/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language are you learning?
>Easy is not easy!
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!

Ignore this:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki
Bait link do not click:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
By posting this same question every time
>Will I learn a language by using Duolingo five minutes a day while taking a shit
Most definitely
>Should I learn X to get a qt wife/gf (male) etc?
Yes, it will guarantee the acquisition and retention of a qt
>Should I learn multiple languages at the same time?
Learn 3 or more at once to be efficient
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
Yes, it is not a waste of time at all
>What is the most useful language?
Not German
>What language should I learn
Not Dutch

old thread

Attached: 2015-04-24-10.59.51.jpg (1038x576, 139K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b7xgjLOnfN0
youtube.com/watch?v=msAcfJqyA94
youtu.be/JdPLdrNSm2E
instagram.com/p/BqB9smKgrH6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1fa70gc93btsi
languagegeek.net/2010/05/12/how-to-use-an-assimil-course)
4chanint.wikia.com/
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>page 7

Can someone just translate what this means? Google translate isn’t very useful

Oke, fadammt.
Dann wächst dank der Schwabisierung mittlerweile wohl zumindest in den wohlbehüteten Blasen dieser Stadt tatsächlich so etwas heran.

Someone who’s German, please answer this question at least — my challenges and my other questions haven’t gotten any attention from you in the last four threads. Why is ‘heranwachsen’ used here when muh Mastering German Vocabulary says that it is used when saying that someone grew up into something?

I guess the text is about Swabians moving to Berlin?

Swabians are known to be humble, yet industrious. So the influx of Swabians to Berlin creates small bubbles of prosperity.

heranwachsen is not the same as wächst heran

norwegian time

youtube.com/watch?v=b7xgjLOnfN0

> Og disse (?) staver er ... er Ragnarok.
> At der hva?
> Ragnarok.
> Vi har aldri funnet Ragnarok skrevet i runer, når i ______, når i ______.

Og det som står her er Ragnarok. Vi har aldri funnet ragnarok skrevet i runer noen gang, noen plass.

>Og det som står her... er ragnarok.
>Atter, hva?
>Ragnarok.
>Man har aldri funnet ragnarok skrevet i runer någen gang, någen plass.

Welp, outdone by the Norwegian lel
good thing, pls take over from me, I've done too many of these vids

is Ragnarok capitalized or just ragnarok

It's not supposed to be capitalized.

no you must keep doing them

I can start lurking in this thread more and help out with Norwegian.

I wrote a story

> Harald er en råest vikingkriger. Siste måned har han brent og angrepet Lindisfarne.
> I dag er han tilbake hjem til Norge i et langskip. Elsa og jeg venter på ham ved havnen.

> Harald: God dag, Egil og Elsa.
> Elsa: Velkommen tilbake. Hvordan var Lindisfarne?
> Harald: Det var jo kjempegoy. Jeg har brent tre tårn og angrepet fem munker.
> Elsa: Du er veldig modig.
> Egil: Det hores morsomt ut.
> Harald: Nå skal jeg gå til baren og drikke ol. Ha det bra, dere to!

Harald is a fierce Viking warrior. Last month he burned and attacked Lindisfarne.
Today he is coming back home to Norway in a longship. Elsa and I are waiting for him at the harbor.

Harald: Good day, Egil and Elsa.
Elsa: Welcome back. How was Lindisfarne?
Harald: It was really fun. I burned three towers and attacked five monks.
Elsa: You are very brave.
Egil: That sounds fun.
Harald: Now I will go to the bar and drink beer. Goodbye, you two!

i'm planning to end up with knowing 8 languages before i die, is that a lot?

I can't decide between french and german to learn as my 3º language. Can anyone help me with this?

u can do whatever u want bby

Give me a language to learn /lang/. I like English and enjoy the sound of languages that have a machine gun rythm to them.

Pick French.

Nooo I don't want to go back to work

you think it's possible for me to learn french, spanish, italian, russian and japanese before i die? i already know dutch, german and english

>the sound of languages that have a machine gun rythm to them.

unironically filipino
youtube.com/watch?v=msAcfJqyA94

if you want something that'll actually benefit you though maybe chinese

I planned on 5, portuguese, english, french, german and a dead language like Latin or greek. I'm on my way to the third now.

