Expat thread

I'm going to move to Germany in June next year. Getting an EU passport (not German) soon. I'm a front-end software developer primarily, but looking to expand my skill set.

If there's anyone who has made a similar change in their life, could you give me advice on what are good avenues to go down.

Right now, I'm thinking about trying to find a job I can do remotely, hopefully for the company I'm working for now.

Expats please share your stories about what you did before the move and how you made life work in your new home!

Attached: 1525572473100.jpg (2160x3840, 217K)

>I'm a front-end software developer primarily

AAAAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

C U C K E D
U
C
K
E
D

Attached: markus.jpg (400x400, 30K)

>expat
More like filthy immigrant

lol yeah 100k salary is pretty cucked ain't it

This is a good christian board, please keep things nice and wholesome

>t. 27 year old boomer

Now you only need to find yourself a local golddigger and a good prescription doctor to sooth the pain of responsibility and a backstabbing industry, then you're all set. Honestly if you'd die in a car crash you'd be better off.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (247x231, 16K)

Hahaha wew lad, you're a bitter cunt aren't ya? What's your line of work?

I used to be a programmer.

>I used to be a programmer.
Awfully ambiguous. What field were you in? What made you change? and what are you doing now?

>Awfully ambiguous.
Lets say that I'm a savant in data serialization with quite a reputation. Lets also say that I resent the industry (especially the tyrannical HR) and don't really care to talk about it, unless you have a very specific question.

>especially the tyrannical HR
I'm fortunate in that my company is quite small and doesn't have that element just yet. It seems like an Orwellian HR department is becoming the norm for most big companies, though I'm assuming that from news articles and anecdotes. Were they like Facebook tier at your previous companies?

>Were they like Facebook tier at your previous companies?
That's an odd comparison. EUropean software companies have a peculiar different taste in software with little to no variation; everything is about financials and (e)commerce, anything that literally cashes. Operating systems, facebook and the like, any kind of sovereign platform that doesn't leech on existing data streams, European companies despise because there are no quick bucks to be made. This mentality attracts all the wrong people, glitterati and socialites who have no aptitude for technology, they want bastards with wives and children who they can bribe.

>This mentality attracts all the wrong people, glitterati and socialites who have no aptitude for technology
That sounds disgusting. Australian software companies have quite a lot of variety when it comes to what receives funding/investments. My company had office space in this floor that was like an incubator for start-ups. If anything, I learnt that there is an endless amount of niches to fill in a lot of different ways. Even in my company now, the cold corporate culture hasn't taken root here as of now. But again, we are still quite small.

It's not entirely coincidence that 2K opened an Office in Australia and not in, say, Belgium. Continental Europe isn't ready for IT the way anglican countries are, we're slav tier in this regard but nobody dares to admit this.

>2K opened an Office in Australia
Till they shutdown in 2015. Australia's minimum wage kills developer studio's like nothing else. I believe Australia can be a powerful force in most fields, but the minimum wage restricts potential here quite a lot

There is a certain fragility in the Australian consensus where it's A-OK to accept hordes of Chinese investors, buy wrong to claim a spot in the information sector. I guess the former option is just safer.

we also just fucked the NBN. I just dropped out of uni studying IT and the more i see the better i feel about it. Just absolute cancer to study so i doubt it'd get any better. And i had fuck all talent at it and went to one of the worst unis in the country so i didn't have to move out.

>There is a certain fragility in the Australian consensus where it's A-OK to accept hordes of Chinese investors
Nail on the head. Australia is taking a similar path to Canada in this aspect. Selling assets off instead of growing and cultivating them. We fucked up hard with battery technology. CSIRO (Our national research department) were almost finished creating this excellent battery technology for storing massive amounts of energy. Funding got cut, then the people working on this stuff got scalped by Tesla/SpaceX, and sold the technology back to us. I fucking hate the cunts running this place.

>I'm going to move to Germany
Just dont. For real mate. This people are f***** arrogant and you will drown in a pile of insurances, paperwork and retardness. Talk to someone before you come here and make sure to officially translate your certificates, because if it is not in german... FU. God. It is a nightmare to work with this people.

>you will drown in a pile of insurances, paperwork and retardness.
This is a good mention. Nothing satisfies a German more than browbeating people with bureaucratic sophistry.

That sucks, but guess it's part and parcel. My ideal situation would be working remotely for mainly Australian based clients. How much would Germany want to stick their nose in my business? I'd only be in Germany till probably the end of next year and a little bit after.

German most common answers:
-For a 2 days work: I need around 2 weeks.
-Anything happens: It is not my fault. I do everything perfectly let me check the emails for a week and tell you who's fault it is, and after 6 months just let it be because it is clear it was my fault but I do nothing wrong.

>German most common answers:
>-For a 2 days work: I need around 2 weeks.
>-Anything happens: It is not my fault. I do everything perfectly let me check the emails for a week and tell you who's fault it is, and after 6 months just let it be because it is clear it was my fault but I do nothing wrong.
Kek they sound like Mexicans with workplace-savvy

If you get someone to hire you great. But you will have to make the common shit yourself in german. If you want to work for a company but have them as clients you will have to hire someone to do your taxes for sure. You will have to get an address to get a registration to get a job and here you need a loophole to get in because you need one for the other. Some big companies have temporary places for foreigners.

Ideally I'd be working freelance. Company life isn't for me I think. But if it comes to that, I'm going to keep your advice in mind.