/spg/ - Smartphone General

OnePlus 7T Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com
phonedb.net

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone News
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/5QCem1YH

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread:

Attached: oneplus_7t_1.png (1345x1216, 1.5M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_9_lite_goes_official_in_spain-news-39200.php
youtu.be/GJ6NmNnRfHs
gsmarena.com/search.php3?
gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2018&chk35mm=selected&s4Gs=4,7,12,17&sSIMTypes=3&sOSes=2&idCardslot=1
youtube.com/watch?v=9q9vBFkR1eU
github.com/Saki-EU/XiaomiADBFastbootTools
celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog626/
github.com/Adamantcheese/Kuroba/releases
vanced.app/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

p30 or p30 pro ?

what manufacturer has the best warranty support

Okay so basically

>P30 Pro
Better battery life, 50x times zoom, day pictures look less colorful, no sd slot or 3.5mm

>S10+
Worse battery, accidental touches bc of curve, more colorful day pics, only 10x zoom, better screen, sd slot and 3.5mm

My hesrt says.30 Pro my brain says S10+. Which one is truly better? Had a lots of bad experience with samsungs before

Askin again

>what manufacturer has the best warranty support
I can tell you who to avoid for sure - LG (bootloop debacle), Apple (only after numerous lawsuits people have gotten help). Xiaomi devices on the other hand don't have have a flash counter like KNOX on Samsung devices and rooting/unlocking their bootloaders doesn't void warranty.

>50x times zoom
lol wtf

gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_9_lite_goes_official_in_spain-news-39200.php
Well, this is pretty much it - the perfect phone launched globally.
>AMOLED display, knowing Xiaomi the same one used on the K20/Pro/Mi 9
>Snapdragon 710
>4/6 GB RAM variants
>4030 mAh battery
>crazy cameras
>micro SD card and a headphone jack
>in display fingerprint scanner
After development picks up and custom ROMs come - they just plain and simple won everything there is to win. A definite buy without thinking about a replacement for years.

It has a notch so it's only almost perfect.

do you really need a card slot and jack?

>It has a notch so it's only almost perfect.
Well, you know, with an AMOLED display it doesn't really matter as you wouldn't notice it's hidden. See here:
youtu.be/GJ6NmNnRfHs
And I might suggest waiting and buying one without a notch in the future, but then again they or any other manufacturer might never make this mistake again.

The mistake being releasing a phone in this day and age without compromises. Note 9 was also it, but custom ROM development just very recently picked up and it's a one year old phone.

Oneplus just WHAT are you doing??

why buy this when the Mi9T is cheaper, has a better SoC (SD730 vs 710), better camera setup (ultrawide AND telephoto), no notch and more RAM in the base model.

1 year old should not be old, its more about marketing and consumerism that makes us think in that way, its still fully capable and should be in the future. I mean probably note 5 is still capable of normal using except gayming and taking huashit leica tier pictures

Everyone's jumping on applels retard train

It lacks a headphone jack and a micro SD card slot. That's just dumb. Some people also object to a mechanized front facing camera, but I don't really care because I'm not considering those particular models.

>applels retard train
what has apple got to do with it?

I said that while referring to community support and their strength or lack there of.

>It lacks a headphone jack
wrong

>micro SD card slot
just get the 128GB version, that's more storage than 99% of users will ever fill up.

All things considered the Mi9T is still better AND cheaper.

s7 edge finally died on me like a bitch
looking for a replacement now
i only use my phone for making calls, checking my e-mail and twitter
i bought the s7 thinking id take lots of pics with its great camera but as it turns out i dont give a shit about pictures and it was a mistake to buy this device
what do you recommend /spg/?

Attached: 1567240589014.jpg (640x639, 236K)

Retarded camera layout
Mi9T has headphone jack, I guess Mi9 Lite appeals to people that want to use face-unlock

My s7 edge died a few weeks ago, I just upgraded to a s10 plus. Love the phone for now.

>It lacks a headphone jack
>wrong
I mean, alright I was wrong, but again - it's just dumb on Xiaomi's part.
>micro SD card slot
>just get the 128GB version, that's more storage than 99% of users will ever fill up.
I haven't tried it, but when there's a choice of not giving it up - I won't. And it's not like that's a high tech feature or anything.