I was wondering the same. I decided to learn french mainly because of french literature, even though German is as culturally rich I choose to learn it after french.

If it helps you, what are your motivations to learn a new language? I chose french for the literature and cinema, besides, it's a country that I plan to visit someday.

I will get a grasp of the language through French In Action videos accompanied with Anki, Duolingo and Memrise. Then I will start Assimil for more advanced lessons. I've been thinking of adding FSI French Phonology course too so that I can sound more fluent but the it looks a bit outdated idk. Maybe I will do it while doing Assimil.

I hope to get B2 level by the end of the next year.

Any tips bros?

/deutsch/, what's the difference between "verwenden" and "nutzen"? read it in a book a couple months ago

/deutsch/, was ist der unterschied zwischen die woerte "verwenden" und "nutzen", ich las das vor ein paar monate in einem buch von wittgenstein

>Greek
>dead language

Ancient Greek, my mistake.

He probably meant Ancient Greek. Don't take my word for it though.

youtu.be/JdPLdrNSm2E

Replying to the swede from other thread that seems to think Swedish isnt a walk in the park for German speakers

>The thing you seem to believe is that it's a walk in the park for a Germanic speaker to learn another Germanic language because of overlapping vocab, which is in reality a minor advantage factor.

Nice assumption you have there of what "i think"

>The biggest difference lies in grammar and syntax, and that can be a big hill to climb for some people.

Lmao in what ways is swedish grammar and syntax challenging for a German speaker? Swedish grammar and syntax is piss easy even for an english speaker its no problem for a German. Again let go of your pride

How does one find a serious spanish discords server with an active voice chat?
I have been trying for weeks now, and all i find are videogame servers.
Btw language learning servers don't count, everybody there speaks english.

If you have at least 5 years left to live, yes

>French In Action videos accompanied with Anki, Duolingo and Memrise. Then I will start Assimil for more advanced lessons

I just googled french in action and it looks dumb as shit with 1990's tier method of learning a language aka "le full immersion meme" that made rosetta stone so shit. I would recommend doing anki, duolingo, and memrise and if you want to use french in action its fine just dont expect to get much out of it beside hearing comprehension.

Im also currently learning french using assimil after reaching C1 in german and already know spanish. I would say if you choose to use assimil find a portuguese to french book not english to french. Im learning french using the spanish to french book

My only complaint about assimil is that the translations arent even more literal and they translate some idioms or expressions using different words. And that assimil hardly teaches you any important grammar , but so far i feel like im learning fast.

Well Germany, Austria, and switzerland are all objectively better countries than france with more opportunity, for a poor nigga. Also there are small enclaves of german speakers in Brazil so I'd choose german if i was a Brazilian nigga

i'm 19 and i think i'll live longer than to my 24 so sweet. i'm starting early next year with french

Last year i learned french and then i went on a 3 month bicycle trip to france, it was really fun.

sounds really lovely my friend. my plan is to visit normandy and britanny

This is the route i did
instagram.com/p/BqB9smKgrH6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1fa70gc93btsi

>Im 19

8 languages isnt a lot at all then, I wish i gave a fuck about languages at 19

Can disgusting con-lang learners participate?

Attached: lgr.jpg (1065x859, 76K)

looks like a very comfy route from what i know of the area.
thanks for the moral support america man

America man

Attached: america man.jpg (215x300, 15K)

>sidan 7

bump

based

Thx for the reply, brother.

>I just googled french in action and it looks dumb as shit with 1990's tier method of learning a language aka "le full immersion meme" that made rosetta stone so shit

I know FIA is silly, it's not meant to be the best way to learn or something. And I'm aware of its flaws, although it's a well regarded begginer tool in r/french and it is mentioned on our wiki, it seems that the course is a bit outdated. I don't know how many videos you watched but the difficulty progressively increases as the course goes on. Again, i'm not saying it's the best way nor the only way and that's why I also took Anki, Memrise and Duolingo as you stated.
It's more a complementary option that I decided to use for the sake of hearing comprehension as you also said.

