/lang/ – Language Learning General

Germanic languages are sexist edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to practice your target language with!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Jow Forums Wiki. (just one (embed))
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

/Lang/ is currently short on those image qts, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to read the OP; nobody embeds anyway and yet here we are embedding!

Mega link with books for all kinds of languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Ideally take a class, otherwise buy (torrent) a well-received textbook for your language, google any grammar you have trouble with and no matter what do lots of translation exercises but post an apu if you actually read this but I doubt it
>Will I learn a language by using Duolingo five minutes a day while being a normie?
Nein!
>Should I learn X to get a qt wife/gf (male) etc?
Nö!
>Should I learn X because of my heritage
Implying!

>What language should I learn
>I just want something easy and somewhat useful
German
>I want a language that's useful and fun but not too hard
German
>I want a language that's useful and embrace a challenge
German
>Discord link
German

old thread

Attached: krautofapproval.png (998x799, 324K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sUSN7fqVBio
youtube.com/user/WikiTongues/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=XSXBcko8wNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for reddit

Translation exercise:
Easy
1) I love to change Esmeralda's poopy diapers because they smell exquisite.

that's it

based and brrrappilled

>tf
>tp

Translate to english

>easy
1) Die, die die, die die Dietriche erfunden haben, verdammen, tun ihnen unrecht.
2)Die Möglichkeiten der deutschen Grammatik können einen, wenn man sich darauf, was man ruhig, wenn man möchte, sollte, einlässt, überraschen.

I wanna know as well

>Was zum Teufel

Ich will Nehrim spielen!
youtube.com/watch?v=sUSN7fqVBio

1. Those who damn those who founded the Dietrichs did them an injustice.

That's probably not right. I'm still thinking about the second one

>entering fresh relationships
>entering new relationships
What is the difference?

looks like Learning with Texts
a link to it is in the language learning wiki in OP

either that or a similar program

я вepю в тeбя aнoн. ты мoжeшь этo cдeлaть

It's Learning with Texts (LWT). Some anons have commented that it's hard to install and it lacks critical features just to warn you. I agree that it's finicky but I still like it enough to use as my primary /lang/ tool. Started book 2 of HP today, gonna decouple reading + listening this time around so I'll only be reading on LWT plus I'll listen to the audiobook whilst perhaps going for a walk.

Attached: hp.png (870x719, 117K)

In case I decide to learn Mandarin, how useful is it to know only Pinyin but not the other symbols?

Attached: Pinyin-Consonants-and-Vowels-1024x570.jpg (754x420, 43K)

are you black? just wondering cause you seem low IQ :P

F-french.... pls no bulli.

how did u even translate that? are you C2 master race?

I have no idea if what I wrote is correct.

Mfw when i cant translate "añorar" i dont want to google it thats for retards

Someone send help pls

Attached: 0fe83f58b560a1fe002703629613fccd1a991a17_00.jpg (320x236, 12K)

Thanks guys

You can learn it with just Pinyin, yeah, but why not learn the hanzi as well? They look nasty but each one is only 2 or 3 components (radicals), and there's 'only' 200 or so radicals. That might sound bad but it's a lot better than 3000+ characters if they were each entirely unique. Besides that only a few of those radicals are super common, so even if you've only learnt 100 characters you can pick up new ones very quickly.

Sorry, you will have to search for another member to join your watermelon gang

ta shi kuso baka sans déconner jajaja

To miss or yearn, to pine for

Not very? You obviously wouldn't be able to read anything, and you would be able to speak/listen but only to a limited extent - resources that show everything with pinyin would probably thin out after a certain point.
Why would you want to do that tho? The characters really aren't that bad desu.

But would it still be useful? I just read that in all of Germany there are only a total of 5500 people who learn Chinese either in school or in university, so i assume it will allow me to earn money.
I don't have the motivation go to all the way learning all these symbols though. Learning the language itself is fine, but I really dislike the hanzi symbols.

guess you don't need black skin to be a dumb nigger

Apparently at some point in time the symbols used to make sense, but now they don't.

I was wondering if maybe pinyin was used in some contexts or was being adopted by more people. If it's not the case, it seems it's either hundreds of symbols or not doing it at all.

Attached: moon.png (585x384, 25K)

Acutally wait, I'm dumb. Dietriche erfunden haben means invented lockpicks, not what I wrote lmao

>Those who damn those who founded the Dietrichs did them an injustice.
Those who damn those who invented Lockpicks did them an injustice.
nice Job user, im impressed

Attached: 1507154145301.jpg (248x249, 7K)

Try learning the first 100 then see how you feel about it. I've known many people who've become proficient in mandarin and all of them have learnt the characters. You don't even have to be that good at writing. Lots of younger Chinese people are having more difficulty with hand writing since phone/computer systems automate it from Pinyin. But if you're committing to learning the language you should at the very minimum learn to read, it's really really not as bad as it looks initially.

