/lang/

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Jow Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribute)

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Attached: Protect-me-from-fear-and-suffering.png (699x484, 693K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7nz--LpYC30
dfwgaelicleague.com/p/irish-on-your-own.html
youtube.com/watch?v=KQ4DOocbL3A
vocaroo.com/i/s1k6eqmgVt50
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I started learning Russian so I could better communicate with my now ex gf but now I have reduced motivation to learn even though I have a bit of an obsession with the place now. I was using duolingo and pushkin online. What are some advice on keeping motivation up?

Just wondering, how long did it take to read Cyrillic at a reasonably quick pace? Also this happens with everyone, force yourself to practice for at least 5 minutes a day, it doesn't sound like a lot but it works, just trust me on that.

If i remember correctly, it was rather quick for most of it but it has been a while

Ik ben nog aan het leren. Ik weet niet hoe Nederlands werkt, maar ik denk dat sommige vragen hebben geen antwoord.

tá mise ag foghlaim Gaeilge, an teanga is fearr ar domhan, Cé go raibh cúpla focal agam ón scoil bhí mo chuid Ghaeilge úfásach ansin thosaigh mé á foghlaim aríst anuraidh agus chuir mé alán feabhais uirthi.

má tá tusa ag iarraidh Gaeilge a fhoghlaim chomh maith, mholfainn an cúrsa 'Now You're Talking'' atá soar in aice ar youtube youtube.com/watch?v=7nz--LpYC30
tá na ceisteanna ar fail anseo dfwgaelicleague.com/p/irish-on-your-own.html

tar éis sin mholfainn an cúrsa 'Learning Irish' le Mícheál Ó Seadhail. sin an cúrsa atá mise a dheanamh anois.

go n-éirí an bóthar leat agus ná dean dearmad, tús maith leath na hoibre

Attached: 3557557887_ab4fc4f700_original.jpg (456x500, 94K)

As I've said before, I think you need to learn rules and practice exercises with them. To me it seems you're trying to type way beyond your skill level which is only going to hurt you. Keep it simple or at least run sentences through Google translate, as much shit as it gets, it's usually right when it comes to grammar

Try some music.

youtube.com/watch?v=KQ4DOocbL3A

This song has a very beautiful lyrics. And it's in Russian, but not from Russia.

Hm, I don't really mind difficult grammar but for some reason Cyrillic just keeps bouncing between fun and tedious/annoying to me, the latter probably due to typing it at 2wpm

Ran what I wanted to say through Google translate and it returned more or less the same thing, but it has a habit of being shit so I wouldn't be surprised if it changed its mind.

learning the positions of the letters on the keyboard can be a bit annoying, but you can get stickers that can aid that

I have been listening to lots of hardbass and ukrainian black metal lately. and some russian folk metal.

Attached: sweatingkvltist.png (300x300, 36K)

Russian with a few hours to spare here
Ask me anything

watch stopxam videos, if you like his kind of videos, life of boris has russian subtitles on all videos as well.

>hardbass
Immersing yourself in gopnik culture?

i just think it is fun to listen to

if i was immersing myself in gopnik culture i would have bought my tracksuit

I get you. I listen to random Dutch songs every now and then even though I can't understand them to save my life, just to get a feel for what sung Dutch sounds like.

>Ik ben nog aan het leren. Ik weet niet hoe Nederlands werkt
Excelent.
>maar ik denk dat sommige vragen hebben geen antwoord
Maar ik denk dat sommige vragen geen antwoord hebben? - But I think that some questions do not have an answer?
What are you trying to convey? friend.

I was going to ramble some more but I don't want to give you bad advice just in case something differs from German, but do yourself a favor and look up sentence structure rules, for example in your Dutch translation "hebben" should be at the end

That's what I was trying to say. Dutch feels like a bunch of questions I'm still too dumb to answer because it's my 5th day.

Are there any Welsh speakers here? I am falling in love with Welsh desu.

I am that guy who is learning korean. Looking back at how I found my bearings. I started just looking at/ changing the smallest sentences(with just a single clause). To be, to have, to go... slowly working up to multiple clauses.

For your 5th day, I'm suprised by the legibility of your single clause sentences. Maybe there is some partial truth to the meme that dutch is easy for english speakers.

I knew that "hebben" should be at the end, but for some reason my brain can't fathom that, and it seems really awkward, so I forget.

