maintain them. They should use their brain but refuse to do so and get by without it.

When I have my thoughts on something, the last thing I want to do is fix the idiotic software written by mongrels that crashes every day. That's why walking robots like you bare the burden.

>what's the wifi password
don't connect your phone, we monitor it and if the boss asks we have to sort through what you look at
>do you know how to get this software?
I'll install it, boss is terrified of hackers so I can't give out the admin password.
>can you set up my docking station?
>implying I didn't already
>where is this file located?
Your file, your problem, but I'll look around in my free time anyway
>credentials for software
>implying we don't use AD
people are retards and it's your job to babysit them so they don't break everything, welcome to IT

>Has working in IT always been being a glorified help desk for normies? People can't be this helpless...
IT itself is only a tool to grant us more leisuretime. The whole point of anything is the effortlessness of life.

Wageslavery Stockholm syndrome

I'm sure IT would be thrilled if I made a registry edit instead of just asking IT to fix the problem.

> let alone maintain them
Newsflash, YOU are there to maintain them. They were hired to do a different job.

praise be to adobe reader.

I honestly don't get how you can literally invent the pdf format and then provide pretty much the worst pdf reader on the market.

Your job is to know things and help people with them. What did you think you were hired for? If you dislike your job, quit.

The people designing back-end are different from the people designing front-end. If the people in back are orders of magnitude more talented, then you can get a situation like adobe reader.

I assume they just spend all that photoshop money on hookers and blow and in their coked up state they physically abuse the keyboard (while the source code is open in an ide) having mistaken it for aforementioned prostitute and the build server coughs it up for consumption all automated and shit.
Thats also how the previous build of flash player happens every single time.

I honestly don't know how to feel about this. Even windows updates break, I don't expect adobe reader/java/chrome/et all to stay updated without my intervention or expensive levels of automation. At the same time, I don't want to go manually do it. I don't know what the ideal is.

*clears throat*

Attached: iu.png (1200x700, 44K)

If you're not IT, it's not your problem. Just leave most things to the default, and if it doesn't update then whatever. If you're IT then you should absolutely figure out a way to automate it.

There are enterprise solutions to automate software updates through an AD/lan (C4B, Ninite).

OS updates are handled through GPOs (to disable automatic updates and set user permissions) and WSUS (to actually deploy VETTED updates).

You also need to implement a rollback strategy in case shit goes wrongs (and shit will go wrong).

t. enterprise sysadmin (100+ machines)

also almost forgot, for the linux machines you can setup custom repos (depending on the package manager), but most of our linux guys are given freedom to maintain their machine, and don't even access the main AD (fuck setting up kerberos/smb on linux).

Yes, but why dislike this? They have their purpose and place in the business, and so do you. Also, we must remember that all this tech is fairly new and hasn't been around for generations. Just think about how stupid drivers are, right? We've had cars like that for almost 100 years. You are going to have to realize there are some things that people just won't integrate with like it's nothing.
Also, people are that helpless, and it's why people like you and I exist, to help them and get ez pay. Sure beats scrubbing toilets though doesn't it? That's what you'd probably be stuck doing if everyone was as good in IT as we are.

I tried this once and it broke my system. I don't have enough of a test environment to give it a good chance though.

I am new to IT. Yes, I am a firm believer/practitioner of automation.

I've definitely heard of Ninite. I don't know how much longer GPOs are going to be around with InTune and the whole WaaS future. What is your rollback strategy?

Another concern of mine I maybe didn't highlight enough before: how do you give users (reasonable) autonomy in your org?

I'm not the original person you replied to, I'm happy with my work (I basically sit in my office doing fuckall, pretending to work while my systems manage themselves)

I wonder how do some of those people hold an office job for 20+ years and still type with only their index fingers.

omg this so much. My mother does medical research stuff and she hunts-and-pecks for everything. Hundreds of pages of reports and it's all finger-pecked. She envies my ability to touch-type but doesn't want to put in even 15 minutes a day into improving her efficiency. I would have fired her if I were her boss if she didn't agree to taking touch-typing lessons.

and her son is on 4channel. really makes you think.

haaaaaaa good one.

>hey user, can you do your job for a sec?
Keep bitching. Yes most of those things are things that people can generally do for themselves, but they know that someone else is paid to do it, and they have their own job to deal with. My job is 80% MS Excel slave for the sales department. It's super mundane and people who need the info I put together could probably do it themselves given the time, but they're already busy managing salespeople and they know that I'm paid to do it instead. I don't whine about it, because it's specifically what I'm there for. And when this Excel slave has a computer issue that takes more than 20 minutes to figure out, he calls the IT slave, because IT work is not Excel slave's job.

What I don't get is why only IT people seem to not get this. Your job is not a whole lot different from everyone else's in this regard.

you give the users no autonomy.

If they need to install a program they need to get it approved (most of the times it's some retarded app or some people want to use their own cloud accounts to sync shit, which is a big no-no).

We also have a firewall setup so shit like socials and whatnot are disabled

Also WSUS is a kind of different beast from intune (which is a full sccm with GPO-like features). For GPOs I still use GPMC, but we're planning to move from GPO to MDM soon.

As for rollback strategies it depends. We more or less make 'snapshots' of working systems, and rolling back is as easy as applying said snapshot.

Before this we used to use WSUS to rollback bad OS/Office updates (but some of them couldn't be properly rolled back... hence why we went with the snapshot of the system).

For software it's easy, ninite pro has mass deploy solutions.

