How big is your vocab, Jow Forums?

How big is your vocab, Jow Forums?

You can take the test here:
testyourvocab.com/

I've taken the test several times now and my highest result was about 21k words while the lowest was 16k.

Attached: ZFqLYSIrKIo[1].jpg (724x334, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

testyourvocab.com/result?user=10642758
testyourvocab.com/
vocaroo.com/i/s0autpCWuSDy
vocaroo.com/i/s0pxWOCf0fpZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

30300. The ones I didn't know didn't even sound like actual words.

11 100 words

I feel retarded now

>tfw 16700
>literal brainlet

Should've played dem baldursgates and icewindales. They've bugbears aplenty.

26 200
Fair enough

Nibba how'd you get 30300
I read Harvard law review and debate on a daily basis and I'm still not anywhere close to 30000(Read my post above)

Attached: QUESTION.jpg (498x500, 59K)

cRPGs and sci-fi books. Also Prattchet/Gaiman during my teen years. They're awfully fond of obscure words.

Also English is my native language, in tandem with Chinese

9k-20k is a normal vocab size for a foreigner.
20k-30k is a normal vocab size for a native speaker.

Huh, time to dust off my old books then lole.

Attached: Smug anime girl 3.png (442x409, 291K)

This is good right?

Attached: 1531926091894.png (645x773, 11K)

Guys how much you read books in English? And how you remember rarely used words?

I also probably knew a few that I didn't check. But I just didn't recognize the spelling

>20k-30k is a normal vocab size for a native speaker.

lol nope.

Probably puts you in the top 10 in Russia?

Yeah it's alright.That Lithuanian guy was an outlier.
I read global affairs pretty much everyday, books-rarely
I don't really make a conscientious effort to remember big/difficult words, I just come across them frequently enough that I can remember the previous contexts behind it, and construe the meaning of the word(Of course I check the dictionary just to make sure of it)

I'm okay with it

What would you expect to be the norm, in that case?

That's what the research says

Attached: fiUL2AhITlc[1].jpg (429x128, 37K)

15k or lower for a dumbass high school dropout, 25k+ for someone who has a college degree. 15-20k is probably the normal

>20,600 words
Guess im retarded

Attached: 1529821824335.png (459x499, 127K)

Average vocabulary of a native English speaker is not the same as the "natives" who have taken that test.

Nigger you know that the overwhelming majority of people graduate HS

i got 26k and im a genius, so dont feel too bad

I'm a high school dropout and I scored 26,200 frendo
I wouldn't say that education is a good measure of vocabulary, especially if you include slang and/or dialects.

Attached: Apu kavi.jpg (605x516, 30K)

>i'm a genius
The only people that claim this are idiots

Yeah? Literally what the fuck does that have anything to do with what I said you dumb fuck?

I think I got started out with stuff like Fallout/Planescape/Baldurs Gate/etc series. Loads of story to tell and nigh all of it in text, instead of being voice acted. Got hooked on fantasy after reading The Light Fantastic, and that was his only book translated to lithuanian. Ended up reading pretty much everything else in English. Bought nearly all of his books when I was living abroad. Continued unto various sci-fi authors. A lot of people would call it garbage literature, but at least it helped with my English.
There's also the fact that simply knowing the word doesn't mean it's being used in daily speech, because most of the time it's awkward as fuck. Seems out of place, and you end up sounding like a twat.

And/Or narcissists

Same, I'm a college dropout and I scored 26k as well. But I was saying the numbers as an average, since there will always be outliers, not as a limit.

I didn't expect to see so many French words
>legerdemain
>embonpoint
>repartee
>sobriquet

32000 not bad

Fascinating, but I don't think that verbiage makes you seem like a twat, maybe a little stuck-up, but a great vocabulary is a wonderful thing

Oh, quite so.Why did you drop out user?
Just asking out of curiousity

Attached: me on the right and you on the left.jpg (674x515, 44K)

Nani?Proof?That's quite an outlandish score desu.Checked btw.

Lack of motivation to study when I was/am working on a few other projects that I think will yield better results for me in my future life. I wasn't going to learn anything philosophical from my college, and the only stuff left to learn was technical stuff, and all the technical stuff I need to learn I can from the internet.

Ah, understandable.That was my original idea too, but as it turns out , in this nation a piece of paper is everything.It's really bullshit, the university admission questions could be answered by a teenager with a lot of free time.
Oh well, I guess this is one of the short-comings of a first world country.

Attached: 5215325621.png (680x521, 99K)

And I grew up in a non-english speaking society

Again I don't know my native tongue that much so that might explain

26,300 lul
brother

>16100
I need to read more

Attached: 94AC116F-1A0C-498C-8CA8-F22788E59DF7.jpg (600x450, 195K)

I must have the oats.

English is literally a French creole

this
english is a romance language

Attached: English-language-lexis.png (1024x1024, 78K)

>12400

Attached: 47b.jpg (665x574, 24K)

Wrong.It is a Germanic language

you are wrong. it is a proud romance language

>25,300
I guess it's ok?

