Redpill me on the vim vs. emacs question

Redpill me on the vim vs. emacs question

Attached: Richard_Stallman_-_Preliminares_2013.jpg (667x1000, 550K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

fucking dumb. just use whatever you happen to learn first.

Ok back to Microsoft Word for me

I tried them both from the command line for a few minutes each. I was able to figure out how to use Vim in a few minutes. I wasn't able to figure out how to use emacs. The GUI version of Emacs works fine.

Evil mode master race

vim > emacs
go on

I mean of the two text editors you just stated.
if you learn emacs first, use emacs. if you learn vim first, use vim. it makes no difference.

This, just don't ever think about using nano you fucking pleb.

Attached: heretical.jpg (780x658, 62K)

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow. They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'. So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard. Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED! Ed is the standard text editor.

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage. Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA! ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES! ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!! ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR! ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code! I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor". Not a "emacsitor". Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi? No. Emacs? Surely
you jest. They chose the most karmic editor of all. The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on. If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs. If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi. If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION. THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS. DO NOT GIVE IN!!! THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

Just use nano

Vim is quicker to pick up.
Emacs is more extensible.

Unironically, I would use ed on a 110 baud teletype.

emacs RSI
vim comfy
That's it.

>I wasn't able to figure out how to use emacs.
I'm so sorry user, we don't have a medical treatment for stupidity yet.

Attached: splash.png (958x1028, 76K)

consider emacs if you want to take simple notes with org-mode, there's not much there that can compete with it, also markdown is for children.

there's no question your thread is shit try both to see why

This. I used to have a pretty minimal .vimrc and no plugins whatsoever.
I also often went to emacs but never stayed longer than a week because of the inane keybindings. And I was jelly of emacs dank packages like swiper, and the chad elisp is way cooler than the virgin vimscript.
As I tried adding plugins, it became a clusterfuck, and some plugins have emacs tier keybindings.
Then I gave evilmode a try, and I use emacs as a "better vim" instead of neovim or whatever.

>Blue collars wreck their back and knees everyday
>They just chill and crack a cold one after work

>nerds sit and type on a keyboard
>They cry about getting RSI and buy vertical mouses, kinetic keyboards and emacs pedals.

We're basically the male version of those tumblr chicks claiming they have PTSD over mean comments online.

>people overstrain their backs and knees every day, so overstraining your arms is impossible
You're basically a male version of a retard.

Why should I waste my time learning emacs when I already figured out Vim?

>Why should I learn how to walk when I already know how to crawl?

If I want to walk I'll use a GUI text editor.

>not using nano

Attached: apu drool.png (669x514, 25K)

>learning text editors
just use notepad lmao

Even the unix devs abandoned ed, use acme instead.
vi is smaller, faster, and does one thing and does it well. It has good regex support and is superior to emacs. The only problem is vimscript which is cancer, but you should use a mostly vanilla vim with as few plugins as possible (imho some are needed though, because the pure vim way is unintuitive). This can be solved with neovim and lua/python plugins without breaking compatibility with vimscript.

Emacs is a gross OS, it is a heavyweight LISP machine. It has dumb defaults so you basically have to rice it and port your config over everytime. LISP is better than vimscript but it's not worth the extra ricing burden. Vanilla settings with no packages just won't do, unlike vi where even if your (hopefully few) plugins aren't present, you can still do work.

this. you should use sublime unless you need to ssh then use nano

emacs evil mode

> uses LISP instead of Lisp
I see you have a deep knowledge of the subject

*off to the gas chambers*

I love vim, I wish I could be productive as I am with VSCode + vim-plugin with only vim, but I don't want to install 30 packages to be able to do what a simple IDE does.

I wish I had a good reason to use Spacemacs, it looks good and key layout is comfy. But I didn't had any reason to leave VSCode + vim plugin (I have one, VSCode eat too much of my RAM, actually, but it is much nicer the Emacs for beginners).

Seriously now, help me become a nail eater nigga

How does org mode compare to Microsoft one note?

>If I want to walk I'll use a wheelchair

It's something that fat people argue about. Healthy people just use nano/micro.

Why do I need to bother with anything but vi?

emacs:
>provides server
>lisp server
>featureful
>popular in type orientated programming

vim:
>optional server functionality but mostly many processes
>dumb scripting language
>minimalist(ic)
>compatibility with ex
>vi keys

the former is pretty useful to me but ideally the only monolithic server i'm interacting with in a text based environment is tmux. i prefer the latter because it's what i learned. it however has poor language support in my experience if you want to use plugins (the advent of language server is sure to change things at least) and you might appreciate the appeal of using the former as an email client/etc. basically depends on your philosophy imho and what you're prepared to learn.

>dumb scripting language
it's not that bad, once you're sufficient with vim you have so many shortcuts at your fingertips. it's a little bit like regex with functions thrown on top.

relative to emacs lisp surely.

Vi-like users use their program to edit text; emacs users edit text to use their program.

Emacs is a poor attempt to provide lispmachine-like environment, e.g. youtube.com/watch?v=o4-YnLpLgtk
it has all the goodies, but the implementation for graphics stack it very poor and it's written in the worst Lisp dialect with very poor performance. The whole thing is slow and laggy, buffers jumps out all over the place making it harder to navigate actual file buffers. Emacs lovers will tell you that it's easy to fix with just a few hundreds configuration lines and bazillion plugins. It doesn't try to interact with underlying OS directly, but rather has it's own implementations and abstract layers for everything.

Vim came from vi - combination of vi(sual editor, with modal editing) and ex(tended line exitor - like ed but improved). First thing you will notice is that Vim adds more text objects that allow editing with semantic shortcuts (di( = delete inside parenthesis block, cw = change word). Ed and thus ex and thus vim have an ability to run shell commands and integrate them with text buffers and selections (so does Emacs though), the integration with OS is more visible, but with existance of vimscript, Lua and python bindings etc. no one really uses shell commands.

I would recommend to learn basics of navigating Vim, the modal editing and text objects, it's pretty interesting concept and you might need to use vim/vi some time.

Honestly neither, Acme.

Vi - Everyone should know at least the very basics of vi in that it's almost guaranteed to be on any Unix system you might access. In all honesty it's too minimalist and not using a dedicated programming environment is a handicap despite what anyone says. (Miss me with that "Unix is my IDE" shit)

Emacs - Much more powerful and extensible. Suffers the opposite problem of Vim, way too heavyweight. Clearly GNU doesn't value keeping things simple at all and has some of the god-awful shitty defaults to ever exist. Once you have customized it (spending forever to do so) it can be good, but really in the current year you should get sane defaults out of the box.

Acme takes the best of both worlds. Essentially an extremely extensible editor with sane defaults. Use your mouse as if you are switching to a command mode in VIM then slide your hand back to the keyboard to get back to writing text.