Old PC's

What makes using shitty PC's so comfy? There's something oddly gratifying about just scraping along at barely 30 FPS with old games.

Attached: gtx6150se.png (1024x768, 965K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHW-f5ayhs
youtube.com/watch?v=Up1Pgkv5sgg
veg.by/en/projects/nfs4/
veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/
youtube.com/watch?v=Zg7X8e_WwoI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think its the distance between the user and the game environment. Its not as real feeling or immersive as today. That distance of earlier times was almost like watching theatre, as opposed to watching a 3D iMax movie

>That distance of earlier times was almost like watching theatre
I think this is it. Older games also require you use more of your imagination to fill in the blanks,

Precisely. This is why, to this day, I prefer to play games with older, clunky style graphics.
Such as Silent Hunter 3

Also these games DID as was mentioned above, require you to think more about what you were doing and to be more patient, hence, the greater the feeling of accomplishment at the end of a task.

install flightgear

Attached: fgfs-screen-002.png (1680x1050, 1.51M)

>What makes using shitty PC's so comfy?
desu I don't understand this zoomer meme

How old were you when those PCs were new? As somebody who lived through the era when they were state of the art, I'll stick with my modern stuff.

repent zoomers

Attached: retropc.webm (854x480, 2.6M)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHW-f5ayhs

Redpill me on flight gear. What does it have over FS9/FSX? Looking at those clouds doesn't exactly inspire confidence in it.

I reimagine the real world onto the screen when playing less realistic simulators.

yep

Yes, you use your noggin more - hence its a more satisfying experience

FS9 is so comfy. Has that old MSFS flair, before FSX and Microsoft Flight sucked out all the soul.

Attached: stationair.png (1914x1006, 1.06M)

>Its not as real feeling or immersive as today
"Immersion" is a very relative feeling. It's not just about graphics.

>Older games also require you use more of your imagination to fill in the blanks
That's it. I don't think games are meant to look photorealistic. Games are meant to be... well, immersive and fun.

Peak comfy.

Attached: NFS3-04.jpg (1280x720, 162K)

>There's something oddly gratifying about just scraping along at barely 30 FPS with old games.
There is nothing comfy about that.

>"Immersion" is a very relative feeling. It's not just about graphics.
No, hence further comments regarding input required by user for more proper feeling of achievement.

it would be if old video cards were freesync compatible.

Such an ugly setup. I chuck shitheaps like those all the time at the recycler.

I didn't see Turok Evolution.

It's freedom-respecting software.

Attached: repent.png (1024x768, 255K)

The FMVs don't work in Windows 10, so you probably do need an old computer to enjoy the game. It's pretty nice in 4k with dgvoodoo though, other than the lack of FMVs and the English voices.

Linux users cannot run any old FOSS software without an extreme technology knowledge.

Kernel changes, GTK changes, shared libraries modifying or dependencies being lost forever make reverse compatibility in Linux a nightmare. Linux users accidentally forgot to archive their own historical legacy. The only thing that will ever be remembered about Linux is i3 ricing and GNOME devs being autistic.

>Linux users cannot run any old FOSS software
Most old FOSS software runs fine or needs minor patching. API changes are not nearly as drastic as ABI changes.
Most software doesn't even link against the kernel directly and is 99% posix stuff.

>using 3D cockpit

It doesn't even have sound last I checked.

I feel like it's because you just have to accept and work within limitations. It's interesting you posted a flight sim, because that's why I've started sticking to FS2004. With FSX/P3D there's so much new payware and other addons that you get stuck in a never ending loop of configuring and optimising the simulator rather than just accepting the limitations, letting your imagination fill the gaps and going for a flight.

This.
is a liar.

I went through the same cycle with Kerbal Space Program: too busy installing and managing mods that I barely had time to play it.
You eventually find your Zen, where you have a core of well-supported mods, and you don't need any more than that.
It's even easier with MSFS, because it's the same program it's been for 13 years, and addons aren't updated every other day like KSP.

lol, here's your retro linux pc bro

Attached: Screenshot_2019-09-12 Linux Gamers' FAQ.png (1757x4431, 461K)

comfy status: not comfy

I'm not a liar. And the idea that you have perfect binary compatibility of old games on Windows is laughable. See MGS will work on Windows 7 and 10, just with no fullscreen if you don't use a third-party compatability layer (dgvoodoo). With or without the compatability layer, the FMVs don't play.
MGS2 doesn't work at all on Windows 7 or 10 without a fan patch.
FOSS software is much easier to patch if needed.
Windows compatibility is very good for regular GUI apps, not so amazing for games that use old graphical frameworks.

