Australia and Canada are two countries that are vaguely similar

>Australia and Canada are two countries that are vaguely similar
>Both are roughly the same population, and former British colonies
>Very little direct contact with each other
>Almost no trade exists between the two
>Rare as fuck to meet Australians in Canada, even tourists, while very common to meet all sorts of tourists from random small countries
>They are never mentioned in our foreign policy, news, or anything
>No Australian media is ever shown here, never seen an australian tv show or movie

Explain. By all logic we should be both closer countries than to either Britain or the US. Both countries have significant immigrant populations from literally everywhere. Both countries are basically liberal, social democracies where progressivism is mainstream. Both countries love thumbing their noses at Americans and feel their country and way of life is superior to the world.

Most people know New Zealand exists but will know absolutely nothing about them except Lord of the Rings is another thing, atleast here the only thing we know about aussies are kangaroos and the outback and sydney opera house.

Attached: Untitled.png (1412x632, 116K)

Even though Poltically we're with America now and we get all their media theres more personally in common with europe/Great Britain. Accually then again for some reason ive seen a whole bunch of American service workers over the last few months and there is definitely a group of zoomers who are basically American. But in general you meet more euros, are more likely to travel there and are way more likely to have family connections there.

I think there are way more european immigrants in Austarlia than Canada, but I don't know the numbers on that, feels like it though.

I've met more Swiss in Canada with no family connections than Aussies here and currently there are very few Canadians with a direct European family connection outside of the UK.

Australians are barely relevant or featured or discussed in America since American media/culture is basically insulated from the non-Canadian world so its really a one-way thing you guys do by trying to emulate American culture.

Here US politics/media are obviously featured, but we almost 100% of the time contextualize it as a sideshow while paying more attention to our stuff since we go out of our way to create a distinctly Canadian identity (e.g. 60% of TVshows/music/etc. have to be Canadian-origin, bilingualism and French/Native cultural stuff is heavily promoted, canadian nature and environment is symbolized, etc.)

Nah. the vast majority of australians are from the british isles. At least here the european groups went out of their way for a century to maintain aspects of their culture due to the whole Quebec thing (3rd gen italians and ukrainians don't identify with british culture despite only speaking english while trying to maintain random things like food and so-on)

for recent immigrants we still get a tonne more from the eastern bloc than you guys did, atleast half a million poles which are distinctly poles/russians/etc. and still almost completely speak it for example.

it's not consciously trying to emulate America, theres lot of disdain for it but just our media is fucked and even more so with the internet so its just picked up by osmosis because you end up watching American stuff and youtubers. And most Australian internet entertainers are AUSTRALIAN XXXDDD BARBIES BEERS HAHA while also mostly being from the group who are basically Americans. Im not sure why but we have absolutely dog shit comedians at the moment as well.
yeah we have a million poms and just going throguh life you casually meet so many people who are english or who were born there and grew up here.

Both are gay

Australia and Canada export mostly the same stuff and neither are militarily powerful enough to defend the other so there was never a reason for a political relationship
culturally Canada has drifted to far from traditional anglo interests like cricket and rugby so there is no reason for a cultural relationship either
If Canada had retained their anglo culture the sporting rivalry between Australia and Canada would have been huge, unfortunately we just have kiwis, the various brits and saffers

>No rugby or cricket

Canada WTF.

they have a t20 league now but its just pajeet immigrants and west indians

If they are so similar why would they trade with each other?

It was a thing for Australians to go to Canada during their gap year and work at ski resorts and crap like that to fund their gap year just like Americans/Canadians work along the coast on farms and outback jobs to fund their trips. I haven't really heard much of that ski resort stuff in a few years though

That still happens. Whenever I go skiing at Whistler or some place like that, there's lots of Aussies working the lifts and teaching kids to ski.

good post

>unfortunately we just have kiwis, the various brits and saffers
you frequently get btfo by both of >us though, especially in rugby

based Kiwi

wish i was a kiwi, an australian or a canadian in that order.
(not doing down Canada, just prefer the pacific area as neighbours.)

>just prefer the pacific area as neighbours

Why though?

Almost every neighbour in the area of Australia with the exception of New Zealand is poor, violent, overpopulated, a third world shit hole or filled with stone age tribes.

We've got Ocean on all sides and 1 neighbour who is stable, unless you could 7 people in Greenland as a neighbour.

>Australia's neighbours are poor, violent, overpopulated
Doesn't Canada's neighbour fit that description to a T

most of our neighbours have very friendly populations, if I had to choose between latin america and south east asia to vacation to I'd probably choose SEA even though I really want to work a hispanic latina chick

I wouldn't call Greenland overpopulate

canadians are just snow yanks
australians and kiwis are still very culturally british