Do South African Whites generally understand Bantu languages as well? What is the language used to communicate in say...

Do South African Whites generally understand Bantu languages as well? What is the language used to communicate in say, the marketplace, between Blacks and Whites? Afrikaans?

Attached: 1599px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png (1599x1066, 7K)

Don't they just avoid each other mostly? I dunno any Saffers on? You use english to cross culture communicate?

Why Afrikaans, is not English more popular there?

>Do South African Whites generally understand Bantu languages as well?
Generally no, most whites speak Afrikaans and English, less than 5% speak other languages as a mother tongue (and that includes European languages such as Dutch, Portuguese or German)
Generally the lingua franca between different South African races would be the province language (i.e. Zulu in KwaZulu-Natal, Xhosa in Eastern Cape, Setswana in North-West, etc.), but when it comes to whites in would be just English and Afrikaans because most whites live in Gauteng and Cape Town

Distribution of the population by first language spoken (percentage):
IsiZulu 22.7%
IsiXhosa 16.0%
Afrikaans 13.5%
English 9.6%
Sepedi 9.1%
Setswana 8.0%
Sesotho 7.6%
Xitsonga 4.5%
SiSwati 2.5%
Tshivenda 2.4%
IsiNdebele 2.1%
Other 1.6%
Sign Language 0.5%

no

english.
afrikaans if you are in a super predominant white racist area, but black south africans don't like being spoken to or speaking in afrikaans.
whites don't bother learning bantu languages. many, many blacks over the age of ~30 can hold a conversation in afrikaans due to it being mandatory in school during apartheid, so during apartheid afrikaans would be the language between people groups

everyone speaks english to communicate with one another. this post is accurate some indians and coloureds pick up the regional bantu language like here in Durban quite a number of Indians and Coloureds understand Zulu, some are even fluent. I guess some white people are like that but they usually just know the bare minimum. then you get the special cases such as when a white kid picks up Zulu from their nanny.

>what is used to communicate
kalashnikovs
what would a nigger and a white industrious mechanical man talk about? what the fuck can a nigger produce? places that went full nigger cant even maintain a railway or energy infrastructure, a nigger cant build anything, he can only take stuff that white liberals give him

did a black guy steal your girl or something
chill out vladimir

ok on a serious note:
i do not believe blacks ever had a need to evolve any intellect, build better shelters and tools to survive the ice ages when tropical fruit kept falling on their black heads

you had rhodesia, a 1st world food exporter back when it was white and under international sanctions, and zimbabwe, a 3rd world starving nation now that is under blacks and full international support

Attached: mugabe.jpg (600x600, 71K)

this is misleading. this is only for first language spoken. most people in cities speak english as their second or third language. say what you will about africans being stupid, but most of them are at the very least bilingual.

I have always wandered, what do indians do in south africa? Do they plan on going back to India like whites with all that's happening?

>this is misleading. this is only for first language spoken
yeah that's why I literally said it was for first language speakers
>most people in cities speak english as their second or third language. say what you will about africans being stupid, but most of them are at the very least bilingual.
I don't think English is as widespread as you'd think it is, of course there's more people that speaks English in South Africa but as I said generally the most learned second language is the province language (there are also a lot of Zulu and Xhosa second and third speakers), maybe in Cape Town and Johannesburg English is spoken by the majority but not in the whole country.

What languages do you speak, user?

fair enough. i only ever lived in johannesburg where pretty much everyone speaks english, not much experience anywhere else

My god, read a book instead of getting all your information from Jow Forums pictures. You're retarded and you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Just about everyone speaks English and uses English as a communication bridge. The other languages are regional or in the case of Afrikaans, only spoken by whites and coloureds

Paco, stop

In rural west north kaap the lingua franca is 'frikaans

haha nigger

insults arent arguments
your post is 0% useful information, 0% arguments, just 100% insults
"no u" / 10

The cold winters hypothesis hasn't ever been taken seriously by mainstream evolutionary biologists or paleoanthropologists.

>then you get the special cases such as when a white kid picks up Zulu from their nanny.

It was antebellum American South tier and it was in South Africa

I don't want to hurt anyone, but I never understood the point of Afrikaans. Wouldn't it be better to slowly replace it by Dutch instead (it's mother language)?

why replace it?

so? it still has greater explanationary power than 'all equal xDDD' literature

To prevent it from extinction. If Afrikaans would be more understandable to Dutch and Flemings it would increase the business opportunities and thus its relevance in South-Africa. Otherwise I'm afraid it will be replaced by English.

Afrikaans is just Dutch though

>replace it to prevent it from extinction

what?

is right. afrikaans is so close to dutch that business can be done

So a language evolves from another and then evolves back into it. Brilliant.

is right