>Retarded camera layout
It's nothing like the one on the iPhones tho, looks more like the one on Mate 30 Pro

Attached: huawei_mate30_pro.jpg (2220x2000, 413K)

I've only recently started using the messaging app on my Xperia phone.
Can I just not send images via sms at all? Is there some app that would allow me to?
Is it restricted because I'm usually taking to people in iPhones and I can't use imessage? I can't see pictures they send, either.

Yeah I know but now applel did it so everyone must make their own version
>also triple camera notch
oh for fuck sakes, why would you need SEVEN cameras on a phone ? WHY ?

Understood
It has android 10 and 2 more years of updates... Probably they will finish nice ROMs by that date

Are there any new smartphones of worth that don't have these onions rounded corners?

It seems that every new phone of worth has the same onions design
>notch/hole
>counded screen corners
>shitty mono downfiring speaker
I fucking hate it, it's so fuckign disgusting
And those that deviate seem to deviate in ways that make things even worse
>samshit style curved display
>sony looooooooooooooong phone is stupidly looooooooooooooooooooooong meme to where either you have to watch a very small video or you have to cut the top and bottom off significantly to actually take advantage of the screen size

I can maybe over look the notch if there's a built-in software solution to 'disable' it (i.e. move everything downwards)
And I can maybe even overlook the single downwards mono shitty speaker
BUT I CAN'T GET OVER THE ROUNDED SCREEN CORNERS
It's so fucking onions, I can't stand it. It's done for no good reason, no practical reason. It doesn't benefit the user AT ALL. Even the notch, you can kinda argue that it give the user 'more screen space' - of course in practical terms it doesn't, who utilizes that extra screen sapce up there, it's just an eyesore, extra useless dog ears of space - but you can TECHNICALLY argue that there is a reason for it. But for rounded off corners - there is no fucking benefit, no fucking excuse. It's just pure onions kikery.

So are there any decent new phones without this shit? My midranger from 2015 is getting onld, but I'm hanging onto it desperately as every phone seems so much shitter now - while also costing 2 or 3 times more. Madness.

Attached: 1561746893389.jpg (828x651, 68K)

Best custom ROM for The redmi note 6 pro?

>Probably they will finish nice ROMs by that date
I hope so, but it being so expensive didn't make it easier for developers. The S7/Edge were the last of that developer friendly Samsung era phones.

S11+ concept with sliding flexible screen that also hides back camera. Atleast squared corners. Curve- just mechanical part, not screen.

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_ewanspence_files_2019_09_forbes_lgd_galaxy_s11_plus_render.jpg (960x631, 68K)

>I can maybe over look the notch if there's a built-in software solution to 'disable' it (i.e. move everything downwards)
And this was always a thing on Android devices

Aaaaaaaah what phone to get there's too much choice

Never understood how people consider this a con.

>It's so fucking onions
wut

And for normal people to man up and buy it. Mix 4 coming at the end and start price is lower than 600$ 100%

Is MIUI still shit if you get a launcher and icon pack

gsmarena.com/search.php3?

just search for what u want

On lcd it is for me , screen bleeding and no deep black, looks disgusting. But on amoled no problem.

What's the best "phone" with a proper OS (i.e. runs proper GNU/Linux with arbitrary desktop applications)?

a Linux running laptop with a SIM card slot and 4G capabilities built in

Needs to be handheld and usable while holding it.

>handlet
lmao
acquire size

I actually prefer 4-5" phones because I find it hard to hold the 6"+ monstrosities.
Also, fitting in a decently-sized pants pocket would be nice.

P30 has the same curved panel, screen is (barely) worse, the update roadmap is uncertain at best and the camera is actually pretty dope and if that's all you care about then get the p30 pro.
An S10 is generally the wiser choice imo.

>now applel did it so everyone must make their own version
the chinks were doing multi camera phones (3+ sensors) way before Apple did it. So if anything it's Apple that's copying the chinks now.