Meisje gaat bukken, nondedju
Baby heeft ze open overal in de stad
Strikt zakelijk, ze is niet aan het spelen
Bestrijken veel terrein, wordt betaald in ponden
Betalen worden is haar forte
Echt elke dag, twee spelers weg
Ik kan haar uit mijn gedachten niet halen
Ik denk de hele tijd aan die meisje

Oost zijde tot de west zijde
Dikke auto's duwen, geen verrassingen veroorzaakt

Attached: 1497686611922.jpg (320x286, 31K)

Cool

i put it in google translate and it sounds right except for the found, did u use google translate to help you.

Im not understanding it.

why are there 5 "die" not 4? those who, those who is just needs 4 "die" ?

>I was wondering if maybe pinyin was used in some contexts
Well Mao wanted to replace the hanzi altogether and just use pinyin, but that never went anywhere.
As for the symbols not making sense, while most are not ideograms anymore, there is some logic to them, which becomes clear once you start learning some.
So yeah, it is either not learn at all, or learn ~2,500 characters. It's genuinely not that bad though - unlike in some other hanzi based languages, the characters are exclusively monosyllabic, and are always pronounced the same way. It's almost like a syllabary, just with multiple characters per syllable.

The first die is the subject of the clause 'Die tun ihnen unrecht'. The second die is the relative pronoun for the first die. The third die is the direct object of the second die. The fourth die is the relative pronoun of the third die. The fifth die is the article of Dietriche. Something like that I think

>and are always pronounced the same way.
actually on second thought that's not always the case, but the changes that do occur are obvious and usually make sense

Okay thanks, this helped me to decide on which path to take. Too bad Mao didn't succeed in this, it would have made China and everything chinese much more accessible.

I know that the best way to progress in language learning is to speak with natives, but I'm too scared...

Attached: 1490648535301.jpg (619x453, 28K)

Me too man. Gotta get on the discord, we're still waiting for the new link.

Like any phobia (and it IS a phobia, an irrational fear), it lessens with exposure

are the natives of your lang all chads and stacie and overly attractive, well kept, well fed, healthy outgoing normie giants with literally nothing to worry about except children's traditions?
no?
then you will probably have an easier time relating to them

protip: trick yourself into a situation where you _have_ to speak it with someone; you can figure out the details

>irrational
I mean sure it's anxiety based and so emotional and so not rational but then literally no fear is rational since it's caused by an emotional reaction to a perceived threat
...what would be a rational fear?
>I should just go to sleep desu

wow bro ur pretty good at german can you speak it fluently?

which language user?

Russian

Attached: R14kkDj.png (200x200, 22K)

F

Rip user

J'aime changer les couches sales d'Esmeralda parce que ils sentent exquis

good except that couche is féminin so elles sentent exquises

エスメラルダちゃんの汚れたオムツが絶妙に臭うから替えるのが好きだ

hmu if you need help with Spanish or Galician

Attached: bandera_anime.jpg (1280x853, 287K)

Exquis is for taste not smell

no it doesn't stupid cheong

>that grammar

Used for taste or for an impression. Not for a smell. Don't teach me my mother tongue leaf

Attached: Screenshot_20181031-114007.jpg (1080x1920, 476K)

Friendly reminder that this exists:
youtube.com/user/WikiTongues/videos

It has some R A R E langs, for example this one with only 560 speakers:
youtube.com/watch?v=XSXBcko8wNQ

Are you fucking stupid? These definitions are perfectly applicable to smell. Just because the example sentences don't concern smell doesn't mean they can't be used in that context you fucking retarded kim. Learn to read

I'm tempted to agree with him though, regardless of the exact wording of the definition, I've literally never heard "exquis" used for smell rather than taste. Common usage dictates that it's more or less limited to taste.

Do you have any friends in your target language? How did you meet them?

Go sniff a stinky packed diaper you moronic chong lee. Huff it like your life depends on it and maybe you'll learn something

Nothing wrong with saying something smells delicious even if you didn't taste it yet fucking labrador

1. Why are you so angry ?

2. Did you read the actual definition ? It litteraly says "for taste"

3. Never saw it used for smell either. It's easy to see why people whoule missuse it if it's not common tho.

>can't read more than one line
eat a poop before you reply to me again chee-guk nicheong bastard

I do, I met her via a penpal program. Cool chick

>Nothing wrong with saying something smells delicious
Because English works differently from French. I mean, even the way to say how something tastes differs in the two languages: "to taste" vs "avoir un goût (de)". Though it's common in North American French to instead say "goûter", which is an English calque, so maybe that's where the confusion stems from.

