CS major

>CS major
>Half of the people in my class are taking college algebra
>The other 1/3 failed calc 1
>Can't even explain how arrays work, let alone pointers
>"I want to do game development" or "I don't care, I just want a job"
>"Faggots watching/playing Vidya on their laptops or browsing Instagram on their phones in class"

How is this major not a meme again?

Attached: pepe-the-frog-1272162_1920.jpg (1920x1371, 98K)

If they're failing out of class then who cares? Every major has incompetent freshmen who get weeded out. If they graduate with you, then you picked a shitty school.

That being said, freshman classes are easy, I browsed Jow Forums all day back then.

lmao should have taken software engineering instead of codemonkey trade school

I took college algebra for an easy math credit. Why wouldn't you do that? I got a D in calculus but that actually counts as a pass at my school .

Those kids dont get steady work or decent pay

Lib Arts undergrad here. Currently in law school after a 4 year gap of wage cucking it.

I didn't give a fuck about any of my classes other than passing them and drinking and vidya. I was a fucking idiot back then. The fact that you give a shit while youre a young little lad is both sad and respectable. God speed user.

Your school isn't a school if you can pass with a d. Nice bootcamp though

Because that's retarded and a waste of time, as you clearly found out since you failed calculus 1 anyway. Also I'm pretty sure most schools don't count algebra for college credit and I'm also pretty sure NONE count a D as passing.

I had people from my uni graduate in cs and they couldn't write a function to swap two variables. Like, the concept of needing that temporary variable eluded them.

/2 of my class
>>the other 1/3
I feel like this was intentional

Dumbass, you should've taken precalc if anything. I took it in the summer and insanely regarded it since my trig was terrible going into the fall.
To be fair the vast majority of people doing liberal arts don't care

transfer to a better school.

Sounds like you're a freshman?
Wait until your junior year and see how many of those same people still have CS as their major.
A lot of them, if they stay in the technology field, will have changed to infosec/IT mgmt/business flavors. Those degrees are mostly about management and won't get you jobs actually working with computers. They're not totally useless though, but if you're interested in that stuff there are better paths.

Many other classmates will totally just drop into a liberal arts/humanities degree. Don't do that. You'll hear people talking about just wanting to take it easy and enjoy college/"have the experience" - fuck that noise too.
If you want to just drink/party/loaf around and play vidya, don't bother wasting your money on tuition. Take a year off and work an entry level job. Multiple of my friends fucked off for a year (usually sophomore) and now they're an extra $15k, $20k in debt.

You can ignore all this if you want though, since I didn't go to college. I jumped right into the IT world and now am making $70k at 21... my best friend did the same thing and is making $90k at 22.

Man, I can't imagine how people don't care going into their classes unless they're just taking a placebo path

Guess there are no schools in my state cuz it's like that throughout the state.
>Dumbass, you should've taken precalc if anything. I took it in the summer and insanely regarded it since my trig was terrible going into the fall.
failed it trig is too hard lol
>s you clearly found out since you failed calculus 1
Didn't fail, I told you it counted as passing. Most math classes are a waste of time.

If this is true, then how do you explain the fact that so many people graduate knowing jack shit about coding?

What piece of shit school do you go to that D is passing? There is no way you took Calc 2 with a D in Calc 1

The problem is many American high schools teach that going to college is the only acceptable route.
Things like skilled trades or military are never really touched on, or if they are, it's only in passing.
It leads to a ton of kids going to college with no plan, and consequently no care, because it's just the default route.

That wouldn't be a huge issue if college wasn't insanely expensive. Those kids who take out loans to party and sleep for 4 years are mortgaging their future.

>failed precalculus and still took calc 1
Oh nevermind, you're a troll

Attached: 1535725641743.jpg (550x422, 35K)

I am eternally grateful for these brainlets. They will only make me come off as all the more competant when we graduate and start applying for dev jobs

Mind your own business, user. When you're standing there at the commencement ceremony and none of those bugmen are there, you'll feel pretty good.