It does have sound, some planes are just shit without sound, though that's only like 2 of the 30 or so I tried.

Attached: aesthetics2.webm (800x600, 2.97M)

I discovered an old game at a thrift shop a long time ago called Hardwar. It's a pretty fun Elite clone set on the surface of Titan with FMV cutscenes and a decent story, but it's just really relaxing to fly around and trade or run errands because of its simple, clear graphics with good texture work, and uncomplicated gameplay that doesn't nag you to do anything. Also the music is pretty good, bunch of experimental electronica from Warp.

youtube.com/watch?v=Up1Pgkv5sgg

Attached: hardwar_15.jpg (640x480, 57K)

You just got your ass raped by , I suggest you sit this one out.

Attached: 1426390486933.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

It's... a picture of a large FAQ? There are FAQs like that for Windows and windows games as well. And that wasn't even a response to any of my posts.

>so few actual games run on linux you can make a single FAQ for all of them

Attached: 1568319832362.jpg (444x433, 30K)

Saved, thanks user.

Is that NFS2 track in NFS4? Fucking awesome, I'll have to reinstall it sometimes.

Attached: 1487013333341.png (657x624, 30K)

This is now a NFS thread, the quads demand it.

Attached: Need_For_Speed_logo.png (1024x305, 40K)

yeah
you can still get tons of mods for NFS3 and 4 online, that's a GT90 i'm driving and the Zonda is fresh too.
veg.by/en/projects/nfs4/
veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/
i used these just to get the games working

sometimes i don't know what i appreciate more, the skill of the people who make these games or the people who manage to keep them working for decades.

>shitty
Explain.

What a ugly config, you spend so much time and yet you fail so hard
You just know it's done by people who weren't of age turning the time when the hardware was actually out

I miss this game a lot

Attached: d1.jpg (1024x768, 327K)

Attached: mw4 screen shot2.jpg (1024x768, 254K)

Attached: E4.jpg (1024x768, 344K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Zg7X8e_WwoI

looks fine

Attached: retropc6.webm (854x480, 972K)

Latency & Stuttering -

Older hardware like Athlon XPs, P3's running a single core configuration on DDR1 can be very responsive despite framerates being sub 60. Multicore only introduced compatibility problems to predominately single threaded games. Memory latency has only increased over time in order to accommodate faster timings.

Graphics API Compatibility -

Legacy APIs from Glide to DX8 were almost entirely for traditional pixel pipelines. Programmable shaders weren't really widely used. Thus multi-textured games tend to have this distanct look to their textures and how you expect scene lighting to be rendered (vertex shading, lightmaps). Early techniques at increasing texture detail like bump mapping and detail textures very much add to this look. All were farily inexpensive to render compared with later shader/compute intensive DX9 games.

You can throw a decent mid-high tier period corrrect GFX card into a retro system (like a 6800 GS or Ultra) for fairly cheap these days and experience very SMOOTH and responsive gaming.

All adds up to comfy.

I think it's the high contrast between game environment and "object in game". Low polygon count, etc. makes it very simple and easy to play with.

2slow
install il-2

Mechwarrior 4 still runs fine on modern systems and was even distributed for free by Microsoft for a while.
Mechwarrior 3 is the one that needs a period-correct system to run.

Knew that simulated cockpit was vaguely familiar.
I genuinely miss ms flight sim (98 specifically tho - still had two specific buildings)

however pic related

Attached: 1568170843992.jpg (480x451, 57K)

I have had the worst luck with motherboards trying to make a variety of old systems, my biggest two blunders being a micro atx super socket 7 system with a Cyrix M2, starting oneday the board refused to save bios settings, always reported low battery voltage, and finally stopped posting after a few attempts to boot. My first thought was just to buy any other board, turns out atx let alone micro atx socket 7 boards are stupid rare and very expensive, just gave up on that.
Had everything for it too, era peripherals, fancy Sony triniton, some bitchin voodoo's and even some original cosmetic stuff like a little chrome plated CPU cooler that had a matching chrome painted fan.

