Weirdest food you ever ate

So, Jow Forums, what is the strangest food (by your own metric) that you’ve ever eaten?

For me the weirdest was kangaroo meat but I know that’s not very unusual in the grand scheme of things ...

Attached: yummy.jpg (778x518, 663K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DD3mR7guKag
thenational.ae/world/asia/man-survives-epic-battle-with-8-metre-snake-before-villagers-feast-on-it-1.664130
youtube.com/user/VICEjpch/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=EtFeheK9jrQ&t=4m42s
youtube.com/watch?v=w-QoO3CO090
youtube.com/watch?v=5SzKG5GB4ME
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I ate the stuff in your pic. Not bad

Pretty tame i would say but i had grilled frog. Actually was pretty good. It tasted just like chicken and smelled like a fish. Can recommend

Yeah, I heard that frog is pretty good. I think what convinced me was a little VICE documentary on it. They had it prepared live in some restaurant in Tokyo and all testers were agreed that it was tasty.

By the way, the kangaroo I mentioned was okay but nothing mindblowing. Tasted fairly gamey.

lamb testicles i guess

i thought it was fries on the thumbnail

Attached: 917 - Y7tiQFK.jpg (200x193, 5K)

probably crocodile and roos jerky

In a thread about weird food?

Prepared in what way? I heard that deep fried bull testicles are delicious.

crayfish i guess

I honestly don’t know. I’m not very adventurous.

When I was a kid I went squirrel hunting with my cousin in north Florida and his mom made squirrel stew.

I used to work as a cook in this Cajun restaurant, and American restaurants are full of Mexican cooks. One guy had got a cow skull from his cousin and he put it in the sink, cleaned it off, and made stew with the cow brains.

Maybe shark fin? Wasn’t worth it though.

>squirrel stew
Was it any good?

By German standards probably kangaroo, but who knows, maybe there are people abroad who find raw minced pork perplexing or disgusting.

Attached: 17780-hamburger-mettbroetchen.jpg (600x600, 101K)

I enjoyed ikizukuri (生き作り) in Japan. And I'll do it again.

Not so weird in the german deep south, but horse sausage.

Seems so:
youtube.com/watch?v=DD3mR7guKag

One of those pussies wouldn’t even try it because “muh raw meat”.

Isn’t that actually tasty? I mean I like sushi so I get how it could be good but still ... unseasoned octopus?

I don't find raw pork disgusting at all, but I do know eating raw pork is not ideal for your health

I personally love having a small bite of this bad boy raw to check its quality before cooking it

Attached: suino3-1728x800_c.jpg (1728x800, 514K)

how much of a fucking weeb do you have to be to put the japanese characters behind the word like that helps anyone.

>eating raw pork is not ideal for your health
How so? To my knowledge it is only unhealthy if it is not prepared hygienically or not sold and eaten on the same day.

It is basically sashimi made with smaller aquarium fishies. No tuna, no salmon. I guess they do it with frogs as well. I prefer frog meat fried. It tastes like chicken.

>eating raw pork is not ideal for your health
this

Manta ray, I guess? Nothing that weird.

>To my knowledge it is only unhealthy if it is not prepared hygienically or not sold and eaten on the same day

and you're right, I probably should have worded it better. but unless you buy the meat by yourself or eat if from a good, trustworthy place you can't really know where is it from and its quality; also there's always a minimal chance for presence of parasites

that's why when I travel outside Italy I always avoid raw meat dishes

not weird here. They use it all the time in fish soup

Well, that is not a concern in Germany. Like, at all. Butcheries are controlled super strictly in this regard and that includes the meat you get in supermarkets. I have eaten hundreds of Mettbrötchen in my life and never once had a problem with them.

Probably horseshoe crab and turtle egg

Attached: C.jpg (1600x1200, 389K)

lmao you are positively ROTTEN with cancer by this point and you don't even know it.
I give you maybe 2 weeks.

Allegator

Shit meme, Bernd, shit meme. One based on bad studies that did not control for other dietary variables. There is no scientific consensus that a diet high in red meat is carcinogenic. On the opposite if anything. Sugar on the hand ...

I'm talking about the other study, specifically about Mett induced cancer.

>horseshoe crab
I hate that spooky shit, my dad used to hanged it shell on the wall in the kitchen.

Yeah, but that’s more because of the potatoes and okra and the stew base in general. Squirrel meat sucks.

Link it. The only risks related to Mett that I am aware of are germs that are harmless to normal people but can be dangerous to infants and people with compromised immune systems (like people with HIV or, and maybe you are confusing this, cancer).

The fuck are those spherules in there?

Well, guess I know not to bother with squirrels then.

No, Mett specifically makes you lousy with cancer all over your body, scientists have confirmed that, google it.

No, you link to it. I googled and found nothing of the sort. Sounds like absolute nonsense at face value, too.

>spooky
I find them pretty cute, grandpa used to bring back live ones and I'd let them wander a bit before eating them.
>The fuck are those spherules in there?
Roe
You want to see extreme stuff google Tomohon market, that's probably the most bizzare stuff in this region.

Attached: harvesting-crab-blood.jpg (620x470, 104K)

What? Are you crazy? What about all those cancer patients that admitted to having eaten large amounts of raw pork?
You just gonna ignore all that evidence that Mett makes you a walking cancer hive?

>harvesting-crab-blood.jpg
But ... why?

So you were just shitposting this whole time?

escamoles (ant larvae)

Attached: Escamoles.jpg (1024x768, 168K)

Balut, almost puked

*alligator

What if they hatch in your tummy?

