>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>How to assemble a PC
youtu.be/hGiAfMoYEjI?t=92

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Minimum 30-60fps gaming. 2400G/3400G may be worth to less likely require a CPU upgrade when adding a dGPU
>R5 2600 - 60fps+ gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>Wait for Threadripper gen3 - Extreme overkill gaming with its larger cache
>R7 1700 - Budget production
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM
>Do NOT use a single DIMM. 2 sticks for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in P/N) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660/TI / Vega56 - higher fps / more demanding games; only worth it on sale as normal cost is overpriced
>RX 5700 - higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 70-100FPS+ gaming
>RX 5700XT - higher FPS
2160p (4K)
>RX 5700XT/2070S - budget option. Upscale with RIS/CAS
>2080Ti - best for 4K, but poor value

>RX 570/580 stock is becoming limited as RX 5600 launch approaches

General
>Yes, adaptive sync (g/free-sync) is important for gaming
>HDD are defunct except for servers, NAS, and sub-$400 builds; SSDs are cheap now
>Beware sites which rank CPUs by arbitrary, obfuscated scores (eg userbenchmark, passmark, cpuboss), and comparisons which only use averages and not 1% minimums nor framegraphs
>AM4 VRMs, Monitors & Storage/SSD guidelines under "more"

more rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: build your own laptop.jpg (2964x1666, 399K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/dp/B013JPKUU2/?tag=pcp0f-20
youtu.be/nAKyh-qqQCw
youtube.com/watch?v=czHvAhG4xTc
pcpartpicker.com/list/KtLtxG
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281
pcpartpicker.com/list/vYtjjy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Need help on choosing 7200rpm drive for long storage, going to be raidz2.
Which drive manufacturers are the best?
Currently looking at Toshiba x300 @ $158.60 leaf bucks, is it any good?
amazon.ca/dp/B013JPKUU2/?tag=pcp0f-20

>amazon.ca/dp/B013JPKUU2/?tag=pcp0f-20
Or should I wait for drop in price? It's been $124.99 (Aug 30, 2019) 2 weeks ago

>HDDs in 2019
Really would recommend getting 6TB minimum if you're getting a HDD. Otherwise it defeats the purpose.

SSDs costing 1.5x-3x as much for more than 10x the performance is generally worth it at 4TB and lower.

Remember that bower cooler cards are not good, unless you are in a niche situation where your card has little to no space to draw in air, or you have no case fans to push out the hot air.
As far as cooling the GPU itself open coolers are better.

Attached: but muh blower coolers are good.jpg (1449x773, 165K)

What should I use instead of speccy?

>Reference cooled 5700XT - $400
>EK waterblock + backplate - $160
>$560 for a 5700XT with no noise and temps will be sub 60C
or
>Just buy a top tier air cooled RTX2070 Super

Gaming at 1440p144HZ

Attached: EK-Vector_Radeon_RX_5700_Acetal_Front_PCB_GT.jpg (1403x805, 223K)

87C at 40dBa isn't even that bad.
There are air coolers which do worse, like milled heatsink ones.

System Information Viewer if you are big brain enough

>87C at 40dBa isn't even that bad.
fuck off

>There are air coolers which do worse, like milled heatsink ones.
post them

some mITX cases benefit from reference coolers but that's about it.

indeed, and I don't disgree with that, its just the guy has been pushing blower coolers so hard, some people might get the wrong idea.

5700 XT gonna come in the mail today, I'll be fine with a 630W PSU, right? Ryzen 5 3600 on the CPU.

Now run the same test in a case and show me the percentages the fans are set to.

what unit is it? wattage means nothing if the PSU is garbage quality.
bump. Honestly don't know what to buy at this point. I've seen benches of a 2100MHz clocked 5700XT underwater beating an RTX2080 Super in some games.

That's plenty

>percentages the fans are set to.
Fan percentages mean fuck all. As one fan with max RPM of 1000 is not the same as another fan with max RPM of 2000.

be quiet Pure Power, 80+ gold.

then you should be fine.

The tests I've seen open ait cards frequently go up to 95% of the fan speed to maintain their temp under 80deg,
most blower cards are limited to 40% by default, bumping that up to 60% gives the same thermals as an open air card

Also the use of an open a card even in a mid-size ATX case results in high temperatures inside the case for the other components

holy fuck why is a waterblock $160?
I'd imagine you can get one custom CNC'd for a one-off single order for that price.

even if it's a shit PSU, it's probably enough.
3600+5700xt should only use around 300W.

