/ESL/ - English teaching general

Any English teachers on Jow Forums?

Attached: 1531717152102.webm (1280x720, 2.84M)

Other urls found in this thread:

hongkongtesol.com/certtesol
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Monday morning

Shouldn't you be teaching your class, Charles?

I teach in the evening.

I want to be a korean teacher in europe :(

Follow your dreams

There's a general every now and then on /trv/

Tiananmen Square 1989

how much money do you earn?
is this only for young people or are there english teachers of all ages?
what are the disadvantages if you aren't a native speaker but visibly European?

I'm pretty sure they allow """"German teachers"""" in China too

y not in japan? y china?

I'd rather be an Spanish teacher than an English one.

About $40 an hour with an apartment provided free. If you aren't native the salary is a bit lower.

>non native

white though?
Lower salary, seen as easily replaceable (though not really but they'll often treat you like shit), have to potentially lie to parents/students, depending on what country you want to teach you'll have to stay there illegally..

>an Spanish

Yeah, hopefully it stays that way.

Attached: 1522481110690.gif (218x228, 929K)

Salary is highest in China

Indeed.

>$40 an hour
ao that's about 80k USD a year at 8 hours a day?

japs are better people though.
or..
what do you think?

>Japs are better
Yeah that's why english teachers Come and leave every weeks

you can be a korean teacher and personal chef in aus if you accept living in my apartment and having a weekly allowance for pay

It would be if I was working that many hours. But you don't work that many just 20 a week

No way that's 3.2k/month with appartment ? That's insane

that's still a really good salary, especially in China where I suppose cost of living is lower

do you also work when you are not paid? (like preparing lessons)

>do you also work when you are not paid? (like preparing lessons)

depends on school/gig.
"preparing lessons" - I assume you mean lesson plans. That's a requirement in some places, others will just have you walk students over their own premade material.

Preparing lessons isn't paid. But I just use their text books

No, I'm a math/statistics teacher though, if anyone wants help with that.

You're basically subjecting yourself to be treated as a second class citizen in order to score some average gook pussy
Pathetic

Attached: 1444313362367.jpg (1800x1205, 420K)

And live an extremely easy existence. Seriously it barely feels like work. Sometimes I'm paid to teach kids chess.

idk Japs>Chinese all the way.
but ive only worked with them here.
hard to know how they are in their natural habitat.

Me

lol, you have no idea.
Japs don't even see other Japs who spend too much time overseas as "pure nipponese".

Where are you teaching?

Yes, that would be me.

>Japs don't even see other Japs who spend too much time overseas as "pure nipponese"
doesn't sound too pleasant but if i imagine how the Chinese are, i'd think it's worse.

English mainly. Sometimes chess. Sometimes I teach western culture to people who want to study or travel to the west.

All of the Flips I met in Japan were miserable...
Actually, no, 1 of them was fairly happy in Japan, but that's one out of 12 people so... I don't know.

In my experience Japs don't view anyone favorably DESU, not even Taiwanese people. It's very hard to earn their trust, but once you do, you have a friend for a lifetime.

Read again m8
>where

Not what.
It's fine if you don't want to say it.

Shanghai

Cool. How long have you been there?
Have you been to HK?

there's one i know that seems okay atm.

>It's very hard to earn their trust, but once you do, you have a friend for a lifetime.
I just want to teach them English lol
keep things strictly professional

Just online esl. I used to be, but now retired.

>It's very hard to earn their trust
Listen to this guy.

>I just want to teach them English lol

So... do you want to live in Japan?
How are you going to deal with everyday life's matters if you don't speak Japanese? Relying on English isn't a viable option, specially when you need to go to a bank or the hospital.

And you'll definitely want to make some friends. Isolation is real my dude. This is coming from a 8-year-NEET veteran.

Japanese people are amazing.
>be talking to girl
>everything's okay
>asks me where I'm from
>tell her
>"politely" make an excuse and never reply to me again

kek. They're just too funny.

you flips are nice people.

Just be a korean bvll, koreans are only acceptable gaijins in japan. Zainichi proves it.

Attached: xwFIJvHmKz7225o2DmsRl.jpg (667x376, 50K)

Do you really need a bachelors to teach legally?

No my dude, you don't know how much shit about Koreans I heard from Japanese people. They're always trash-talking Koreans and Chinks. In fact I think they hate you more than us Brazilians.

Are you a native speaker of English?
I think you don't need a bachelors degree in Thailand and Vietnam, it's definitely required in Japan, S. Korea and Taiwan.

TEFL is also a good idea.