>Tomohon market
What
The
Actual
Fuck

Probably century egg. Or thousand year egg, whatever name you prefer.
I actually thought balut tasted fine. What bothered me more was the texture of the egg white. Like fucking cartilage.

lysate used in pharmaceutical tests

stomach acid will most definitely prevent that

you fry them first
also this

From what I understand unlike our blood that has white cells to take care of infection their blue blood performs differently where when toxins enters the body the blood clots to prevent spread so it can be used to detect any bacterial toxins quickly without using an entire laboratory.
Worth a lot, something like 4k usd/litre.
Further east of Java island is true ooga booga land where people are swallowed whole by 8m snakes or crocodiles on weekly or monthly basis.
thenational.ae/world/asia/man-survives-epic-battle-with-8-metre-snake-before-villagers-feast-on-it-1.664130
Normal SEA folks doesn't grab a stick and sack to melee fight a 7.8 metre snake for some steak or meatball.

Yeah I like frog. There's really nothing whatsoever about the meat that the average person wouldn't like. It only SEEMS weird.

frog? I have never touched a frog In Tokyo there are many restaurants offering grotesque charges, but are you a favorite frog? I can not accept it
Are common Germany people aware of frogs as ingredients?

I too have seen frogs in nip restaurants on TV. Anthony Bourdain (rip in peace) ate it and I think Andrew Zimmern may have too.

alligator, eel, or saffron. i would eat the alligator again.

If you are asking if frog is a favorite dish of mine then the answer is no. Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to eat frog yet. And no, frogs are not usually eaten in Germany either.

I do not remember the name of the shop in Tokyo. It was in a video uploaded by VICE Japan: youtube.com/user/VICEjpch/videos

Not the other two though?

Found the video:
youtube.com/watch?v=EtFeheK9jrQ&t=4m42s

Saffron? The spice? Is that weird? Isn’t it just pricey? Fairly common in baking recipes.

In Southern Chile there's a similar dish but it's made with beef instead of pork.

youtube.com/watch?v=w-QoO3CO090

Pigeon soup. Tasted a lot like chicken as cliche as that is.

Rice with squash blossoms and ants.
Not bad I must say.

I guess alligator is kinda weird. Actually tastes pretty fucking good though, kinda like chicken but sweeter

Attached: gator roast.jpg (960x954, 145K)

I can’t be arsed to look it up but I recall there being a good biochemical reason why we relate so many foods to chicken.

Frog or snail probably.

it's more nutritious

I tried Smalahove (Sheep's head) once.
The eye was pretty good.

Attached: standard_smalahove.jpg (1200x900, 227K)

this

When I was a kid my cousin used to bring me these things fried when he came back from some northern states. They were pretty good, not gonna lie.

Attached: formiga-grande-tanajura-26200357.jpg (800x533, 39K)

sea cucumber
very chewy like rubber

I tried snake once that was prepared in a pepper like stew, didn't like it, tasted very bland and unpalatable. There was barely any meat on it, plus it was laden with lots of tiny bones which made it pretty much inedible

Attached: dktpdudtj61y.jpg (480x640, 47K)

Fried Chicken

Is it not a popular food item in India?

Monkey soup, it was delicious

I don't eat meat

Wow that's an intimidating presentation. I ate some rattlesnake when I was a kid and thought it was pretty good but it was just the meat without the skin or bones.

So under what set of circumstances did you break that rule and eat fried chicken? Any story there?

Attached: 1494611829520.jpg (369x349, 30K)

Nothing special.
I went to eat out and my friends told me it was more like cottage cheese than other type of meat.

By cottage cheese you mean paneer, right

i've had frog legs. didn't like them. the entire time i was eating them, all i could about was how it probably ate flies.

i've also eaten baby octopus, which was tasty

We eat pork too. And it's popular in central chile. For fucks sake. Just because is not popular in santiago or concepcion doesnt mean it's something from the south.

t. Huaso

I've been eating some weird shit on a trip to around China. Toad, snails (not escargot), cow tongue, gizzard, intestines, pigeon, and the livers and kidneys of various unknown animals.

>kangaroo meat
That's actually nothing too special, we were served it sometimes at school.

For my part, it was eating chapulines while I was in Mexico. It's grilled seasoned grasshoppers.

UMA
youtube.com/watch?v=5SzKG5GB4ME

Skunk, lean and gamy, like rabbit (no it didnt smell), so so, probably would have been better as sausage or jerkey

Dolphin, surprisingly similar to beef, pretty damn good, wish it wasnt illegal (thanks small japanese run diner in hawaii!)

Python and rattlesnake, python was good, rattlesnake had too much sauce tho, couldnt taste it (kinda chewy though)
Ive had turtle in a soup, but couldnt taste it over the onions/garlic in the soup
tried racoon once as a kid, too young then to remember what it tasted like though

Ive also had kangaroo, alligator, ostridge, and buffalo(bison) jerkeys, didnt think those were uncommon though (i can get it at the local gas station and i live in michigan)

eaten hundreds of lbs of deer, elk, and moose for anyone in europe who thinks eating an animal you kill is odd
black bear is good too

and dont most people's chinese buffets have baby octopus and squid legs? Ive also had head cheese (cow brain), and it tasted awful

and chocolate covered crikets and grasshoppers, you cant even taste the bugs

I've never had monkeys though, thats fucking savage
frogs either now that I think of it

Id love to try some of that japanese cobra liquor sometime in my life (the liquor bottles with a cobra in the bottle, not the cheap as fuck cobra brand malt liquor)

Attached: jerky-dynasty-staff-variety-pack_1024x1024[1].jpg (604x400, 79K)

bamp