Browser games

Idk if this is specifically a Jow Forums topic or a /v/ one. But its tech nevertheless. Is it possible, or even logical, to have a openworld 3d MMORPG built-in a browser like chrome, firefox etc.? Without any program installations with the only possible exception being extensions and the like? I know games like Agario and other io games exist, and they are "mmo" to a degree, but they are pretty simple graphic wise; in this situation, im talking games like WoW.
I'll like to learn if otherwise-- software installations only--is true and why. Or if it is possible, how would one come about to doing it?

Attached: 2KISFCWBJXZL1540950728113.jpg (2400x1350, 1.67M)

Other urls found in this thread:

beej.us/guide/bgnet/
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebSockets_API/Writing_WebSocket_servers
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebSockets_API/Writing_WebSocket_client_applications
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Overview
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im asking this from the perspective of browsers being "limited".

Check out the Game of Thrones Coming of Winter or something, that looks pretty advanced for a browser game. Though i5's possible all the rendering is done on their systems and they just send a video, I don't know.

RuneScape used to run in a Java applet in your browser before they added a desktop client

Weren't the graphics the "catch" with it being able to work in browsers in the first place?

Did a quick search, its an RTS game. Pretty much useless cause its not technically 3D or Openworld. And certainly not mmo((rpg))

yea, ragnarok online had an open source web port

Hmmm, that seems interesting! Will register and check it out.

Probably not, unless the game mechanics render cheats useless or you consider rampant cheating to be tolerable.

the graphics are beautiful

Most web games were built using java or flash back in the day, although HTML5 would be fine for making an mmo.

This will be piss easy nowadays with webgl or even web assembly. There are examples out there already of pretty heavy 3D games, the only difference would be in the networking stack. I am curious to see if low latencies can be achieved via the browser. Although that would not really stop a game like wow because I remember playing with about 200+ ms back when it came out.

It's possible but why would you?

Look into canvas and opengl

have you heard of runescape?

Attached: A1A18643-9CD6-48E0-BFE6-92691F147EB8.png (820x729, 106K)

yes.

No.
RuneScape HD launched in 2007. It even had DirectX support.
The "catch" was it needed to the Java Applet to run.

Hello, I'm actually working on a multiplayer browser game myself, it's 100% possible. Thanks to new browser standards like wasm, WebSockets, and Web RTC. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

also, I noticed a lot of people saying browsers don't have good graphics. that's not true because browsers have access to openGL through webGL and canvas.

OP here. wow. The only reason I made this thread was because I was thinking of making a game in a broswer for the past week. Tell me more.

I'm using my own game engine written in c++ and it'll use the google filament renderer which has support for WebGL. For networking, I'm currently using WebSockets but WebRTC might be better since it uses UDP for networking but it's much more complex from what I heard.

I want to learn more about client-to-web programs etc. Have any resources for me to look/read?

I recommend you read a bit about networking first. The first few chapters of this should be good enough: beej.us/guide/bgnet/

Afterwards you'll want to read about WebSockets or HTTP:
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebSockets_API/Writing_WebSocket_servers
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/WebSockets_API/Writing_WebSocket_client_applications

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Overview

amazing. thanks user! also, please update us on your game if you ever publish it. I want to try it out.

Isn't exposing the whole code to user a bigger issue in a browser game than graphics? People play text-mode muds but visible code is an invitation for pajeets to steal your game.

Well not really since the code can be obfuscated make it hard to read for a human. With wasm, it's all in binary making it even harder.

Well t. programmer, webdev
WebGL is similar to OpenGL ES 2.0. Yes, you can do a full fledged mmorpg running with it. It's also similar to what phones used for a long time until Vulkan.

The downsides are... it's not nearly as good as Vulkan, despite Vulkan supporting a wide range of hardware (nearly 10 year old GPUs with GCN, and years old phones at this point).
Also, shit just tends to be less stable in the browser.

Another major problem is that multithreaded javascript got nuked because of the Intel security vulns. afaik it's still disabled on the latest browsers. Not being able to multithread massively limits what you can do performance and complexity wise.

There are some attempts at WebGL MMORPGs but I can't think of any good ones. Titans of Tides is one.
League of Angels is some chinese or korean shit.
Eldevin is another.

lmao? on an mmorpg you should obviously not trust the clients. Cheating isn't a problem.
No. You can decompile any program. Decompilation is how the original Minecraft mods were made possible and generally a step in how Unity engine mods are made.
If anything, it's a benefit as it makes making mods to enhance the client experience much easier while your server shouldn't be trusting clients to begin with.
Obfuscation isn't security.

everything you said is correct. However, you can still do multithreading on the web. I don't think the web workers API is disabled on the latest browsers unless you can prove that.

the last post I made is a bit confusing, I meant everything but one thing is correct.

You aren't exposing the whole fucking game to the user. MMORPGs are usually made using a client/server architecture. The user only have access to the client code. So if some Jow Forums tier hacker decide to start reverse engineering your shit, assuming you weren't retarded and put critical shit in your client software then you shouldn't have to whorry about people stealing jack because they only have the client code.

>browser games
stopped reading your thread there, just get out

I was under the impression that web workers were changed to operate on the same thread in 2017 or 2018, but I can't find any source on that.
I guess it'd be easy enough for me to test and see, if only I didn't feel like it.
I remember reading headlines about web page, or browser, or browser JS multithreading being disabled some time again yet I can't find them now. So don't take my word for it.

It's hard for me to see how they can be secured against speculative execution. I guess it'd require using something performant like asm.js and maybe the browsers detect the attempts to leak memory? But from what I've seen, some of these vulnerabilities are extremely difficult to identify.
Many of these exploits were shown to work through Javascript, to leak encrypted memory or cache. And disabling HT and multithreading seemed to be the only clear fix in some cases.

I wish I could find more details on how Mozilla and Google are protecting against those vulns.

WebGL exists and it's pretty good. however, think about how heavy the game's footprint would be - mmo's are already big by themselves, if you include whatever browser you're using on top of it you'd get terrible performance. there's also stuff like rust and webasm (which can be compiled directly from unity) which could help in making this.
tl;dr entirely possible with no plugins however not practical at all

Possible yes, logical no
The only reason you would do it is if you were too incompetent to do real programming, in which case stop trying to make an MMORPG

it's possible but would have much higher system requirements than a normal desktop program