Sounds like you're trying to hide something. This is like when they AMD wouldn't publish the power usage of the gpus back in the 290 days

>holy fuck why is a waterblock $160?
Waterblock is $130, the backplate is $30. And GPU blocks are always this much.

Are you mentall ill? Or a bot?
Can' you not read this?

The fan perfcentage means fuck all, what matters is the sound they produce.

Performance at NOISE normalized levels.

muh epic fan % is a meaningless metric.

Next you will demand people measure the temperatures at the based on the RGB color and not the noise the fans produce.

So are discrete cards no longer a thing? Got a case that any full size card dies in. Maybe I should get those adapters and have the card live outside.

Are we seriously arguing about whether reference cards are good? They're not. They're hot and loud and have a niche case inside certain mITX cases. Will a reference card prevent itself from throttling? Sure, but just barely AND it will sound like a fucking jet engine.

I'm a little paranoid after buying a Vega 56 from the same retailer, which I unfortunately had to RMA. Kept getting frequent crashes and Mindfactory told me that 630W is not enough (Sapphire actually recommends 750W, which is crazy to me). After some googling I found out that V56 has crazy spikes in power draw which my PSU probably wasn't able to handle, even though it's perfectly fine and working properly. Sure, with a little extra wattage I maybe would've been fine but to me that it's such an insane flaw with the GPU that I'm not willing to keep such a poorly designed piece of hardware, since the max. power draw on those cards shouldn't exceed 300W at stock clocks. Tech support even got a little passive agressive in responses to my emails - they're probably aware of the shit that they're selling, which is why it was reduced in price so much.
Thanks for reading my blog post.

what are you talking about?

>I'm a little paranoid after buying a Vega 56 from the same retailer, which I unfortunately had to RMA. Kept getting frequent crashes and Mindfactory told me that 630W is not enough (Sapphire actually recommends 750W, which is crazy to me).
I had a 750W seasonic gold focus and had same issues. It's not the power supply.

Vega used a lot more power than Navi. Shit it wasn't uncommon for some of the factory overclocked Vega 64's to hit nearly 400w usage.

>Vega 64's to hit nearly 400w usage.

Attached: vega power spikes.png (890x599, 104K)

Yeah, I remember seeing a thread on leddit specifically mentioning Seasonic PSUs, which to my knowledge are some of the best on the market. I would've loved to keep that card at a 240€ price point but unfortunately it appears to be absolute dog shit. Not content with going all out and spending 150€ on a 5700 XT either tho, I don't really need that much performance with 1080p.

%s/discrete/low profile/g
Fuck.

youtu.be/nAKyh-qqQCw
3:50
In an actual case, open air coolers need to run their fans so fast and they increase the heat of the case causing the CPU fan to go faster too, that they are actually LOUDER than reference blowers.

Everyone saying that blower style cards are bad is comparing numbers from an open air testbench not inside an actual computer.

8tb toshiba or ironwolf pro.

>open air coolers need to run their fans so fast and they increase the heat of the case
>running your GPU fans fast
>is what increase the heat of the case
What are you even saying retard.

You know exactly what I mean, I find it very suspicious when people pull the"pretend not to know what you're saying" argument.

With the very little testing that has been done into this
1.blower cards run at the same temperatures as open air cards when their fans curve is set slightly higher than stock levels, possibly lower if set higher
2.Blower cards are quieter than open at cards
3. Open air cards increase the temps of all other components in the case even with larger cases, to the point that an ITX case with a blower style card stays cooler internally then an open air card in a mid-size tower and otherwise identical hardware.

Vega had some power spiking issue.
Even if the average power consumption was in the 165-232W range for Vega56, they could spike to 400+ for a few ms which would make some PSUs just arbitrarily shut off.

That's not what he's saying. There is nothing causal in the syntax of that sentence.

Generally better off getting the 5700 and BIOS flashing it if you want more performance, anyway.

BLOWERS CONFIRMED FOR GREAT

VINDICATION!

rate and hate
pcpartpicker.com/list/KtLtxG

Is he, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

Pick a better SSD, GPU, and PSU model.
You can also get a board with wifi built in for like fucking $10 more ???

no blower is as quiet as cards like the red devil and trio X

your own video shows how fucking stupid of an idea blowers are.

Attached: in case of blower shill.jpg (2256x5568, 2.18M)

oh yes, he is definitely, your guy.