How exactly do accents above vowels work? Like if I were to write пepó (had to use a Latin O since my Russian phone keyboard wouldn't give me one)

If it's a lengthy explanation feel free to just leave a link or something, I'm going bed soon Anquan

it indicates the stressed letter afaik, and is only really used for learning the language, not in day to day writing

I know I'm repeating myself but just practice over and over, thinking in your target language as much as possible (with correct grammar) helps too, I did this with German and sentence structure comes automatically

Anyway*
I figured it was that but some of pronunciations I heard conflicted with it a bit. Probably why I couldn't access it on the Cyrillic layout

I can comply with this sentiment. Never thought it would for me too when I was just starting. It does require drilling.

Any German speakers here?
In French, most nouns ending in e will be feminine, is there a similar way to tell what the grammatical gender of a noun is in German, or would I have to learn each word's grammatical gender individually?

It might be true. I think it's referring to native English speakers though. I tend not to think things over properly, as advised me, so I screw up simple things that I really shouldn't be getting wrong.

I know this feeling. Failing the first conjugating rule you knew. You need to at some point though. Leaving it unattended will only worsen the problem.

Is there something like djt.neocities for chinese and french?

any Irish speakers?

Attached: Éire-stampa-2d-600x400.jpg (600x400, 96K)

There are certain endings that take a certain gender as a rule of thumb.

e.g. -chen is always neuter, and -heit, -keit, and -ung is always feminine, and -ismus is always masculine.

But it's not worth learning it like that.

Yeah , I'm gonna be drilling Dutch whenever I get the chance until I figure things out. I hope I won't get intimidated and quit later down the line.

I wish I knew why/ when we put the verb at the end like that so I could attempt to explain it. It's truly what sets us apart from the english.

>I wish I knew why/ when we put the verb at the end like that
>mfw not even the Dutch know how their language works
I'm fucked then. I'll just put it wherever I think it sounds good and hope for the best.

There is 100% a rule for this. My grasp of dutch grammar beyond the imprinted feeling I have is just too poor.

>>mfw not even the Dutch know how their language works
It just sounds right :^)

Limba română este grea

>trying to type in a different language
>autocorrect doesn't realise it

Attached: image.jpg (208x250, 17K)

How would I say should in Irish, as in " you should do it tommorow"? I haven't been able to find that out

Slavic languages are probably the best when it comes to determining what gender a specific word is.

Nimic nu e greu daca te straduiesti, user! Need help with anything?

Attached: Przechwytywanie.png (390x402, 107K)

I know that conjunctions like omdat, totdat and zodat place the verb at the end, but I'm a bit confused beyond that.

And this is why I never learned German properly.

Why? Is this an incorrect graph?

Not sure how you would get that from my post. It's the number of different endings for each gender. And of course, even if you know what gender a word is, then the article also changes depending on the declension, making it a thousand times harder.

Learning greek. Man duolingo sucks but it gets the job done :(

So did I type that correctly? Shouldn't it be greu, not grea?

Have you tried a textbook along with Duo? Also, why Greek out of all things?

This makes German look overly complicated

Probably regret losing those noun cases and nueter gender Italy. Shouldn't have made Latin more retarded like you did.

"Limba romana" - The Romanian language (feminine). "Grea" is the feminine form of "Greu". "Nimic" (" Nothing", and yes, we use double negatives - Nimic nu este) uses the masculine form. You are correct.

Do you know about all the tenses?
ott - ovt - vtt - vvt - ottt - vttt - ovtt - vvtt?
Look at the position of the verb and what you are trying to convey.

onvoltooid tegenwoordige tijd (ott): ik werk, ik lees

>Equivalent: I work, I read

onvoltooid verleden tijd (ovt): ik werkte, ik las

>Equivalent: I worked, I read

voltooid tegenwoordige tijd (vtt): ik heb gewerkt, ik heb gelezen

>Equivalent: I have worked, I have read

voltooid verleden tijd (vvt): ik had gewerkt, ik had gelezen

>Equivalent: I had worked, I had read.

onvoltooid tegenwoordige toekomende tijd (ottt): ik zal werken, ik zal lezen

>Equivalent: I will work, I will read

voltooid tegenwoordige toekomende tijd (vttt): ik zal gewerkt hebben, ik zal gelezen hebben

> Equivalent: I will have worked, I will have read

onvoltooid verleden toekomende tijd (ovtt): ik zou werken, ik zou lezen

>Equivalent: I would work, I would read

voltooid verleden toekomende tijd (vvtt): ik zou gewerkt hebben, ik zou gelezen hebben

>Equivalent: I would have worked, I would have read

I'd be suprised if your grammar book does not dedicate pages to these.
Notiche where and when had/heb(ben) is used with the verb.

ah I see. Mulțumesc

Romanian doesn't have cases as far as I know, right Romanian anons?