Sorry friend, but just because the majority of the lexicon is based of Romance languages doesn't change the fact that it belongs in the Germanic branch

yeah it does though
english is a romance language, simple as

Nuh uh

Attached: smug laugh.png (669x696, 388K)

English has Germanic syntax, making it s Germanic language

my cunt; as the flag denotes
score:7200
shiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt
testyourvocab.com/result?user=10642758

22.8 k

Here's mine.

Attached: Vocabulary.png (945x537, 32K)

I envy you a large amount of your vocabulary...

R A R E

A

A R
R R
E E

why don't you speak your native lang?
>Brunei
hmm I don't make out the reason why you forgot the lang plz tell me

>testyourvocab.com/

lol a lot of complex word are basically french

A lot of these seem to be antiquated or from regional dialects.

Attached: 25k.png (886x605, 36K)

Is it bad that I only know terpichorean from anime?

It's okay I guess.

I scored only 9,370
It supposed to be low.
But.
I need to read english philosophical papers, and i dont have that much of a problem, and I dont use translator that much.
hmmmmmmmm

true, French speakers have an advantage when it comes to vocab. even now I often guess the meaning of words I've never heard based on what they mean in French (I took French for a few years). you could probably guess the meaning of a lot of these words even though they're not a part of your English vocabulary

I'm okay with this, but wish I knew more.

Attached: assrape69.jpg (688x263, 19K)

>american education
I'm from France, in case 4chins gives me an amerishartan flag

Attached: Screenshot_20181004-164424.jpg (1080x2160, 751K)

>tfw only 16k

Attached: 1525746192089.png (557x521, 414K)

>from France
>most of the complex words in the English language are derived or straight borrowed from French
>gets a high score
Yeah? Anyway, as a writefag, there's no reason to know or use obscure words that the average reader wouldn't know. I don't write in order to confuse people or fan my ego.

>18600
All this from youtube and vidya, no books

25k, pretty interesting to see the stats concerning the age parameters. It seems like most people's vocabulary peaks out at around the age 40.

everyone, especially those from non-English-speaking countries, could you please tell me how the fuck you managed to attain a relatively grand amount of vocabulary???
those who are non-native English speaker handling more than 20k of words???? I doubt it desu

I think a major part of it is that a lot of these really complex words are derived from Latin or Greek, and are pretty similar (or even identical) in all the European languages. Compared to the simple words, which are a lot more different.

That and the fact that the amount of English language media that Europeans consume is staggering large (although they sometimes don't like to admit it here)

If you had another language in the same family as Japanese you'd find it a ton easier to learn too.

>there are words which commonly share their origins
yep, because I study French as my name says, I acknowledge that the commonness of the Indo-European languages enables you to study other languages within it much easier than us(actually I'm also the one who profits from that similarity).
Nonetheless, I wonder why the non-natives can make out the words so complicated and limited-situation-oriented that even the natives won't use so often...

Most of the words in the last category I literally never heard or seen before

Attached: Screenshot (187).png (738x527, 28K)

fugg my vocab is skyrocketing :DDDDD

Attached: IMG_20181005_011157.png (958x613, 100K)

I envy you

I'm already 23yo so it's kinda natural desu

Attached: 1537546637655.jpg (500x500, 104K)

>23yo
what the heck is this

Attached: cfeaf101.jpg (1280x969, 243K)

23y(ears)/o(ld)

Attached: Capture.png (741x530, 22K)

I felt worried when it was presenting a host of nigh archaic french words not commonly used by anything I come into contact with.

Attached: native language pro.jpg (435x318, 32K)

I see.
Do you have any certificates of your English skill?
That is, if you are truly a jap you must know TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS or 英検 mustn't you?

You need to first read something at all I reckon

i didn't/don't have any volition to quantify my English skills so i've taken TOEIC only once at the age of 19y/o(freshman) and scored 750. it's not that bad considering i didn't study English for TOEIC for shit innit

>tfw though I for sure scored 850 at my 18, shortly before I enter my univ but the fact fails me.
ohhhhhhhhhhhh aaaaaahhhhhhh butthurtooooooooooooooooooo I envy you fucking much

You should engage more with foreigners if you want to improve
Like speaking the language everyday mayne on some messanger app

>mayne
*maybe

>14,900
Pretty pathetic, tb h

that's the one and only solution, hell yeah I know it...but I have just one friend to talk with in that way lol
well, I register in a chatroom of /cum/ and /fr/, but I cannot follow the speed at which they speak in the voicechat lmao

>dumbass high school dropout
love you too, m8

>I for sure scored 850 at my 18, shortly before I enter my univ
freaking based. how are your accent and pronunciation btw? can't help slurring lol

>latin-germanic mutt language
sad tb h

How much did you score in the test?

take these
vocaroo.com/i/s0autpCWuSDy
vocaroo.com/i/s0pxWOCf0fpZ
>the test
if you talk about the score of the TOEIC R and L that I took only once, then it was just 850 or something like that I guess.

>the absolute madman, he did it

I am referring to this online test we just did

>19,900
Almost native...