>Im also currently learning french using assimil after reaching C1 in german and already know spanish. I would say if you choose to use assimil find a portuguese to french book not english to french. Im learning french using the spanish to french book

Congrats, american brother. I aspire to learn German one day too.
Luckily, we have an european portuguese to french Assimil course that works the same way for brazilian portuguese.
There's a technique of learning one language using another called laddering, it seems legit but considering I have the opportunity to get it on my native tongue, I won't dismiss it.

>My only complaint about assimil is that the translations arent even more literal and they translate some idioms or expressions using different words. And that assimil hardly teaches you any important grammar , but so far i feel like im learning fast.

I didn't make further researches on Assimil for I was sure that it was good (the wiki highly recommends it). Thanks for the heads up.

>bagina 8

New challenges

Esy pesy lemon skvezy
>I have a dog
>This is a problem
>How was your day?
>I'm walking in the city
>the duck is big

Slightly less esy pesy lemon skvezy
>How did you get so much malware on your phone?
>I would like to buy a house
>I went to church on Christmas
>The hospital is to the west of my house
>That film was rather good

Medium
>This town has nice architecture, but is way too full of tourists
>Color photos used to be made by combining a photo with a green filter, a photo with a red filter, and a photo with a blue filter
>She said that she didn't have her textbook with her
>My washing machine is broken, i'm gonna have to buy a new one
>Why don't you come with us to the theater, there's a new musical, and i've heard it's good

Hard
>I needed 3 hours to assemble this chair from Ikea and it ended up looking awful despite my efforts
>This book with parallel texts is useless because it's full of archaisms

stop1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I habe einen Hund
> Das isch ein Problem
> Wie war dini Tag?
> I gehe in d'Stadt
> D'Ente isch gross.

whats wrong with vidya servers? and there is a /lat/ discord

would you rather have the thread be archived?

>learning using assimil
is there a better way to use Assimil than the instructions they give you? what do when you still have trouble understanding what you hear?

oh that's a thing I wanted to ask a conlanger. since I see people do it all day everyday, what actually is the joy in it? you'll only ever talk to the maybe 5 people who speak the same incomplete conlang and you might aswell use that time to learn a more explorable language. and I guess that's a personal thing, but I personally never found it fun to just make shit up until it suits me, don't know what's the use in that.

>is there a better way to use Assimil than the instructions they give you?

Not him but it seems that most if not all Assimils courses lack instructions or at least more in depht explanations on how to get the most out of the book.

Searching I found this site (languagegeek.net/2010/05/12/how-to-use-an-assimil-course) that discuss about the issue, it seems that the dutch edition of Assimil actually have more instructions than the other versions.
If it doesn't solve your problem, I found some resources just by searching on duckduckgo and youtube.

>what do when you still have trouble understanding what you hear?

See the site.
IMO it should come naturally as the course goes on. If you are really struggling to understand and don't like the feel of it, focus on more hearing comprehension on youtube.

私は犬が持ってます
これは大変です
お元気ですか?
私は町で散歩する
家鴨が大きいですね

>Ich habe ein Hund
>Dies ist ein problem
>Wie war deinen Tag?
>Ich gehe in das Stadt
>Das duck ist Gro(ss)

>Wie hast du so viel malware auf deinen Hand gebekommt?
>I will einen Haus kaufen
>Ich habe auf Weinachten zu Kirche gehen.
>Das Krankenhaus ist zu links um zu meinen Haus
>Das Film war besonderes gut

>Diese Stadt hat tun Architektur, aber es ist zu voll von Turisten.
>Farbbilder war macht mit einem kombination von Bilde und einem grun filter (uh), einem Bild mit Blau tor filter, und einem Bild mit Blau filter.
Sie hat sagt, dass sie seinem textbok mit sich nicht hatte.
>Mein Waschmaschine ist zerstört, Ich soll einen neu ein kaufen.
>Kom mit uns zu das Theater, es ist einen neue Musikal, Ich habe es ist tun gehort.