Attached: why yes I am amd shill, how coud you tell.jpg (631x605, 111K)

This is a video without altering the fan speed curve, and he says right out that the open air cooler with louder than the blower style cooler. By increasing the cutve to 60% blower cards run as cool if not cooler than open air cards.
This remains true when comparing open air cards in a mid-size case to blower card in an ITX case

Is amd really desperate to sell reference GPUs or something? Is that why this push is being made to make people believe blowers are good?

>no blower is as quiet as cards like the red devil and trio X
Do you have a video comparing a red devil trio x and blower style card inside a case?

>Not using ribbon connections for the monitor's power and video
c'mon step it up

>Theorem is that open air cooling on gpu heats up case internals because it's not exhausting the air itself
>Graphs all show components paired with a blower run cooler
What are you trying to say user

Hi anons. Planning to build a new rig around a 3700X. What is the best bang for the buck mobo ?

>oh no my motherboard went from 39 deg to 42 deg
>better increase my gpu temps from 75 to 86
Those are some fucked up priorities.

Probably some dude who bought a blower card and is desperately trying to convince himself that it's better than the aftermarket coolers.

Increase the fan speed on the blower card to 60%

It's almost like AMD deliberately left the fan speed low and allowed the card to reach 85 to make open air coolers look better as a favour to the manufacturers...

think of the ramifications if the blower style cooler was perfectly fine without any modifications? As it is it's already fine but increasing the fan speed from 40% to 60% makes it fantastic, which would piss off the manufacturers

>It's almost like AMD deliberately left the fan speed low and allowed the card to reach 85 to make open air coolers look better as a favour to the manufacturers...
Not sure if mental illness, troll, or a rising comedian.

Attached: 1374257780288.gif (187x155, 2.28M)

If you have an air conditioner where does it exhaust the heat?

ASRock B450 Pro4 was the cheapest at my retailer and it worked flawlessy with Zen 2 right out of the box, which even says "Ryzen 3000 series ready". Haven't done any OC yet though.
A lot of people seem to recommend the Tomahawk MAX but that was quite a lot more expensive at my retailer.

That would be the opposite of what Nvidia does, where they keep the best cards to themselves and they sell their seconds to third party manufacturers.

Every nVidia card not sold direct from Nvidia is a B grade card, remember that

The ASRock cannot be updated 2 3rd gen without having a 1st or 2nd gen CPU in it.

The msi can

>hurrr nvidia bad, you are getting second grade chips if you buy nvidia
>blower good, after market coolers bad
this theory here seems to be ever more plausible

even the XT is fine with it's blower

That's why I said MINE came Ryzen 3000 series ready which it even said on the box. So it wasn't even my retailer flashing another BIOS.
I only bought it over the Tomahawk MAX because people in the review section on Mindfactory said it doesn't need a BIOS update, so YMMV.

Wherever the condenser is... you don't have a compressor installed in your PC, so that's not related.
Personally I have a Power Mac G5 case with fans on the front and back, so I want something that runs quieter.

Good job not reading the post you replied to.

There was always a rumor that FE cards were better binned so people would water block them.
Nvidia was selling those blower cards for $100 more than their MSRP, as well.

I've got a NH-D15 for my 3700X.
The thing works flawlessly. Noise levels are amazingly low and the temperature is very good.
But I'd like to get something a bit more aesthetic. I've considered selling it and getting a NH-U12A (pic related), and then replacing the fans when Noctua release a black version of them. Will the few degree temp difference make a significant impact on CPU performance. I mostly care about noise.

Attached: Noctua_U12A.jpg (1222x1500, 243K)

>buying based on a rumor

Attached: whatttt.gif (374x288, 2.93M)

>spend weeks picking parts for new budget workstation build
>no 3900x so have to settle for a 3700x
>crucial ballistix sport lt 32gb 3200, x570 meg ace, 2070 super, hx850 psu, nh-d15
>wait for a week for everything to arrive
>finish new build
>works perfectly first time I turn it on, but only for 2 days
>after a regular restart, it doesn't post anymore
>CPU LED red
>go through massive troubleshooting spree over 3 afternoons
>think it might be the board
>replace board, another week passes
>now get CPU LED red and DRAM LED red
>now have to get replacement CPU and RAM, which will take another week or so

FUCK THIS SHIT

all I wanted was to get some work done in unreal engine and now it's 4 weeks later and I still don't have a working system

>>hurrr nvidia bad, you are getting second grade chips if you buy nvidia
you actually are, they kept the best chips for the founders and FTW edition

Maybe there will be a chink block from barrow for less eventually.
Their Vega FE block is $50.