About a year

I talked to someone who taught in SK and they said that CELTA is the most useful cert. What's the difference between TEFL and TOEFL?

mein brother!

>Isolation is real my dude.
i live in flipland and i never talked to my coworkers. Isolation is great.
not so great though because people become uncomfortable around me ;_;

do you know any chinese

CELTA is a certificate issued by Cambridge University. I'd say it's as "prestigious" as Trinity CertTesol (basically the same thing, only this cert is issued by Trinity College of London).

TEFL means Teaching English as a Foreign Language, TOEFL is a mistake on your part (I believe you meant TESOL). TOEFL means Test of English as a Foreign Language and it is a standardized test to measure the English language ability of non-native speakers wishing to enroll in English-speaking universities

TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and encompasses what is called TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) and TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language).

They're basically all of the same nowadays - the difference is that, as said above, CELTA/Trinity are seen as more prestigious and should actually prepare you properly for the job (you'll have to prepare lesson plans and you'll have actual teaching experience during the course).

You can do a CELTA in 1 month full-time.
I suggest Stafford House if you're actually considering this (google it, it's in London but I believe they provide courses in Boston, US too)

Isolation in your country is much different than isolation in a foreign land, specially when said foreign land is 日本。

So you can't get the CELTA online? You actually have to take a physical class? Is it really much better than the TEFL? I'm mostly concerned about what will help me get employed, rather than what will prepare me most for the job, since most of it seems fairly obvious.

Attached: B0Fj-hZIMAAdCkt.png (506x662, 356K)

>most of it seems fairly obvious.

Nah man you really have no idea... It's great to actually feel prepared with the knowledge that you with a CELTA, but I understand not everyone can spend the time/money to do it.
Anyway, if you're only looking for a job then TEFL will suffice, really. You don't "need" the CELTA.

I imagine you can get an online TEFL certificate for something like 500 bucks, it has been a long time since I last looked into it. Anyway, as long as you're white you'll be fine. Not impossible if you're black, just a lil bit more difficult.

true
I really want to try it though.
One step ahead coz i'm basically hiki.
all this talk of certification makes me sad because i only rely on my fake american accent and not so dark skin.

I'm white as fuck. But I'm curious what the employment differences are between CELTA certs and TEFL certs. How much more comfortable is it gonna be with a CELTA?

meh, I don't know how hard it is for flips to find a job teaching English there but it was fairly easy for me... and I did it legally. Then again I do look white (sorry, I hate to say things like this but it does matter there).

I do have a CELTA and a Bachelor's Degree in Law though - so that's a lot of points in my favour.

>How much more comfortable is it gonna be with a CELTA?

It kind of depends on the course provider - with a decent course provider you're likely to (sometimes) find a job even before you finish your Certificate, specially if you're already in the country you intend to teach in.

hongkongtesol.com/certtesol

The reason why I say this is because while Celta is assessed by Cambridge, there's still enormous difference in quality among CELTA course providers.

>Bachelor's Degree in Law
that's a pretty fancy degree, why'd you switched to English?
i think lots of business men love you because they make you explain stuff (charge extra for that)

>Then again I do look white (sorry, I hate to say things like this but it does matter there).
very much aware of this white bois get paid triple here.

>that's a pretty fancy degree, why'd you switched to English?

I hate being a Lawyer, it's far too stressful. Besides, teaching English can be pretty fun - and as you figured out - I often charge more for having "specialized language knowledge" - in this case, of Law/legal terminology.

Salaryman loved me, you have no idea how much. Being honest though, most of the time they don't really want to learn (from my experience) they just want to chat with a foreigner and let off some steam. I can't wait to go back.

what country do you want to teach in?

我说一点中文,口语不太好,但是读写能力比较强,我常问人加一下我的微信。如果他们给我发微信我就认识汉字

are you chinese from america?

あぁ?!!クソチンック人何してるの。
中国語を話しません。

I don't really care, I just want to live in a different culture and a place with low cost of living.

No I'm white

>I don't really care

Well, you should, because your experience will vary greatly from country to country.

Don't go to S. Korea for example if you're not serious about teaching. If only care about cheap/low cost of living than Thailand is King but it's saturated atm. Vietnam is a decent choice too.

Personally, if I could, I'd teach in Taiwan. It's the "best compromise" IMO - decent salaries, extremely friendly people, you'll have to work hard but not THAT hard and level of autism is not the same as it is in Japan.

I'd avoid Japan if you're not serious about it too... but I do know that there are many shitty teachers in Japan so...

Yeah Vietnam or Taiwan would sound nice, but I don't have a university degree so I guess Taiwan is out of the question.

What jobs can whites do in the Philippines?