>Ich brauchtet 3 Stunde mit einem Stuhl aus Ikea zu sammling, und in der ende es sah ganz hasslich aus, obwohl meinem Anstrengungen.
>Dies Buch mit parallele texter ist nutzlos, weil es voll von Archaismen ist.

LETS FUCKING GO BABAY!! COME ONE!!!
PUMPED AS FUCK!!!

it makes me feel sad ;;

> Enwere m nkịta
> Nke a bụ nsogbu
> Olee otú ụbọchị gị dị?
> Ana m eje ije n'ime obodo
> ọbọgwụ bụ nnukwu
> Olee otú i si nweta ọtụtụ malware na ekwentị gị?
> Achọrọ m ịzụta ụlọ
> M gara chọọchị na Christmas
> Ụlọ ọgwụ dị n'ebe ọdịda anyanwụ nke ụlọ m
> Ihe nkiri ahụ dị mma
> Obodo a nwere ọmarịcha mma, ma ọ bụ ụzọ juputara na ndị njem nleta
> Akara foto a na-ejikọta site na ijikọta foto ya na nchara nchara, foto nke na-acha ọbara ọbara, na foto nke na-acha anụnụ anụnụ
> O kwuru na ya enweghi akwukwo ya na ya
> Ejila m igwe igwe, ana m agbapụta ịzụta ihe ọhụrụ
> Gịnị mere na ị gaghị eso anyị gaa ụlọ ihe nkiri ahụ, enwere egwú ọhụụ ọhụrụ, anụwokwa m na ọ dị mma
> Achọrọ m awa 3 iji kpọkọta oche a si Ikea ma bụrụ nke jọgburu onwe ya n'agbanyeghị mgbalị m
> Akwụkwọ a nwere ihe odide yiri nke a na-abaghị uru n'ihi na ọ jupụtara n'ụzọ dị iche iche

the most useful language to learn was the friends we made along the way

did you intentionally get the declensions and genders wrong?

Are you intentionally being an unhelpful cunt?

What lang is that?

No it seems like he's memeing

>Ich habe ein Hund
*einen
>Dies ist ein problem
*Das
>Wie war deinen Tag?
*dein
>Ich gehe in das Stadt
*die
>Das duck ist Gro(ss)
*Die Ente

igbo i think

> Tha ailtireachd àlainn aig a 'bhaile, ach tha e cho làn de luchd-turais
> Bidh dealbhan dathte gan cleachdadh le bhith a 'ceangal dealbh le sgiathar uaine, dealbh le sgiathar dearg, agus dealbh le sgiathar gorm
> Thuirt i nach robh a leabhran teacsa aice rithe
> Tha mo inneal nigheadaireachd briste, bidh agam ri fear ùr a cheannach
> Carson nach tig thu còmhla rinn chun taigh-cluiche, tha ceòl ùr ann, agus chuala mi gu bheil e math

are you igbo?

>tfw no gf

nope just have an autistic interest in languages/orthographies etc

Thank you

>Tengo un perro
>Esto es una problema
>Como fue tu día?
>Estoy andando en la ciudad
>El pato es grade

>Como obtuviste tan mucho malware en tu fono?
>Me gustaría comprar un casa
>Fui a la iglesia en navidad
>La hospital está a la oueste de mi casa
>Esa pelicula era bastante bueno

>Este pueblo tiene architecura bonita pero tiene demasiado más turistas
>Fotos colores solía ser hizo combinando una foto con un filtro verde, una foto con un filtro rojo y una foto con un filtro azul
>Ella dijo que no tenía su libro de texto con ella
>Mi lavadora esta rompero. voy a tener que comprar un uno nuevo
>Por que no vienes con nosotros a la teatro? hay un nueva musical y he oido que es bueno

>Necesitaba 3 horas para ensamblar esta silla de Ikea y terminó mirando terrible a pesar de mis esfuerzas
>Este libro con textos paralelas es inútil porque es lleno de arcaísmos

Does anyone have a mega of James Heisig’s Rembering Simplified Hanzi Books 1 & 2? I would appreciate it.