It's possible to be good at school but not good at what's being taught.
You can memorize and "collaborate" your way to graduation, if that makes sense.

I dunno why the computer system let me sign up. I signed up to retake it in the winter but then it got canceled but Calc for the spring semester didn't get canceled. Guess I hacked the system.
All states in MD are like that I'm pretty sure.

I explain it with the USA having too many shitty diploma mills.

In other places you simply don't pass if you can't program or can't into maths and more.

Either way you sound like a huge faggot

why do math nerds get angry at you for not studying all day for their mundane math classes? I got close to a 100% in my computer science II class, I do good at what counts.

Because Calc 1 is easy as shit and I'm not even a nerd. Why are you a CS major if you suck at math? I will never understand this.

Also
>bragging about getting an A in CS 2
Isn't that the class where you just handle arrays and functions? That class is easy as fuck too

You must mean high school because i go to college in md and d is a failure

kill em

Out of the 195 students 19 passed programming 101(pseudo code and a bit of C) in the end of the semester.
We welcome everyone, our requirements to get in are non existent,and weed out the retarded

A D in high school is failure too. I'd love to see this "college" where they pass students with Ds and allow them to take requisites with it.

no it was about like every data structure besides arrays.
Oh well it's a community college. Maybe that's why.
>requisites
I haven't actually taken Calculus 2 and won't until after I transfer to a 4 year college. My new school might make me retake it but it counts towards my associates degree.

do you mean D like distinction of D as in 50%?

>I jumped right into the IT world
Any advice on how to go about doing this?

D means 60-69% in America.

I joined the military and in my contract got a guaranteed slot as a network tech.

>My new school might make me retake it
You are definitely going to retake it because Ds don't transfer

When I was in college for CS, I got my jollies by rooting out collaborators who where sharing code for CS1, CS2, Algorithms, and every class where it's a huge problem if people share projects.
I don't want to sound like the crazy old boomer man looking for all speedy cars in the neighborhood. This was some seriously blatant code sharing I've seen at least once in every class, and everyone else just looks down at their feet being a bystander when they see it.

I encounter a lot of requests for people who are wanting to copy my code directly, even "can you email me your project"?, which are requests from classmates most people don't get in CS. I get these because of the way I look, people are expecting me to help because of how I look, and that we need to help eachother because of nationality. HAHAHA wrong. You all deserve to fail.

But once someone knew it was me because it was obvious. They were removed from the program and furious about it. I think they mailed dog shit to my doorstep expecting it to bother me. I told him if they expected that to be annoying, they are a fake Indian. He got mad, and so I knew he had sent it.

The bastard tried to STEAL my usb stick. Thought I wouldn't tell because Indian.
Punched him after passsive agressive doorstep shit mail (not delivering shit with his own behind -- total pussy and fake Indian) and he started crying and saying I would get in trouble for punching his Glycine max munching fake. Fake man.

I know a smart (sadly ugly and pale) girl who gets feminists into trouble when they beg for code. She had to learn to stand up for herself over time.

Attached: DqE5YduVsAAMMnz.jpg (360x352, 20K)

pajeet, pls

>implying any of this bullshit happened

Well I'll try do better next time so Jow Forums stops bullying me.

How do you know my name?
Sir, stop hacking me or I shall call the police.

Attached: 1544334301355.jpg (1024x516, 45K)

>You can "collaborate" your way to graduation, if that makes sense.
This has saved my ass so many times when it comes to lab work and group projects. I'm a lazy and selfish little shit and I will do anything to not do more than solve test problems

WTF is it with burger Universities with classes that should have been taught in high school?
And you get into debt for this shit?

Ok.
Maybe the punch was more of a bitch slap, but that was because he had a saliva problem and we were both ducking.
He did cry while swearing 1000 curses to me for ruining his life, though crying made it 100% a man-baby. Should have been better at programming.