>inb4 next lesson I get gangraped by cases

Romanian has 5 cases lad

N-nani? Explain

>doesn't explain how

>Nominative
Who / what?
Baiatul merge. (The boy is walking / going) - Baiatul is the subject
>Accusative
Who / what again but for direct objects
Fata il vede pe baiat (The girl sees the boy) - baiat is the direct object. Direct objects tend not to be accompanied by "pe" (Imi place cititul - I like reading), but I gave you an exception for easier understanding.
>Genitive
Whose?
Casa baiatului e rosie (The boy's house is red).
Casa rosie este A baiatului (The red house is the boy's)
>Genitive
Who? (As in " Who likes this?" or "Whoever likes this is weird" )
Baiatului ii place inghetata. (The boy likes ice cream)
>Vocative
Orders / commands
Baiatule, vino! (Boy, come!)

In most cases, a noun is female if it ends with a, male if it doesn't have a suffix and neutral if it ends with e or o. There are exceptions but in most cases that's how it is. Then there are some Slovene dialects that make it easier and eliminate the neutral gender altogether so all those nouns are male.

Fuck I screwed up 4th case is Dative. Sorry.

the second verb in a dutch sentence always goes at the end
i have not learned french = ik heb frans niet geleerd

ive been doing dutch for almost a year now, not as much as i used to but im still mildly good at it

So it's like German where you decline only the article (ul)? And also are cases used with prepositions?

>Accusative
Pe, cu, la, pentru
>Dative
Gratie, multumita, datorita (Thanks to), contra, impotriva (against) - there is no difference between the words except for their origin - contrar (contrary to), aidoma, asemenea (like, just like)

Note that some prepositions require the feminine form regardless of the speaker's gender. "Impotriva" is one such preposition
>Impotriva / contra mea
Against me

Yes, just the article changes. Romanian is weird and irregular as fuck so feel free to ask for further info because I can't be bothered to include it all.

I could never learn a language that I only learned because of a girl who dumped me.

That reminds me of my ex
>You can't learn Dutch, because it's like, so hard and weird xD
I'm not learning it to spite her or anything but I find it funny that I'm doing it.

どうして日本語はそんなに難しいことだよ?いまのところ知ってることが足りなくならない訳にはいかない。どうやって前より難しくなりそうだ。やっと「が」は「の」に変わり方がわかってすぐに新たな質問がありになった。いつか徒労になると思う。さあ、 実は語彙知りがいがあるとの希望がある。 日本語は面白いほどに難しいのだけど、もう何も知らないのように思う。それでも、日本語が大好き。

Erasmus gf?

No, just a dumb thot who couldn't learn a language to save her life

is Anki the best thing for vocab?

yea

I fell asleep so I'm a little late

Easy
>A bus pulls up. (Alternatively, "A bus arrives.")
>Hello. My name's Forrest Gump.
>You want a chocolate?
>Those must be comfortable shoes.
>My feet hurt.

Medium
>Forrest looks right as the sound of an arriving bus is heard.
>He opens a box of chocolates and holds it out for the nurse.
>Forrest eats a chocolate as he looks down at the nurse's shoes.
>[I]f I think about it real hard[,] I could remember my first pair of shoes. (Alternatively, "[I]f I think intensely enough[,] I could remember my first pair of shoes.")
>A little boy closes his eyes tightly. It is young Forrest as he sits in a doctor's office.

Hard
>I could eat about a million and a half of these. (Find a similar phrase that makes more sense in your target language if this sentence can't be translated directly.)
>My momma always said, "Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
>All right, Forrest, you can open your eyes now. Let's take a little walk around.
>Forrest's mother, Mrs. Gump, watches him as he clanks around the room awkwardly.
>His legs are strong, Mrs. Gump. As strong as I've ever seen. But his back is as crooked as a politician.

Something harder than steel for the shits and giggles (different source)
>That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.

I challenge you to translate meaning instead of a word for word translation. Have fun.