Attached: 465FFBBB-E9D2-48F6-84EF-9BF2327C05A6.gif (320x400, 1.84M)

Serbo-Croatian
Gonna do it in Cyrillic to spice it up

Имaм пca
Oвo јe пpoблeм
кaкaв биo ти дaн?
хoдaм y гpaдy
Пaткa јe вeликa

Кaкo cи дoшao тaкo пyнo мaлвep нa твoјим тeлeфoнoм?
жeлим дa кyпeм кyћe
Биo caм y цpквy нa бoжићa
Бoлecницa јe зaпaд мoјe кyћe
Taј филм јe (I really couldn't find a word for 'rather' in this context) дoбap

Oнa јe peћилa дa oнa нeмa нeзин yджбeницe c нјoм
Oвo мecтo имa лeпy apхитeктypy aли, пyн јe тypиcтимa
cликe нa бoјe били cy cтвopeн ca кoмбиниpaти cликy ca seлeнoм филтepoм, cликy ca цpвeнoм филтepoм, и cликy ca плaвoм филтepoм
Moјa пepилицa нe јoш paди, мopaм дa кyпeм нoвy пepилицy
жacтo нe дoђeш ca нaмa нa кaжaлиcтe,Имa нoви мycикл и јa caм чyao(past tense of čuti) дa јe дoбap

Please someone correct it this time
>Ich habe einen Hund.
>Das ist ein Problem.
>Wie war dein Tag?
>Ich gehe in der Stadt.
>Die Ente ist groß.

>Wie hast du dir so viel Viren auf deinem Handy gekriegt?
>Ich möchte ein Haus kaufen.
>Das Krankenhaus ist im Westen meines Haus.
>Der Film war eher gut.

>Die Stadt hat schöne Architektur, aber sie ist voller Touristen.
>Farbbilder pflegten kreiert zu werden, indem ein Foto mit einem grünen Filter, ein Foto mit einem roten Filter, und ein Foto mit einem blauen Filter verknüpft wurden.
>Sie hat gesagt, sie hatte ihr Schulbuch mit.
>Meine Waschmaschine ist kaputt, ich werde mir eine Neue kaufen müssen.
>Warum kommst du nicht mit uns ins Theater, es gibt ein neues Musical, und ich habe gehört, dass es gut ist.

>Ich habe 3 Stunden gebraucht, um diesen Stuhl von Ikea zusammenzusetzen, und schließlich sieht er trotz meiner Mühe furchtbar aus.
>Dieses Buch mit Paralleltexten (?) ist nutzlos, weil es voller Archaismen ist.

What language should I learn in 2019?

Attached: 8ptbh2ta10fz.jpg (640x640, 48K)

why wait for 2019 :^)

Deutsch

Finnish

bls

Ich hol mir meine Pizza aus dem Backofen und dann seh ich mir das an, gib mir ein paar Minuten

Reminder that the wiki won't get good unless (you) contribute to it
4chanint.wikia.com/
4chanint.wikia.com/
4chanint.wikia.com/

>>Esto es un problema
>>Como estuvo tu día? (Its not bad how you said it, but this sounds better)
>>El pato es grande
>>Como obtuviste tanto malware en tu celular? (fono is really informal)
>>Me gustaría comprar una casa
>>El hospital está al oeste de mi casa
>>Este pueblo tiene arquitectura bonita pero está demasiado lleno de turistas
>>Las fotos a color solían hacerse combinando una foto con un filtro verde, una foto con un filtro rojo y una foto con un filtro azul (check out this one you had more than 1 mistake)
>>Mi lavadora esta rota. voy a tener que comprar una nueva (be careful with irregular verboids)
>>Por que no vienes con nosotros al teatro? hay un nueva musical y he oido que es bueno
>>he necesitado 3 horas para ensamblar esta silla de Ikea y terminó viendose terrible a pesar de mis esfuerzos
>>Este libro con textos paralelos es inútil porque está lleno de arcaísmos
Keep it up, anglobro!

Burmese

bump

I mean how good could it get? I might make a LWT guide pic.

So which is the non-colloquial word for ‘to doze off’?

Attached: Screenshot_20181228-000545-01.jpg (1532x240, 137K)

*big sigh*

Attached: Screenshot_20181228-001333-01.jpg (1440x1572, 584K)

rip allochtoon

Tsez

Navajo

einnicken/einschlafen

>Navajo
Moses pls go

Thanks.