Should I learn Farsi/Persian? Is it a meme language or is it actually useful?

Attached: image.jpg (500x400, 58K)

Oh I thought the original post was quoted. carry on kind kyung-joon

>UK
Yeah it's probably useful. Unironically I enjoyed learning it when I did. I don't remember much though

What are the meanings and uses of "ya" other than "already"? Also where is it used in a sentence.

>Easy
>She wanted some more beer.
Oнa хoтeлa бoльшe пивo.
>The music annoyed him.
Myзыкa paздpaжaeт eгo.
>He wished he was at home.
Oн хoтeл быть дoмa.
>It was past midnight when they finally left the bar.
Былo пocлe пoлyнoчи кoгдa нaкoнeц oни yшли бap.

>Medium
>He was very happy to leave that place.
Oн был oчeнь cчacтлив yхoдить этo мecтo.
>They called for a taxi to come pick them up.
Oни звoнили тaкcи, чтoбы пpихoдить зa их.
>The roadside was lined with trees and foliage.
Пoдлe yлицy были дepeвa и лиcтвa.

Attached: 1428163328855s.jpg (577x545, 60K)

I'm currently balls deep in the process of learning it for work. I'd suggest learning something else unless you have a pertinent need to do so.

If he did success, the Chinese history connection wouldn't be accessable to Chinese people anymore.
Actually tons of people from Hong Kong, Taiwan have been criticising the simplification of Hanzi, and calling it "crippled characters".

Easy
>I have never been to this restaurant.
Я никoгдa нe был в этoм pecтopaнe.
>I get the feeling he doesn't like me
Mнe кaжeтcя, чтo eмy нe нpaвитcя я.
>I like bananas, but I didn't when I was younger.
Я люблю бaнaны, нo в мoлoдocти oни мнe нe нpaвилиcь.
>Which show is this character from?
Oт кoтopoй шoy этoт пepcoнaж?
>I can't type as fast as you.
Я нe мoгy пeчaтaть быcтpee тeбя.

Medium
>The only thing I don't like about my job is how far it is from where I live.
Mнe нe нpaвитcя o мoeй paбoтoй пpocтo кaк дaлeкo этa oткyдa живy.

If someone could let me know how much I fucked up, could've done better, etc, thank you.

Attached: 1465659587630.jpg (1920x1541, 127K)

What is this a picture of? German words are: RepOest

Attached: Untitled.png (742x578, 836K)

Looks like an old passport or something. Rep. Oest. means Republic of Austria.

that makes sense, movie is in 1800s Austria

Bump

Bump

no, it's to read imageboards and watch videos

no it can work
"elles sentent exquises" doesn't work, but you can say "leur odeur est exquise", or "leur exquise odeur me ravi"

>bunch of 1 minute videos
surely these languages are saved and will escape their fate now

it's probably gonna be useful if you're in the army

>not learning finnish

It's pretty down the /lang/ wish list, lad

finn when nobody learns finnish
>not learning finnish

finn when people want to learn finnish
>wtf leave my language alone you fucking faggots

I find almost everyone does this

>learning finnish

Does anyone here use notebooks? What do you use them for? Everything I do is online.

I used to have a notebook for Dutch notes but fuck knows where I put it

Is it best to just completely focus on the grammar of a language first before moving on to learning resources, Duolingo etc?

Vocab is very important.
Good vocab and horrible grammar is better for a beginner ti have than good grammar and little to no vocab.
Grab yourself a phrasebook in addition to your grammar sources would be my recommendation.

I did while going to courses, it helped a lot. Learning off paper for me works much better (allegedly this is true for more people but I can't find the research paper where I read this)
I advise you at least have grammar stuff and rules written out clearly

sort of this, but overall it's about balance imo
it's like basic vocab -> basic phrases -> more vocab -> more complicated sentences -> and from here you polish grammar and you start being able to read/listen and understand how things go in that specific lang and analyze how a sentence was formed etc

I’ve got 3. Conjugation tables, vocabulary, and a journal where I write about my day in Spanish.

Dead on Halloween

>Ya
Can be used of a form of "yes" or "allright"
it could also mean "Now" depending on context, for example in a countdown "Tres, dos, uno.. Ya!"

They're interchangeable, I wouldn't say there's a great difference

Bump

What is "trick or treat" in your target language?

"Snoep of ik schiet" - Candy or i'll shoot
Just goes to show how much we've been influenced by the americans desu

"Amerikanischer Müll" in German

top kek