I thought PH already had their own English teachers

>they just want to chat with a foreigner and let off some steam
this
but it's also very sad when you hear them complain about being tired and having to learn English because they're required.

>I thought PH already had their own English teachers
yep we do but japs/koreans/chinese come here to hire white bois and pay them less as compared to when white bois teach in their countries.

Don't listen to this moron. He doesn't teach. He's some 'digital nomad' making peanuts in a tier 2 city. They only pay top dollar for experienced (3-5+ years), native English speaking teachers. They're not gonna pay $40 an hour to some europoor with no experience.

Plus chinks are hammering down now on Eurpoors, Slavs, and others teaching illegally. You need to get a degree authenticated by the government in your home country in order to get a work visa, or you simply won't be hired for anything decent except shitty afterschool English centers that pay peanuts and are miserable sweatshop jobs, dancing and singing for obnoxious kids. They're also getting rid of English education for kindergarten ages, etc.

The ESL industry in China is on its way out. President Xi Jingping is going full Mao Jr. And the country is about to implode.

>And the country is about to implode.
i pray every day

How would you find a job like that? How much do they pay? Is it enough to live off of or mediocre

yes everyone listen to this China expert with the US flag

Guess im english teacher or not

Attached: fljxz.com15.jpg (1280x1707, 252K)

>"Japanese are racis!bad people!"
>being racist against asians

typical Brazilian monkey

With your level of English you could be one of the many Russian English teachers.

Wrong*!
Im pure 100% japanese !

Xi is deporting all English teachers and chinese girls hate white guys and won't put out. DO NOT COME HERE.

>Is it enough to live off of or mediocre
more than enough if you live here. if you live in the US with that salary.. maybe not.
idk how white bois figure out they are wanted here.

you can stop now Zhang, i'm still going to China

?
Your reading comprehension is atrocious and you're also a liar. Point out to everyone here where it is exactly that I said Japanese people are bad. I never said that - in fact, I'm quite fond of Japanese people - the word I used was "amazing". I merely stated a fact- that you DO in fact treat people differently based on Nationality, denying this is simply ridiculous.

Also - I referred to him as a "chink" in a friendly manner, just as I refer to americans as burgers and so on - this is often done on Jow Forums and if you don't know this you should lurk more you fucking faggot.

Kek. I already know you're that Brit in Hangzhou. You don't even teach. You're talking out of your ass.

And actually, yeah, he seemingly IS gradually trying to get rid of the ESL industry and illegal English teaching scum. Why else would he introduce different classes for work visas, and why would he just agree to let in 300,000 Filipinos into the country to teach English? The latest news is that they're also completely getting rid of English education in all public kindergartens across the country starting in 2019.

You're also a fucking moron if you think they'll just pay any random FOB Europoor $40 an hour with no experience and a bad accent.

>The latest news is that they're also completely getting rid of English education in all public kindergartens across the country starting in 2019.

This is a bad thing though...

>why would he just agree to let in 300,000 Filipinos into the country to teach English?
praying for this.
pls let us in and ruin the country :3
that'll be delicious.
or all 300,000 will be held hostage so we surrender the disputed territories (that we won.)

The China experts have spoken, I'm already being deported.

Attached: 8f4.jpg (1387x702, 71K)

Tiananmen Square protests of 1989
Tiananmen Square Massacre
六四事件
六四天安門事件
六四事件
六四天安門事件
六四事件
六四天安門事件

autism

>a "chink" in a friendly manner

since when?

And it's teaching online, or teaching in person in PH? Where would I find these jobs to apply for them? Or where do I find jobs for foreigners in general in Manila?

I once tried craigslist and it was pretty shitty.

I call my black friends nigger all of the time, they call me tiny dick, my chinese friends call me monkey, even the Salaryman I taught would often call me different "names" too.

It's playful banter for people who aren't thin skinned pussies. Also, if you actually knew Chinese people you'd know that they're the worst trash talkers out there, they point out every "flaw" you have and are very direct and vocal about it, so calling a chinaman a "chink" isn't all that bad in my eyes.

t. have several actual chink friends from Harbin.

both, you can teach online or in an academy.
if you're white, you'll always get paid more.
CL isn't very popular here.
as i am not really a foreigner, idk how they sniff out jobs here. I suppose you can just check local job posting sites.
there are companies that specify they're looking for white bois.
manila rate is always higher, you can teach in other cities but they probably pay less.

>kqts will never look at me like that

Attached: f80303f.jpg (750x717, 68K)

I unironically can teach English better than I'd teach Spanish.

Attached: Drake, dónde está la puerta.jpg (990x659, 112K)