Because PC culture and brown people have turned public HS into a glorified daycare, that's why. So you end up with hoards of kids that can't even write a single paragraph or do long division without shitting all over themselves.

Firm handshake

Stop, this has been going since forever. The only difference is that before you didn't need to go to college to not be fucked for life

Bruh if you can't pass community college classes uni is gonna fuck you in the ass. I took summer classes at CC to fulfill gen ed requirements and the caliber of classes don't compare. CC classes are easy as fuck and you should be getting 3.7+ if you don't want to be a 2.0 student in uni always on the verge of failing classes (and often you need at least a 2.5 to have it considered a passing grade if it's in your major)

CS has a strong attraction of students who think that if they can use a computer then they're minimally prepared for what's to come in CS course

There's really not that much of a difference between STEM classes at community college and University. The problem is that too many people either have weak math skills from HS but still scored high enough to get into calculus, or they took remedial classes with easy af professors. This fag shouldn't have even been inside a calc class since he failed precalculus. I wish someone had told me how important it is to excel in that class because it makes calc 1-2 a lot easier.

I had no idea what I wanted to do until I was in my junior year of college when I took a cs course. I fell in love with programming and knew it was my niche in life. Added an extra year of school to finish the program but it was worth it (extra math and core requirements).

what did he mean by this ?

What? I did two years at CC and then uni and the CC classes were tougher and more demanding. I guess it just depends on the school. The uni is a top 15 national uni too.

impossible unless you get shit tons of certs that are somehow related to the job you are applying
start with a techsupport - level 1 job and it will go from there (or atleast this is what im told)
im barely called back for jobs even though i have a CCNA and am 2nd year CS student
i know that my position doesnt amount to much, but its VERY FUCKING HARD to belief people who say that aslong as you finish a degree, have some projects you did as a hoby and interned you will get shit tons of jobs and be making 50k+ out the door

going into CS in 2020, what can i expect ?

A lot of gaymer faggots that can't pass math classes

im [almost] failed maths
but im not a gamer and willing to learn maths and computation theory
will i be ok if ?

I feel so bad at uni when I come across kids who fell for the game dev meme

Which math courses are we talking here? And it depends why you failed it.

damn you got me missing JB hifi

>Bruh if you can't pass community college classes uni
Calculus is calculus. It's the same shit.
>if it's in your major
I never get less than a B in a computer related class.

i failed everthing except functions

how do you fail calc 1 and still want to do computer science?

Fucking beats me. I still don't see how or why people think Calc 1 is hard. The only thing I had an issue with in Calc 1 was concavity/second derivatives, trig identites and applications and I still passed it. So I'm guessing these people either didn't study whatsoever or had terrible algebra skills.

so everything but functions and matrices, but i failed shit like trig and other stuff
im getting the hang of big0notation and aglorithms (more of the former then the latter)

Your class only has six people?
>You
>One half (3 people)
>The other third (2 people?)

Are you in college now? If not take the placement and see if you need remedial classes. You can still do CS, but understand that depending on how many classes you need you're gonna be in school an extra 1-2 years, and that's assuming you take summer classes AND you don't fail anything. So if you're willing to be in school longer and you can hack it, than go for it.

or he could self-study and clep a lot of the math

>I still don't see how or why people think Calc 1 is hard.
I got a D and I don't think it's hard. I just thought I could get a C without doing all my homework and I was wrong.

Also keep in mind that in a normal sequence, a CS student takes the upper level CS courses AFTER they're done with the calculus/physics sequence. By the time they get to the 200 level classes they're either done or they're taking linear algebra and diff equations. You're going to have to balance the upper level shit at the same time you're learning calculus/physics, and for some people it's too much to handle, especially if they've never seen any of that material before college.
He could do that too but it's a lot of material to cover on your own depending on how much math you need to take. I'm assuming at the minimum he'll need calc 2 and linear algebra.

You still don't need to. They have simply gotten better at meme'ing people into believing this.