>A bus arrives
Een bus arriveert (?)
>Hello. My name is Forrest Gump
Hallo. Mijn naam is Forrest Gump
>You want a chocolate?
Wil je een chocolade?
>Those must be comfortable shoes
Die moeten behaaglijke (?) schoenen zijn
>My feet hurt
Mijn voeten doen pijn

I can translate bits and pieces from the others but not the full thing.

easy:
>보스는 도착합니다.
>안녕하세요. 제가 포레스트 검프이라합니다. /안녕하세요. 포레스트 검프가 제 이름이예요.
>초콜릿 조각이 먹고 싶습니까?
>이 신발 안락하게 일가 보여요.
>제 발이 아파네! ;-;

medium:

>포레스트는 버스가 도착하는 소리를 들어 동시에 봤다
>그는 초콜릿 한 상자를 열어 간호사에게 손에 내밀하고 있는다.
>그는 아래쪽으로 간호사의 신발에 보는 체 포레스트는 초콜릿을 먹었다. / 포레스트는 초콜릿을 먹으면서 아래쪽으로 간호사의 신발에 봤다.

These are way harder than the ones from portugalAnon. I like these more though.

> Een bus arriveert (?)
Seems good to me.
> Hallo. Mijn naam is Forrest Gump
Correct
> Wil je een chocolade?
Wil je chocolade? - Wil je een stuk chocolade?
Sounds more natural. The english equivalent of this problem: "do you want a rice" --> "do you want a grain of rice" or "do you want rice"
>Die moeten behaaglijke (?) schoenen zijn
Correct if the shoes are far away and you're pointing at them. It's plural so die/deze is correct. Behaagelijke is also correct. An irregular to the rule that adjectives should be written as short of possible.
> Mijn voeten doen pijn
Correct!

>보스는
버스는*

tfw can only do one of the easy challenges
>Hola. Mi llamo es Forrest Gump.

So is "een stuk chocolade" like "a piece of chocolate"?
>An irregular to the rule that adjectives should be written as short of possible.
I didn't know that's a thing. Also, I'm sad because of how unnatural some Dutch words look to me. I had to triple check them because I write like a dyslexic.

what is the lady saying

vocaroo.com/i/s1k6eqmgVt50

> Ich fahre nach Rosen???? ins Kino. Was weiss ich? Vielleicht gehen wir nach dem Essen. Tschüß.

It's a rule which changes a noun. Die grootte (that big [one]) into the adjective het grote ding (this big thing). You remove the double vowel (aa, oo, uu), double tt, dd.
Unless it changes the pronunciation. Which would occur in behaagelijke -> behagelijke
This is learned through exposure mostly and only important for your written dutch.

I can't speak german very well but it sounds like zuhause

Will people make fun of me if I forget?

>I wish I knew why/ when we put the verb at the end like that so I could attempt to explain it. It's truly what sets us apart from the english.

It's the same in german, second verb in inifinitive always comes at very end
English is just the mutt of germanic and romance languages

Too dumb to do it in Japanese, so I'll just do it in Romanian so that I can lie to myself that I am great.

Easy

>Un autobuz sosește.
>Hei! Io-s Forrest Gump.
>Vrei niște cioco?
>Ăia tre' să fie ceva papuci comozi.
>Mă dor ghioambele.

Medium

>Forrest se uită fix când sunetul unui autobuz dă să se audă.
>Deschide o cutie cu cioco și i-o întinde asistentei.
>Forrest înfulecă o cioco și-și ațintește privirea în jos la papucii asistentei.
>Dacă îmi storc creierii bugăt, poate că mi-aș aduce aminte de prima mea pereche de opinci.

>Un prunc își ferecă ochii. E Forrest mititel cu mâna în buzunarul doctorului.

Hard

>Aș putea hali tone de chestii d-astea ni.
>Mami își bătea mereu gura cu "Viața zici că-i o cutie cu cioco. Până ce-o deschizi te dai peste capde bunăciunea ce-i; după vezi că-i doar rahat".
>Mno bine Forrest, deschide-ți ochii. Hai să ne plimbăm.
>Mama lu' Forrest, doamna Codru, se uită după el în timp ce micuțul se bezmeticește prin cameră ca un ciudat.
>Picioarele i-s de fier, doamnă Codru. N-am văzut mai ranforsate. Da' spatele I se îndoaie ca speranța mea în umanitate.

>Ziua aceea mi s-a gravat în memorie, căci schimbări au fost să se abată asupra-mi. Dar situația rămâne aceeași fără a ține seamă de viața implicată. Închipuie-ți cum dacă și cea mai insignifiantă zi n-ar mai fi fost, ce diferite albii ar trasa susurul vieții. O clipă fă sincopă tu, cititorule, și gândește-te la înlănțuirea lungă de fier și aur, de spini și roze, ce nu te-ar fi încorsetat în veci dacă nu era conceperea primei vergele în întâia zi.

Irl, no chance, There is no audible difference between grote en grootte for example. On the /nederdraad/? Yes. You'll get grug wojak (you)s.

What is the purpose of this post?
The only general I've unironically posted in is /fr/ when I was practising my French, and they were nice, but /nederdraad/ seems really shit from the outside. Am I wrong?

You're not wrong kek.

Good, I'll avoid it. Also what are Dutch girls like? How hard would it be to get a Dutchfu from a place like interpals?

Thats a though call to make. I could give a jab at generalising the women I know personally. But the kind of lowlander you'd find on that service is also a mystery to me. The short answer on the first would be western but to call them unfemine is also not a perfect label. I have met pleasant women though. I suppose this applies to all countries though.

what, that doesn't make sense. She's driving home to go to the cinema?

Also
>So is "een stuk chocolade" like "a piece of chocolate"?
correct

>The short answer on the first would be western
The bad kind of western? Like, spoiled feminist brats? Or just your average woman?

>morning
rytaj
>this morning
ryte
>east
rytai
>tomorrow
rytoje

>evening
vakaras
>this evening
vakare
>yesterday
vakar
>west
vakarai

what a fun language.

[] = nghĩa là cần google

>Easy
>A bus pulls up. (Alternatively, "A bus arrives.")
Một xe buýt tới.

>Hello. My name's Forrest Gump.
Chào chị. Em tên (là) Forrest Gump.

>You want a chocolate?
Chị muốn một miến [sô cô la]?

>Those must be comfortable shoes.
Đó phải là giày [thoải mái].

>My feet hurt.
Chân em đâu.

>Medium
>Forrest looks right as the sound of an arriving bus is heard.
Forrest nhìn ở bên phỉa như âm thanh của xe buýt tới.

>He opens a box of chocolates and holds it out for the nurse.
Anh ấy mở một họp sô cô la ra và cho y tá có thể ăn.

>Forrest eats a chocolate as he looks down at the nurse's shoes.
Forrest ăn mọt cái sô cô la và nhìn xuống giày của y tá.

>[I]f I think about it real hard[,] I could remember my first pair of shoes. (Alternatively, "[I]f I think intensely enough[,] I could remember my first pair of shoes.")
Nếu là em mạnh (suy) nghĩ, em có thể [nhớ] (lại) giày [đầu tiên] của em.

>A little boy closes his eyes tightly. It is young Forrest as he sits in a doctor's office.
Một chú bé [nhắm] mắt [chặt]. Đó là chú bé Forrest như chú nòi ở trong một phòng bác sĩ.

I feel bad for posting a hard challenge... Lemme post an easier one for you guys (more practice for everyone anyway):
[] = I edited it to make it grammatically make sense.

Easy
>I don't see anything.
>It's on the left.
>Show them the cat!
>Wake up!

Medium
>I got something stuck in my teeth.
>Can you help me out here? Please? (Alternatively, "Can you please help me out here?")
>[D]on't talk with your mouth full.
>Look at that, it's snowing.

Hard
>Alex! Do not interrupt me when I'm daydreaming!
>Gather around people[.] [The] big show [is] about to start!
>Just smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave.
>I want you to look cute and cuddly, private.

Attached: T9seJ59.png (378x508, 95K)

I suppose I had "modern" inmind.
> spoiled feminist brats
I attend university and it is supringly mature considering the additudes held in the United States. But I can't say I do not see them at all. But it's not catching on in my view.

Táim anseo mo dheartháir

I see. That's actually good to hear.
>I don't see anything.
Ik zie niets.
>Show them the cat!
Toon de kat naar ze! (I saw something about "Latten zien". Is what I wrote wrong?)
>Wake up!
Wakker worden!

Medium
>I got something stuck in my teeth.
>Ik heb iets vaast in mijn taden (?)
>Can you help me out here? Please?
(Alternatively, "Can you please help me out here?")
>Kunnen jullie me helpen hier alsjeblieft? (?)