How the fuck do batteries work?

Leo Miller
Leo Miller

I just charged up this 1st gen ipod nano for the first time in about 10 years, judging by the music on it. I charged it for a an hour or two and as soon as i unplugged it it split open like this. Why do batteries blow up like balloons over time? and why did it take me charging it again to trigger it? I had an old phone that blew up like this but it was sitting in a drawer like the ipod for years

Attached: pop.jpg (160 KB, 817x1452)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bqcX1AjdxSw

Connor Powell
Connor Powell

iShit
Found your problem.

Caleb Lewis
Caleb Lewis

interesting circumstances, may unironically consider subscribing to your blog

Angel Clark
Angel Clark

it still works fine. is this thing about to explode on me? i'm just confused how charging it caused it to swell up like that. it sat in my room for a decade and then the first time i touched it it swelled up like that

Attached: bucket.jpg (119 KB, 780x1387)

Joseph Hill
Joseph Hill

Electrolyte oxidation due being improperly stored. Your battery was simply faulty before you tried to charge, it just "expanded" due the sudden chemical reactions.

Kayden Lopez
Kayden Lopez

lith ion batteries get damaged if they are left empty for long periods of time. most likely yours was damaged due to not being charged in 10 years. you could replace it or poke a hole and vent the gas

Colton Reyes
Colton Reyes

And yes, it can blow up if you are unluckely enough. It'll also last way less and have sudden voltage drops. Just get another one.

Oliver Wood
Oliver Wood

A battery has insulators separating the conductive materials inside. Over time the insulators break down and the conductive materials just connect together and short out. If you try to charge a battery that is shorted out like this it will not charge. If you continue to charge it anyway it will heat up which causes the liquid stuff inside to turn into vapor which causes the battery to expand. If you continue to charge it anyway it will eventually explode and could catch on fire.

David Brooks
David Brooks

Attached: cant-hold-it.jpg (12 KB, 480x640)

Parker Turner
Parker Turner

poke a hole and vent the gas
This OP, no worries, just do this. Everything will be fine.

Attached: 1507558178818.jpg (165 KB, 800x800)

Cameron Williams
Cameron Williams

poke a hole and vent the gas
is that like charging your phone in the microwave or can you really do that

Attached: download.png (201 KB, 577x433)

Luis Hernandez
Luis Hernandez

Humidity got into the battery and the electricity converted it to hydrogen and some oxide. If you are carefull you can vent it and seal it back up. But be carfull, watch some YouTube videos

Jacob Campbell
Jacob Campbell

alright here i go

Attached: F.jpg (279 KB, 817x1452)

John Rivera
John Rivera

All it usually takes is the a very tiny needlepoke just through the outer layer. Then seal back up with some kapton tape or electrical tape should work.

Justin Hall
Justin Hall

OP is dead

Samuel Rivera
Samuel Rivera

Definitely

Liam Myers
Liam Myers

Don't poke a li ion battery youtube.com/watch?v=bqcX1AjdxSw

James Morris
James Morris

have you tried turning him off and on again

Brayden Parker
Brayden Parker

that’s lithium polymer, we don’t use that shit anymore, it’s unsafe. lithium ion batteries are perfectly fine to puncture

Easton Wood
Easton Wood

First gen nanos were recalled nearly a decade ago, specifically for their shitty batteries.
Essentially, degrading chemicals inside vaporise, turning to gas. Thus, the battery expands.
Drop into an apple store, they used to give out nanos till they were discontinued then said "Fuck it"
Maybe they'll swap it for a current touch

Jaxson Lewis
Jaxson Lewis

Why do batteries blow up like balloons over time?
battery puffing happens with age. Because batteries store energy as potential chemical reactions (splitting then combining), there are byproducts to those reactions, in this case gas. Don't breathe it.
Batteries will puff temporarily and to a lesser degree when charged or discharged very quickly, but your battery life will be dramatically reduced.
My recommendation is taking the battery out of the device after charging it again, then putting it on a workbench, pointing a high speed camera at it, and stabbing it

Nolan Thompson
Nolan Thompson

batteries store electrical energy as chemical energy. your battery was old, had some degradation, and instead of holding the juice properly it underwent a chemical reaction producing gas. probably hydrogen.

Christian Sullivan
Christian Sullivan

we don’t use that shit anymore
current laptop batteries are exactly that tho

Luke Ortiz
Luke Ortiz

definitely don't do that unless you want to self-imolate

Jacob Davis
Jacob Davis

I fucking hate these built in batteries on devices. Why dont we have replaceable batteries anymore?

Attached: IMG-20190713-132656.jpg (404 KB, 1600x1200)

Wyatt Hill
Wyatt Hill

Why
Planned obsolescence makes big money for big corporations

Blake Campbell
Blake Campbell

op, post pics of the burns

Brandon Phillips
Brandon Phillips

Apple shipped defective batteries with those 1st gen iPad nanos.
They used to have a repair program for it where you can return it to Apple and they'll give you a brand new current model for free.

The shit has been closed for about 2 years now, too late fgt.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit