/lang/ Language Learning General

negativity edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to practice your target language with!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own! (embed)

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Jow Forums Wiki. (just one (embed))
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

/Lang/ is currently short on those image qts, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to read the OP; nobody embeds anyway and I just want to say I hate that chino faggot pass!

Mega link with books for all kinds of languages:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Ideally take a class, otherwise buy (torrent) a well-received textbook for your language, google any grammar you have trouble with and no matter what do lots of translation exercises but post an apu if you actually read this but I doubt it
>Will I learn a language by using Duolingo five minutes a day while taking a shit
No
>I'm going to use Duolingo anyway
If on your phone, use the mobile site and NOT the app; the latter lacks many important features and doesn't let you turn the word bank off which should always be off. In addition don't copy-paste or memorize answers for the sake of completing lessons, and as above, google anything you don't understand
>Should I learn X to get a qt wife/gf (male) etc?
No
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No

>What language should I learn
None, just post in here asking which you should learn and then never post again
>I just want something easy and somewhat useful
No lang is easiest lang
>I want a language that's useful and fun but not too hard
None are useful
>I want a language that's useful and embrace a challenge
You are the challenge

Attached: lang_challenge4.png (800x600, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

morewords.com/contains/rth/
independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/an-increasing-number-of-british-people-dont-pronounce-the-word-three-properly-these-maps-explain-why-a7079976.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-IzKR7lHMBw
youtube.com/watch?v=UZryrt9UyKE
youtube.com/watch?v=7MZxXbTnEYI
youtube.com/watch?v=pIc6e4PBsPk
youtube.com/watch?v=kXfMWxBbgbw
youtube.com/watch?v=Yxe84TqqX-I
discord.gg/4XTmZ63
vocaroo.com/i/s1jYCw3nHZSj
fluent-forever.com/the-method/vocabulary/base-vocabulary-list/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

old challenges
posts that nobody corrected yet:
(korean)
(dutch)
(chinese)

now get to work you fuckers

Attached: 1534653059387.png (657x527, 171K)

>Ik haat (echt?) mijn baan
Echt, ik haat mijn baan zeer... lots of ways one could convey this.
>Ik heb al mijn tijd vandaag verspild
>Hou op met schreeuwen naar die kat
>De Roemeen heeft de dierentuin ontvlucht
would use ontsnappen instead of ontvluchten, one would ontvlucht a burning building and ontsnap from a cage.
>Ze zijn allemaal gewoon verdwenen
Ze zijn allemaal net verdwenen, just in the original sentence is a bit ambiguous.
>Ik heb dit filmpje onlangs gezien en ik vond het leuk
Would go with laatst instead of onlangs
>Ik heb vandaag een wandeling gemaakt
>Deze muziek is te hard/luid, het geeft mij hoofdpijn
"Ik krijg er hoofdpijn van" is also commonly said
>Hij zegt dat hij het juiste ding dacht te hebben gedaan (?! fuck me)
Zei* nice one
>Als je had geluisterd zou je geweten hebben dat dat kennelijk fout was
Als je had geluisterd zou je geweten hebben dat je duidelijk* fout was.
Kennelijk is more akin to apparent

ffs user I was going to give up on this thread

>ontvlucht a burning building and ontsnap from a cage
yea I think this is already the second time I make this mistake~~
>Zei*
ik wil dood

>*makes a smart face*
>Hmm, so which 3 languages should I learn at the same time?
>I don't like A, B, C, and D,E,F are too easy and I already speak X,Y,Z
>anyone? so i thought. i am too smart for you
>*leaves thread*

how do you pronounce "rth" without sounding like a retarded in words like swarthy? is it just a matter of practice until you develop your tongue enough to do it or it's not even a hard sound to pull off and I'm doing it completely wrong?

>*thinking face emoji*

I'm thinking of choosing something to pretend to want to learn for a week on my facebook wall, between Afrikaans,Akan,Albanian,Amharic,Arabic,Armenian,ASL,Assamese,Assyrian,Azerbaijani,Bahdini,Bambara,Bashkir,Basque,Belarusian,Bengali,Bosnian,Bravanese,Bulgarian,Burmese,Cambodian,Cantonese,Catalan,Cebuano,Chaldean,Chamorro,Chaozhou,Chavacano,Chin,Chuukese,Cree,Croatian,Czech,Dakota,Danish,Dari,Dinka,Dioula,Dzongkha,Estonian,Ewe,Fante,Faroese,Farsi,Fijian Hindi,Finnish,Flemish,French,French Canadian,Frisian,Fujianese,Fukienese,Fula,Fulani,Fuzhou,Ga,Gaelic,Galician,Ganda,Georgian,German,Gorani,Greek,Gujarati,Haitian Creole,Hakka,Hassaniyya,Hausa,Hebrew,Hiligaynon,Hindi,Hmong,Hungarian,Ibanag,Icelandic,Igbo,Ilocano,Ilonggo,Indian,Indonesian,Inuktitut,Irish,Italian,Jakartanese,Japanese,Javanese,Kanjobal,Kannada,Karen,Kashmiri,Kazakh,Khalkha,Khmer,Kikuyu,Kinyarwanda,Kirundi,Korean,Kosovan,Kotokoli,Krio,Kurdish,Kurmanji,Kyrgyz,Lakota,Laotian,Latin,Latvian,Lingala,Lithuanian,Luganda,Luo,Lusoga,Luxembourgeois,Maay,Macedonian,Malagasy,Malay,Malayalam,Maldivian,Maltese,Mandarin,Mandingo,Mandinka,Maori,Marathi,Marshallese,Mien,Mirpuri,Mixteco,Moldovan,Mongolian,Navajo,Neapolitan,Nepali,Norwegian,Nuer,Nyanja,Ojibaway,Oriya,Oromo,Ossetian,Pahari,Pampangan,Pashto,Patois,Pidgin English,Polish,Portuguese,Pothwari,Pulaar,Punjabi,Putian,Quanxi,Quechua,Romani,Romansch,Rundi,Russian,Samoan,Sango,Sanskrit,Serbian,Shanghainese,Shona,Sichuan,Sicilian,Sindhi,Sinhala,Sinhalese,Siswati/Swazi,Slovak,Slovene,Slovenian,Somali,Soninke,Sorani,Sotho,Spanish,Sundanese,Susu,Swahili,Swedish,Sylhetti,Tagalog,Taiwanese,Tajik,Tamil,Telugu,Thai,Tibetan,Tigrinya,Tongan,Tshiluba,Tsonga,Tswana,Turkish,Turkmen,Uighur,Ukrainian,Urdu,Uzbek,Venda,Vietnamese,Visayan,Welsh,Wolof,Xhosa,Yao,Yiddish,Yoruba,Yupik, and Zulu

Any help?

based user joining in on the negativity edition
you are my favorite burger user

record yourself saying a few examples plx
here's a list to help you out
hearth stone
darth maul
fourth wall
birth of jesus
unworthy
earthquake

or pick any from morewords.com/contains/rth/

and speaking of 'th' here's a fun fact independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/an-increasing-number-of-british-people-dont-pronounce-the-word-three-properly-these-maps-explain-why-a7079976.html

:DDDDD
Also old ignored challenge of mine
>Meine Frau und ich gehen zum Laden.
>Gibt es heute Obst zum Verkauf?
>Ich habe einen Apfel geschmissen und es ist auf der Straße gerollt.
>Könntest du bitte das noch ein Mal sagen?
>Ich glaube, morgen wird es regnen.

>Kann irgendjemand meine Schwester von der Arbeit holen?
>Ich suche nach einem Mann, der grüne Haare haben könnte.
>Er hat meine Lieblingsvase gestohlen, das heißt, die, die meine Halbschwester mir geschenkt hat.
>Es ist unglaublich selten, einen doppelten Regenbogen vor Tod zu sehen.
>Etwas fühlt sich verkehrt an.
>Meinst du, dass dir gefolgt würde?

>Ist es möglich, dass es einen Kerl nicht bloß dermaßen scheußlich, sondern auch böse, wie der Kretin?
>Egal die Mittel oder die erforderte Zeit werde ich ihm richtiges Urteil bringen.
>Wenn es je auf dem Erde eine vollkommen gute Person lebte, die war sie.
>Wie ist es möglich, dass jemandem so großzügig und liebvoll wie sie, so etwas zustoßen kann?
>Man hat gesagt, seine letzten Worte an sie, bevor er von einer Schussmannschaft (?) hingerichtet wurde, waren „(?)“.

How did I forget the image

Attached: Screenshot_20181127-211050.png (1440x2560, 178K)

bump

it's just a bad week for /lang/
I guess everyone is on the d*scord server or some shit

>tijd voor blogposten
zou erger kunnen zijn
ik zou geen stamppot kunnen hebben
gelukkig heb ik stamppot net gegeten :3
maar morgen moet ik weer koken en ik heb geen idee wat of wat ik nodig heb
misschien iets met rijst ofzo, iets wat massaal kan gekookt worden

Attached: 1519857807070.png (657x527, 44K)

Odio veramente il mio lavoro
Ho perso oggi tutto il mio tempo
Smetilla di urlare a quel gatto
La scimmia e' scappata dallo zoo
Appena sono tutti scomparso

Da poco ho visuto questo film e mi e' piaciuto
Oggi ho fatto un giro
Questa musica e' piu alta, mi fa il mal di testa
Ha detto che stavo pensando che ha fatto la cosa giusta
Se ascoltassi tu avrebbe saputo che questo e' ovviamente sbagliato

Or maybe - what if - hold on - wait for it - what if maybe - just maybe - now hear me out - perhaps - is it possible that - it just might be the case that - now listen to this - consider the following - check this out - perchance - mayhaps - mayhaps the sheep finally got tired of feeding unintelligent frogposters with attention?

I don't see an issue with that

Attached: 1519856923285.png (612x491, 98K)

partially agree, anyway we need more Spurdo on this website.

Attached: 1539346512847.jpg (960x805, 556K)

could you tell me what kind accent this guy has youtube.com/watch?v=-IzKR7lHMBw ?
his About page says he's studying in Rotterdam but I don't think that's Rotterdam accent
or is it?

>I guess everyone is on the d*scord server or some shit
Well, that too, but personally it was the shitfest that was the domain split that had me occupied for the last few days. I was working around to migrate my Jow Forums shit and writing a new TW for cross-domain use that took my time so I did not come to /lang/. And then of course they implement it (only it doesn't work properly) and I have to can it all and try to fix it to match their new shit and then /lang/ died several times for no apparent reason, and I just honestly can't be arsed with anything anymore.

/rant

Attached: 1526656121356.jpg (353x248, 20K)

Sounds like ABN to me.
For reference
youtube.com/watch?v=UZryrt9UyKE

I live in Rotterdam, the way he speaks just feels like generic urban Dutch to me, like how you can find people in New York and LA that speak basically the same

Check out the Norwegian clips. and Danish too, I suppose

youtube.com/watch?v=7MZxXbTnEYI
youtube.com/watch?v=pIc6e4PBsPk

I wasn't saying he has a Rotterdam accent, he just sounds different from most Dutch people I hear, like his r is super soft and words sounds much more...I dunno, strung together, it's like one big sausage of a sentence
but maybe it's an artifact of his recording or so

youtube.com/watch?v=kXfMWxBbgbw

>migrate my Jow Forums shit and writing a new TW for cross-domain use
w-wut are you on about user
I only have Jow Forums X and that's working fine, they just fucked us over with the pass

>w-wut are you on about user
What I said.

>I only have Jow Forums X and that's working fine
Yes, because 4chanX is it's own layer on top of Jow Forums via a userscript and all settings are saved in the script engine storage as opposed to local storage on each domain, so it works wherever you go, between sessions, history clearing and reboots. Think of what I said as me trying to make the vanilla thread watcher work like that, because that's essentially what I worked on.
t. vanilla Jow Forums user

>geen belgische vd die naar je naam haarzelf dood lacht
youtube.com/watch?v=Yxe84TqqX-I

ik kan die jongen aan de telefoon bijna niet begrijpen
>maar bon
120% schattig

Attached: 1535974953695.png (754x606, 409K)

Pick Yiddish

Swar-thee

Rth isn't really it's own sound

Did they really duck over pass users?

Gotta discord link?

Attached: 65d.png (434x327, 32K)

>>Ho perso oggi
Put the adverb first, it sounds infitely better
>>Appena sono tutti scomparso
Completely wrong, correct would be "Tutti sono appena/semplicemente scomparsi". Tried rereading yours a bit to try and see where it came from but I just can't understand.
>>ho visuto
Should be "visto", your sounds way too similar to "vissuto" which is the PP of the verb "vivere", to live
>>un giro
Correct, but hike is better translated as "gita, escursione"
>>piu alta
Should be "troppo alta", "più" is a comparative
>>che stavo pensando
Rest is somewhat correct, but this is completely wrong. Should be "di aver pensato di fare"
>>avrebbe saputo
Should be "Se tu avessi ascoltato, avresti saputo"

Overall REALLY nice job

Attached: 1542484375537.png (998x799, 374K)

>28 replies
>page 7

discord.gg/4XTmZ63

Someone find the anti-discord leaf to keep the thread bumped with his autism

He's insane but must be pretty smart considering he's learning some really weird conlang

Found him

Seems impossible to learn desu Havent heard of half of the sounds required to pronounce it

>Gibt es heute Obst zum Verkauf?
Gibt es heute Obst im Angebot?
>Ich habe einen Apfel geschmissen und es ist auf der Straße gerollt.
Ich habe einen Apfel fallenlassen und er ist die Straße runtergerollt.
>Könntest du bitte das noch ein Mal sagen?
einmal
>Kann irgendjemand meine Schwester von der Arbeit holen?
abholen
>Er hat meine Lieblingsvase gestohlen, das heißt, die, die meine Halbschwester mir geschenkt hat.
nämlich or also feels a bit more natural than das heißt here
>Es ist unglaublich selten, einen doppelten Regenbogen vor Tod zu sehen.
...Regenbogen zu sehen, bevor man stirbt.
>Etwas fühlt sich verkehrt an. Meinst du, dass dir gefolgt würde?
Ich habe irgendwie ein ungutes Gefühl. Meinst du, dass jemand dich verfolgt?
>Ist es möglich, dass es einen Kerl nicht bloß dermaßen scheußlich, sondern auch böse, wie der Kretin?
Ist es möglich, dass es jemanden gibt, der nicht nur so hässlich, sondern auch so böse ist wie dieser Schwachmat?
Kretin is hardly a word in German
>Egal die Mittel oder die erforderte Zeit werde ich ihm richtiges Urteil bringen.
Egal wie, egal wie lange es dauert, ich werde ihn zur Rechenschaft ziehen.
>Wenn es je auf dem Erde eine vollkommen gute Person lebte, die war sie.
Wenn es jemals einen wirklich guten Menschen auf dieser Erde gab, dann war sie es.
>Wie ist es möglich, dass jemandem so großzügig und liebvoll wie sie, so etwas zustoßen kann?
Wie konnte jemandem, der so großherzig und gütig ist wie sie, nur so etwas zustoßen?
>Man hat gesagt, seine letzten Worte an sie, bevor er von einer Schussmannschaft (?) hingerichtet wurde, waren „(?)“.
Seine letzten Worte an sie sollen "Pass auf Emily auf" gewesen sein, bevor er vom Erschießungskommando hingerichtet wurde.

>zum verkauf
What does zum even mean here? This word outside of "to the" kills me

>What does zum even mean here?
for, as in, for sale

vocaroo.com/i/s1jYCw3nHZSj
these are obviously not the only sounds I have difficulty with, they're just the ones that get me the most. sorry about the late reply, hopefully you're still there

What about
>ich bin zum tot geworden
Last one, I promise

>ich bin zum tot geworden

this doesn't mean anything because it's wrong.

Tod geworden, rather. Pulled that one from an overly cited quote

>Ich bin zum Tod* geworden
That would be like that quote, ''I am become death''

What are you trying to say? That you became dead?

Ah, shit, didn't see your other post, yeah, I am become death - Ich bin zum Tod geworden

Death, as in the grim repaer
>jetzt bin ich zum Tod geworden, der Zerstörer der Welten

seems correct to me

so your question is why it's Ich bin zum Tod geworden and not, like Ich bin der Tod geworden?

>hopefully you're still here
bedposting
but...there's nothing really wrong with how you're saying them; what is the issue? do you just not like how your pronounce them?
the only thing I can say is that they sound a bit...well I dunno how to describe it, but I guess less pronounced? like the "errr" isn't as hard but I don't see it as an issue desu, whichever way you'd go from there you'd have to start debating what kind of English accent you want to have

after listening a few more times I think I get what you mean, for example I think if you said just "stone" and not "hearth stone", the s would be clearer or so, same with w in fourth wall

at the moment I can only recommend that you slow them down and get them to sound how you want them to sound but individually

but really overall it sounded more than fine to me; note that getting rid of your accent is no easy feat and it's not done overnight
if you're around tomorrow maybe I can give them a go and somehow clarify what I mean

Attached: 1538319151794.png (713x809, 81K)

As opposed to "ich bin Tod geworden"

ha

>As opposed to "ich bin Tod geworden"
that's grammatically wrong though

Don't worry bro I dont think I've ever used the word swarthy in my 23 years of life

So what's the difference between that and something like "ich bin krank geworden"

Tod is a noun, krank is an adjective

>ich bin behindert geworden
but
>ich bin zum Behinderten geworden

So zum is required for nouns just because? (sincere question if I sound like a dick) Trying to figure out a rule for when to use zum in general

this is more than enough, thank you. I'm going to start practicing it like you suggested
>the only thing I can say is that they sound a bit...well I dunno how to describe it, but I guess less pronounced? like the "errr" isn't as hard but I don't see it as an issue desu, whichever way you'd go from there you'd have to start debating what kind of English accent you want to have
you're right, I've never noticed that before. I guess I get lazy with sounds like P and D since they're slightly different from their respectives in Portuguese and I even forget about them sometimes. I've never noticed the R thing but definitely will try to work on it

this is actually somewhat comforting lol thanks

oh, how rude of me. sleep tight!

>So zum is required for nouns just because?
not necessarily

>ich bin Richter geworden
>ich bin ein Richter geworden
>ich bin der Richter geworden
>ich bin zum Richter geworden

are all possible depending on the context. generally werden with zum or zur emphasizes the process, or change, of becoming something. e.g. VOM Anwalt ZUM Richter werden, or ich bin über die Jahre zum Shitposter geworden etc.

So it's more emphasis, and for other things like zum verkauf that's just more of a memorization thing rather than strictly following some sort of rule. Anyway thanks for the replies

can someone give me a list of essential vocabulary I need to master?

Like colors, profesions, part of body, family, pets, animals, plants, locations, bussiness, weather, dates, verbs, adjectives, colors, daily stuff, things in the house, cleaning objects, groceries, emotions.

anything else?

Like emotions, groceries, cleaning objects, things in the house, daily stuff, colors, adjectives, verbs, dates, weather, bussiness, locations, plants, animals, pets, family, part of body, professions, colors etc.

fluent-forever.com/the-method/vocabulary/base-vocabulary-list/

can translate helppp????
my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Almost lost my Duolingo streak, but I saved it just in time

glad you found your streak again user
after I think 2 weeks I was out

kantoor bump

I'm high as shit you guys still make me bump

Este año he tomado clases de Españpol y aprendi mucho. Sin embargo, no se como mejorar de ahora, sin clases. Las empiezan proximo marzo y necesito practicar mucho porque voy a vivir en Colombia en 12 meses.

Quien tiene consejo para mi?

>remember Dutch
>come back to /lang/ after hiatus
>allochtoon is still posting
Leuk

RIGHTEOUS bump

Hello everyone.
Today I'd like to discuss idioms involving "less", "short", "other" in order to express litotes.

As you know there are some expressions in English which use so-called double denial.
"She is no less beautiful than her mother."
"He is no less a person than the president."
"It is nothing less than murder."
"His success was little/nothing short of miraculous."
"None other than the president in person attended the meeting."

These are used to emphasize speaker's affirmative notion euphemistically.

Then some question struck me; I wonder whether I can use "none less than", and "nothing other than".

That is, I think that other combinations of "no-pronoun"(nothing, none, no one) and less/short/other etc. can give to listeners the same effect.
Specifically(So it is ok that you just judge whether they are good or bad, but I'd be glad if you give me some detail) I'd like to ask you about the legitimacy of what I presented you above.

For example;
"You said in your company you had brilliant staff. However it seems that there are none less than humble, lowly labours of the bottom of the hierarchy."
In this case "none" is "none of the personnel".
"He has nothing other than a trophy for his triumph."

However, I also think that these expressions which are made through such a deductive method are not so idiomatic, even though you can understand what they imply.
Any thoughts?

Today I wrote 3 sentences

anyone learning swedish? I'm a few months in and really enjoying it.