>> Dette er et problem
>> Hvordan var din dag? (Det er ikke dårligt, hvordan du sagde det, men det lyder bedre)
>> Anden er stor
>> Hvordan fik du så meget malware på din telefon? (telefon er virkelig uformel)
>> Jeg vil gerne kobe et hus
>> Hospitalet er vest for mit hus
>> Denne by har smuk arkitektur, men det er for fuld af turister
>> Farvefotografier blev brugt ved at kombinere et foto med et gront filter, et foto med et rodt filter og et foto med et blåt filter (tjek den her havde du mere end 1 fejl)
>> Min vaskemaskine er brudt. Jeg bliver nodt til at kobe en ny (vær forsigtig med uregelmæssigheder)
>> Hvorfor kommer du ikke med til teatret? der er en ny musikalsk og jeg har hort det er godt
>> Jeg har brug for 3 timer til at samle denne Ikea stol og endte med at se forfærdelig på trods af min indsats
>> Denne bog med parallelle tekster er ubrugelig, fordi den er fuld af arkaismier

>Ich gehe in der Stadt.
die Stadt
>Wie hast du dir so viel Viren auf deinem Handy gekriegt?
Wie hast du so viele Viren auf dein(em) Handy gekriegt?

Wie hast du dir so viele Viren auf deinem Handy eingefangen?
(Note that this is the same way you would ask about actual bacteria, it works in that context too though.)
>Das Krankenhaus ist im Westen meines Haus.
Das Krankenhaus liegt westlich von meinem Haus.
Das Krankenhaus ist westlich von meinem Haus.
Das Krankenhaus liegt von meinem Haus aus westlich/im Westen.
>Farbbilder pflegten kreiert zu werden, indem ein Foto mit einem grünen Filter, ein Foto mit einem roten Filter, und ein Foto mit einem blauen Filter verknüpft wurden.
Lmao at "pflegten kreiert zu werden." It definitely isn't incorrect but way too, ahem, poetical? Yea, I think that's the word.
Just say something like
Früher wurdem Farbbilder erstellt, indem ...
Farbbilder wurden zu damaligen Zeiten erstellt, indem ...
>Sie hat gesagt, sie hatte ihr Schulbuch mit.
Just forgot a "nicht" there
>Ich habe 3 Stunden gebraucht, um diesen Stuhl von Ikea zusammenzusetzen, und schließlich sieht er trotz meiner Mühe furchtbar aus.
Korrekt but you could minimise the last bit to
und trotz meiner Mühe sieht er (nun) furchtbar aus.

Sorry, took too long to look over it. Will be quicker next time. Well done though.

Esy pesy lemon skvezy
>Tengo un Perro.
>Esto es un problema.
>¿Cómo era tu día?
>Estoy caminando en la ciudad.
>el pato es grande

Slightly less esy pesy lemon skvezy
>¿Cómo conseguiste bastante malware en su celular?
>Me gustaría comprar una casa.
>Fuí a la iglesia en la Navidad.
>El hospital es al oeste de mi casa.
>Esa película fue (insert word Gere) bueno.

Medium
>Esta puebla tiene arquitectura genial, pero esta demasiadisimo lleno de turistas.
>Fotos de color era creado por combinando un foto con un filtro verde, un foto con un filtro rojo, y un foto con un filtro azul.
>Ella dijo que no tenía su libro de texto con ella.
>Mi lavadora está rato, voy a deber que compre un nuevo.
>¿Quizas puedes venir con nosotros al escenario? Hay un musical nuevo, y he escuchado que es bueno.

Hard
>Necesité tres horas para construir esta silla de Ikea y resultó mal para mirar, aunque traté.
>Esto libro con textos paraleles es inútil porque esta llena de archismos.

Hoping someone can correct me and the other spanish translator.

Thank you a lot. Why is ‘viel’ inflected in the example with the viruses?

Nvm someone already corrected the other guy.

I'm dropping German in favor of Spanish.

Attached: 1534290617362.jpg (400x368, 25K)

Hebrew

How come?