It's an issue on seasonics because their OCP are too sensitive.
Seasonic fixed it on newer revisions.

and your proof of this? You know something to back up what you are saying?

imagine having voltage spikes so hard that the powersupply literally thinks your system is burning down

Imagine designing OCP so bad the PSU shuts down for no good reason while other PSUs run just fine, then later had to redesign it to be not shit while releasing an official statement.
At least they provided support for those who bought one.

user who you replied to first here. What about Pcie 4 ? How long before it is of any use? I'm planning on a build which would last 6-7 years (CPU Only, will obviously upgrade the GPU every 2 or 3 years)

>while releasing an official statement.
so you wouldn't mind posting
it then?

Why not just NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Black fans on the D15?

P400a or P600s guys ?

>NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Black
The D15 is too bulky for my taste, and I think it's a bit overkill, since my 3700X draws max 80-90W when at full load.

What kind of RAM do I have?
This is the spec sheet from Typhoon Burner.
I don't see this ram in the Ryzen Ram calculator, so I'm not sure about the OC potential.

Attached: ram_type.png (866x851, 317K)

anyone know where to find those off brand no name cube servers from the early 2000s? like yeong yang and Chenbro? they kinda look like old early 90s workstations/servers I want to case mod one of them too look "SGI-ish" or get a Chenbro SR103 that looks like the old Iris crimson/onyx/challenge cubes without destroying a real one like a fag

It's Hynix CJR (look at the Part Number and you'll see CJR).

that sucks, user

$50 is reasonable

>How long before it is of any use
It has uses now for productivity. For gaming, idk maybe never.

A 3600 with an a320m costs just 5 dolars more in my country than just a 3600, is it bait?
I think ill grab it and upgrade mobo whenever.

which country?

Has anyone been to a place like Microcenter and asked them to update the bios of B450/X470 boards for Ryzen 3000 series compatibility without having to buy a non Zen2 CPU?

9700K or 3700X for pure gaming, 1440@144Hz?

if its anything past the 3600 I wouldnt do it, only
a handful of 450/470 have decent VRMs for overclocking a 3700x and they cost as much a 570 with decent vrm

Yeah it's for 3600. A decent B450 would be more than enough for my needs.

3700X will more consistently give good frametimes, and uses less power.
But really, either is rarely worth it over the 3600 to begin with.

Microcenter has a bunch of boards already updated...

If you can confirm the board actually has the BIOS to run the CPU, you may as well.
If it's shit you could probably sell the board for $20, right?

Brazil

Retailer upgrades it

This board can't even prove that open air graphics cards are better than blower cards

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281

Thank you, user!

Honestly if it'll make you happy just go for the U12A. My brother has almost the same specs as me(same CPU,GPU,mobo and 32gb ram) and his temps are within 1-2 degrees with his D15 and my U12A. Factor in the different cases and airflow around our computers, I'd say that makes the gap within variance.

I don't know why anyone buys anything other than the arctic 34 or mugen 5.
They look nice, perform well for a

pcpartpicker.com/list/vYtjjy

Any comments, suggestions, etc.? I have $1600USD to spend including peripherals.
I plan on using the computer for casual gaming (fighting games, CSGO, and horror games) and internet browsing. I also want some semblance of future-proofing in that I ideally won't be buying anything else for the inside of the case for at least 3 years.

Why are you buying two SSDs? Also, why one MX500 and one 860 Evo? You'd probably be able to get a 500gb mx500 instead of a 250gb 860 Evo.

why does anyone buy a new cooler and not use their old hyper 212 evo?

I don't really know I was just copying a few other buy guides I saw because this is my first PC but I appreciate the advice.

Change CPU to 3600
Remove the 860 evo (what hte fuck do you have it already or something? why would you pay $65 for 250Gb 860 evo?) and just increase the SSD to 2TB.
Change case to Versa H18 and save $55
Replace Noctua fans with Arctic ones. P14s I guess.
Why not get a 5700..? Or at least spend the $10 more for the 1660 if it's still on sale.
Wooting and Bloody make low latency keyboards which help with competitive games. Expensive, but within your budget.
That LG Nano-IPS 1440p 144hz monitor. Not sure if it'll fit in budget with spending that much on keyboard idk.

Huh apparently loads of 2TB SSDs massively jumped in price. MX500 and SU800 2TB are $50 more expensive than last week.