And then there was my XP machine, dear god. Another dead motherboard and another 1000$+ of old and extremely rare hardware that was partially thrown out and partially shelved. A solid copper OCZ eliminator tmd cooler, 400mhz corsair led ddr1, an albatron FX 5950 ultra, all the shit for a bitchin Pentium 4 system, dead ECS photon pf3 extreme, bios corruption and damage to the sata and ide controllers
Even had a dfi lanparty nf2 Ultra B and restored that board to functional condition, Its the undisputed best socket 462 board, and it killed every Athlon xp I put in the fucker and later killed the FX 5950 Ultra out of nowhere, the entire thing was getting stupid voltage ripple through it, the psu never had any issues, it happened at board level

Now im sitting on a bunch of really cool parts I can't use because I can't find any more high end era boards for non stupid eBay prices, and I'm still without my Halo 1 machine.

why freetards can't get into backward compatibility ?

Attached: 1455380081983.gif (1024x768, 174K)

>2016
Weak, why aren't you posting from that machine now? Also where's your IME? Does it not show up in the taskbar in old versions of windows?

Attached: Its_a_shitposting_system.png (1600x1200, 359K)

Backcompat is hard.
They don't do things that are hard.
Their howls of "bloat" in Windows regarding its gold-standard backcompat are pure post-hoc rationalisation.

Wew. Have you looked into Tribblix?

I was skeptical when anons posted that zoomers come here only for their meme fix, but now it's true. The vaporware+retro meme has to die. Literally, nobody's computers were like that at no point in history. It's just a made up aesthetics.

It's not comfy, every device becomes obsolete, 30fps is a meme, comparing fpses didn't become a thing till 2005-2010 and core 2, before that games simply did "stutter" or didn't work.

I had it working a while back on win10. They most likely broke something in an update again. Just use win7. Everything works on it.

A long time ago. Didn't have any desktop SPARC hardware at the time.
I'll give it a spin.
>Literally, nobody's computers were like that at no point in history.
Except that's literally the Solaris 9 install which came on my Ultra 10. No modifications were made there, apart from the deletion of old user data and NetSurf for shitposting.

The same kind of person who would also buy diamond coated cables and put them up on 10 000$ cable stands to get those creamy mids.

>I had it working a while back on win10
You're sure the FMVs played? There aren't that many of them, I think the first one is after the revolver ocelot boss battle when Otacon starts talking about his father and nukes.
What kind of graphics card do you have? Sometimes stuff like this can be related to driver hacks not being implemented, and I have an AMD card.
Did you just play vanilla?

Kek

Half of this thread belongs on Remember to report and ignore /v/ and /vr/ shitting in Jow Forums.

Attached: 1547518672178.gif (230x230, 1.54M)

>/vr/
yeah except nobody cares about that board

>comparing fpses didn't become a thing till 2005-2010 and core 2, before that games simply did "stutter" or didn't work.
That's fucking BS, comparing fpses came with the first 3D accelerators. Everyone wanted to play at highest framerates as possible, especially competitive games like Quake 3. Pic related is from 2000.

Attached: image004.gif (523x580, 9K)

cartoon-watching NPC manchild detected, free bump in progress

This 100%. Concise and succinct.

Gives me goosebumps. Wish I could return to those times...
>feelsbadman.bmp

There's nothing wrong with the thread, having slight problems with English? Bump away, this thread is on topic, some posts just ain't.

>Memory latency
I know all about that now that ryzen released thanks to Jow Forums

You have to realize, we aren't talking about some 8 or 16 bit systems.
A CL3 133MHz memory configuration can have the same latency as a CL15 3333Mhz one, the frequency is directly related to the timing when it comes to real world latency.

Nigga two of those dudes have no rice whatsoever.

IL-2 and Jane's USAF are the best air combat simulators ever.

God video games are cringe. I can't stand wintoddlers.

Based and redpilled

New games feel no more immersive than old games, if anything, they feel less so because the game has been simplified so much you only "press the A button".

Cloud amount & textures can be adjusted with sliders. Visibility and ceiling can be adjusted. Real world weather data can be imported, as well.

Except in the real world the bandwidth makes up for low latency. Having low latency does not create higher nominal bandwidth.

i came