>you give the users no autonomy.
That seems like a bad idea and will cause resentment b/w departments. Here's a dumb example, because it happened to me recently.

>want to try to query some SNMP info over the network
>"hey do we have something for SNMP?"
>"yes and no, it didn't work"
>"oh, well can I try some different software and experiment around?"
>"sure but make sure you ask us before you install any software"

Fuck this. There are probably a dozen different SNMP programs available. You want me to vet each one? What a waste of time. If I'm trying to _experiment_ , what the fuck is the point of wasting your time? Just give me a god damn airgapped/segregated lab environment or let me build one. This is ridiculous and only costing us more time/money/energy.

The same goes for users. If you are worried about data leaks, you can prevent that with a firewall/anti-malware. You don't need to prevent software installation outright. Don't get me wrong, I don't know what *methods* we could use to solve these problems (barriers such as admin rights/disk space/testing environments) but I dislike the "all users are stupid, therefore we treat them like children" approach.

bu all users are stupid, therefore we treat them like children.

The company I currently work for had BAD data leaks beforehand, so the company culture right now is OK with this approach (and it's really better for everyone).

If you give your user the freedom to install software, one day he might've read about a cool method to connect to websites he can't visit at work (through a shitty monitored vpn) and there you go, now his traffic his monitored by a 3rd party because said fucking retard had to visit facebook and get on with the latest happenings.
No, fuck the user, if the wageslaves want to fuck something up they're free to do so on their cellphone on an external connection (some of them have business phones, but they're pretty much dumbphones with the capability to read messages and send emails, so we don't care). Or they could go in one of the many 'relax areas' we have around with pool tables and PS4s. NO FUCKING AROUND with company's hardware.

That's not what a "IT guy" actually is though.

Don't get me wrong, I see both sides. That's why I mentioned airgapped/network separation. I think there's a way to have a win-win situation. Give users the opportunities to have test environments/labs with fictitious employee/customer/client/contractor data and they can fuck around as much as they want. I think it would be a good idea to let departments be autonomous as possible with their software selections so that IT can't get pinned for business decisions. IT still has a lot of authority as to what runs in production, but the decision process is not wholly directed by IT. It's like consultation but internal to the organization.

Helping people is your job you ungrateful faggot.
You're making way too much money for something way too easy. Seethe more autism boy.

>Be QA
>Make more money
>do less shit
>still make the IT guys do menial task and bring my shit
>have them clean my monitors and bring me by devices
>mfw I am judge jury and executioner

Attached: 4A090109-D9BC-4AC7-B748-6939A3A46A34.png (475x576, 183K)

>QA
imagine being proud of writing tests all day

>writing test
Oh sweet pajeet child

Honestly what is QA like? Worth it for a newbie?

>hey user, do you know how to get this software?
no
>hey user, I can't connect to the internet, can you help me?
no
>hey user, do you know the wifi password?
no
>hey user, can you set up my docking station?
no
>hey user, where is this file located?
no
>hey user, do you have the credentials for this software?
no
>hey user, do you know the server gateway address?
no

>updates adobe reader

Have you bought everything a vendor brought through your door?

>hey user why does visual studio do this when i do that
I DONT FUCKING KNOW ITS WINDOWS BULLFUCKERY THATS IMPOSSIBLE TO SOLVE AND I NEED TO REINSTALL SSDT 3 TIMES AND THEN MAYBE IT WILL WORK FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

How do you think your doctor feels? How do you think your mechanic feels? How do you think your lawyer feels?

You're in on the joke now. Make money off people ez pz.

People seem to get the idea that we wrote the software for some reason. Also what the fuck were they hired for? Shouldn't they already know?

I'm not as mad about the guys who have the problem as the software itself

If people were smart, there would be no reason for IT.

>1 admin password for all machines
>1 shared logon for wifi
Holy fucking yikes

Chocolatey only has like vs code and chrome packaged and theyre 4 years since updated. Its for devs not normies.

That sounds very crude. You should be using SCCM or Intune if your Azure tenant is set up and synced.

t. 25000 device admin

The life of the corporate IT guy
>meet Stacey for smashed avocado at the local Cafe for breakfast after you've clocked on
>head upstairs to use the conference room you've booked to update the sports tipping comp result with Dave in the next city via video link
>grab a coffee from freshly ground Cuban beans from the $15,000 coffee machine
>time to work the floor
>talk shit with the boys
>flirt with the girls
>eventually get to your desk
>log in
>open a web browser
>www. reddit. com

>hey user, can you do your job
>NO FUCK YOU IL MAKE A THREAD ON Jow Forums ABOUT HOW MUCH OF A KEK I AM
perfectly reasonable, not at all autistic

maybe for pajeets

"I was too stupid to get a real programming job, and have to get online with other IT wiggers to pretend I'm not a piece of shit general"

Daily life of a programmer:
>Oh you made the CRM?
>basically a company celebrity
>work remote
>get up at 2 PM
>"oh hey can you be there for the meeting we need you D:"
>can get out of anything because I saved the owner $2M+

"wuuguuuuuu.... its other peoples fault... wuguuuuuu.... im beddur than them.... wuguuuuuu.... it's not me it's everyone else... wuguuuu... if only everyone else died so I wouldn't have to answer normie questions wuguuuuuuuuu"

>hello user how do i open the START BUTTON :DDDDD
>NOOOO IM BEDDUR THAN U NOOOOOO

This mindset is how NPPI ends up in public S3 buckets.