Attached: 187638f6.jpg (600x347, 17K)

Color can be quickly fixed with an image editing application. SD card slot is a wash to me, but I don't have a need for more than 256GB onboard. The absence of a headphone jack can't be fixed. So the decision comes down to how much you prioritize still camera vs. audio quality or not needing a dongle for headphones. I just made the same decision and I went with camera.
50x is digital zoom, but "usable" (i.e. you can make out what you're looking at) because of the 5x optical zoom, massive megapixel count, OIS, and fancy software processing. It's nothing special if you have a decent dedicated camera, but neat for a cellphone camera. The Mate 30 Pro apparently won't have the 5x optical zoom because they're focusing on improving video quality, which Apple still leads everyone on.

Are there any good smartphones with removable batteries? Seems they're all low tier phones these days.

I can speak for avoiding LG.
I got a bootloop on my Nexus 5X, sent it in for warranty and they said that they can't repair it under warranty because it has a few small scratches on it. Remember, it's a very soft plastic phone. They were seriously small wear marks you get on every plastic phone.
Oh and if I wanted to have it repaired outside of warranty, it would have cost 350eur.
Never touching LG again.

>Nexus 5X
the V line is great

Attached: dean nope.gif (245x245, 922K)

v20 and v30 are god tier phones but people avoid them because they carry the LG logo.

on the plus side, it means that prices go down fast as normies. you can get an almost brand new 128gb lg v30 for the same price as a fucked up burned in galaxy s8 or s9

Fuck. I know that it's probably best to upgrade in 2-3 years, but I'd still rather not have to if I could switch the battery.

Is the K20 Pro worth it or just go for the regular Mi9t?

Gonna buy a new phone on Friday, what is best for me?
>USA
>ATT
>probably needs to be nano sim
>Android
>$400-$500
>good headphone audio
>large storage, preferably with sd card slot too
>good amount of RAM by today's standards
>won't die in two hours
>play GBF but don't think that's very hard to run
And are all the wifi adapters the same on these phones? I swear my HTC 10 is autistic, but maybe it's all Androids.

Attached: robot rice.jpg (715x1000, 179K)

Apparently the Pocophone it's easy to remove the battery.

Miui is great you idiot

Does it require a suction cup?

read reviews, most phones' wifi will be adequate but there are outliers which suck.

Are you planning on buying outright or are you going through AT&T?

I didn't include price information because if you're going through your carrier you can get a more expensive phone, but you can narrow it down from here by clicking "refine search"

gsmarena.com/results.php3?nYearMin=2018&chk35mm=selected&s4Gs=4,7,12,17&sSIMTypes=3&sOSes=2&idCardslot=1

probably gonna get a samsung galaxy A50
misht aswell ask so before i do is there any reason why i shouldn't?

Nokia 7.2
Zenfone M2
Mi A3 if you can deal with low res screen (only noticeable with text)
Pocophone
Or used flagship

Should I really care about having the latest OS version when looking for a new phone?

Attached: latestdarpaproject.png (306x450, 240K)

We hate samsung

Attached: giphy (1).gif (400x225, 515K)

don't really care about fitting in here desu no offence

Should have added, don't want anything Samsung.

Maybe HTC 10 is an outlier.
I want to buy outright, outside of ATT. Could be a phone ATT offers, but could be something they don't have too. Want to keep my options open.
Thanks for the list, I'll look through it.

Nokia looks like they're good things days. Thanks for the suggestions too.

>being a pathetic sack of shit who can't even think for himself
ELL
EM
AY
OH

Based and redpilled

depends on what you do
if you do a lot of money stuff, then yeah it's safest to have constant updates
in which case a pixel, or possibly an 'android one' phone IF reviews say it is frequently kept up to date OS wise

if you don't do money stuff and thus you don't need the latets updates and patches to stay super duper safe
then nah you don't really need it

What I'd do is just refine the list for features you want. All I did was select the bands used by AT&T, add options for 3.5mm jack and SD Card. If you want a specific size you can refine your results. If you're looking for something stock Android and not too concerned about camera, the Nokias are decent although tend to have last year's chip.

Well there's reasons we don't like Samsung, heavy skin, slow updates. But they've got a lot better in recent years, using an S5 with touchjizz was suffering compared to something like a Nexus 5 with glorious stock Android. today the difference is smaller, but still significant.

Security Patches != OS Updates
As long as you're reasonably up to date on security patches you should be OK, even if you're not on the latest OS. Being on the latest OS is a nice side benefit of Pixel and to a lesser extent Android One phones.

Alright thanks, I only ever do such things on a secure home network anyway.

How is Blackberry going?

>we
You're doing that again, it's pathetic.

Dead as a fucking dodo.

But that was started by Huawei, Apple copied their pancake camera module

Mi9T is enough

no, all you got to do to get to the battery is unscrew a few screws and remove the back cover with a guitar pick or something similar.
youtube.com/watch?v=9q9vBFkR1eU

>watch le bald youbuter of phones
>Mi9T teardown video
>starts shilling D-brand stickers again
>try're 13$ a pop plus shipping
>same shit goes for 1.5€ on ali express
any experience with those ?

Attached: For-Xiaomi-Redmi-K20-Pro-Mi-9T-Pro-6-39-New-Full-Cover-Back-Decal-Skin[1].jpg (800x800, 245K)

>good headphone audio
>large storage, preferably with sd card slot too
LG V40 or G8, can be found for less than $400 brand new or open box off ebay.

That's not too bad.

there's no reason to buy the A50 when Mi9T exists (unless you're a stinky burger)

The last LG I had was the V10, and it got that bootloop. Did LG ever fix the issue?

LG bootloops have been fixed since 2016

they fixed it with the v20

Wish I knew then, but oh well. Good to know.

I have a v20 but I was thinking of getting a v30/35 is the v40 that much better I wasnt really considering it cause of the notch.

to me it doesn't make sense why not just give it a thin case?

does g have more then one phone? i currently have an xz2c and a redmi note 7 in lineage. should i keep both or sell one?

>there's too much choice
There are a lot of phones coming out now but when you actually filter out the shitty ones and the features you want it to have, there's only a handful left.

I'd suggest getting a newer model just to get longer support in terms of Android updates.

>cause of the notch
you can hide the notch pretty well on an OLED phone since the display can completely switch off individual pixels

alright, just got my mi 9t pro, I didnt even turn it on yet
what should I first do in order to fully enjoy the phone? apps, launchers etc...

>any experience with those ?
Probably more affordable and practical in the US and he got a sponsorship. I mean, you can't really blame him that much since his sponsors sometimes provide the phones he destroys.

>alright, just got my mi 9t pro, I didnt even turn it on yet
>what should I first do in order to fully enjoy the phone? apps, launchers etc...
Get a good case and a screen protector for it. And start the bootloader unlocking process.

To debloat the stock ROM (no root required):
github.com/Saki-EU/XiaomiADBFastbootTools

Install GCam:
celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/changelog626/

Kuroba for comfy Jow Forums browsing:
github.com/Adamantcheese/Kuroba/releases

Youtube Vanced for ad-free Youtube:
vanced.app/

There's a ton of launchers available but I suggest Poco Launcher if you want something similar to the MIUI launcher but with an app drawer.

Mofi fabric case, it's the only case you'll ever need

bought the bold n1 recently. For 200 bucks and in the usa i think its pretty okay. screen is nice, no notch either. battery is kinda average at 3500 mah but it lasts me the whole day with the occasional session of gacha gaming too. no nfc is kind of a downer but im coming from a phone that didnt have it in the first place so whatever. ironically enough its kind of hard for me to hold because its so damn slippery and narrowish cause lol 19.5:9 display but all in all its an okay phone. for 250 though the phone is trash lmso so probably avoid it if it aint on sale. ah and SO far there are no apps that i can see that come preinstalled that blatantly CHINK my data so thats cool.

Attached: 1520412029506.jpg (1920x1614, 316K)

Sometimes it's good to have a backup in case your main breaks, but I generally only have one phone at a time unless I'm in the process of selling one.

Bruh, you should have got the Umidigi F1 Play

Attached: Screenshot_Bromite_20190712-210915.png (1143x2048, 1.28M)

it seems you cant or its very hard to unlock the bootloader on the v40.

thanks guys

yeah i guess i should've :(

Slightly related though, on my old phone i used to use foxfi to give myself unlimited tether but since upgrading the app doesnt seem to support it. Anyone know of another wifi tethering alternative that doesnt require root and also hides tether usage?

Is the Pixel 4 going to be the phone to go with once it hits or something else?

My phone is like 4 years old now and I broke my phone's screen like a year ago, so I think it's coming up on time to replace it.