Is CS a meme degree? Fuck yes it is, and it's basically a meme degree for the exact reasons that your hate your peers. Here's the thing, if you aren't a lazy faggot and you actually apply yourself to mastering the concepts of CS, it isn't a meme degree at all. All the chaff in CS should only make you look better by comparison. Look at how many incompetent idiots there are around, those are the people you have to compete with. You shouldn't be so upset about getting a "meme" degree if your classmates are really as bad as you say they are, it kind of implies that there would be a high demand for competent people in the field.

I entered CS because I like problem solving, and I like math. Focus on getting good at something that you can be passionate about so you can leave these people in the dust. Every time some loser says shit like "I hate math", just relax knowing that it's one less person who will be competing with you for one of the few actually interesting jobs. Most of these losers are just going to go on to be webdevs in the long run, use the fact that you're actually talented to help distinguish yourself in a field full of hacks.

And just to make you feel a little better, every field is like this. A shit load of people in engineering are absolutely terrible engineers, they just went into the field so they could collect a paycheck. How often have you been to a doctor and thought to yourself "this guy must be a complete fucking retard"? Trust me, if you're thinking of switching majors into any kind of program that has less of a "meme degree" status, you're only going to find yourself equally disappointed in your peers in a years time.

what should be my basis before going into a CS degree ? im doing a UniLink course which is ment to be a preliminary classes
so basically what should i know in mathematics to be competent in CS

>so basically what should i know in mathematics to be competent in CS
You probably only have to go up to like calculus 2. Just get through the brainlet high school tier math classes as fast as possible and get through the 2 calcs. Programming most things doesn't actually require you to know much math beyond algebra so don't let the math nerds brainwash you.

fpbp

just so you know, i go to a UNI in australia called file-name and this is the core studies for it
its a 3 year course and its supposed to be the best or 2nd best CS degree you can get in my state (VIC)

Attached: swinburne.png (718x265, 17K)

Again, it depends on how much remedial you need to take. If you're starting from the lowest class? Get good at algebra and practice it to death. You should be able to look at problems and factor them without even trying. If you ever think to yourself "Ah it's not that important, I don't need it after this", WRONG. You're going to be using all of that shit in calculus. The people that struggle the hardest in calc are the ones who can't do algebra for shit. Then you have the precalc course. Do everything possible to get an A in that class. Take the hardest motherfucker in your school while you're at it. You'll thank yourself later for it. I pointed this out earlier, I WISH someone had hammered it into my head how important this class is for calc. The gist of what I'm saying is that you need to have as solid a foundation as possible for the upper level math courses. If you're weak in any area, whether it's algebra or trig or graph analysis, you're going to have a rough ride in calc 1-2. Also, if you've never taken physics, do yourself a HUGE favor and either start studying that now while you can, or take an intro class before doing physics 1. I skipped the intro physics class and got HAMMERED in physics 1, had to retake the whole thing because I struggled so badly. You do all of that and you'll be fine.

>I don't care, I just want a job
That's like 75% of STEM students

Am I missing something here? This looks like pajeet-tier webdev shit

Dude i have no idea,im given no resources to talk to any teacher and im basically left on my own
The people teaching CS say its the greatest thing ever since ill get a job, and its parotted by the people in every other course
I literally cannot know what i the best course of action going into that uni, be it : CS, Software Engineering etc.
but thats the uni i got in and im fucking stuck with it

Your school isn't a school if they still use A-F grading. Consider suicide americunt

Don't worry, they will be gone soon. 70% of cs students either drop ou our take twice the need time to finish the course.
So, you won't see most of them next year.

Not allowed to fail women & minos

>You don't need a CS degree to get a job!
>Just ask your uncle like I did duh
Every single time it's nepotism

Attached: 1539568366799.jpg (710x359, 47K)

And what if he wants to do something that requires much more than just algebra? Stop giving shit advice.

No

Can confirm. A three year degree took me four years. But we got there and are pushing some CVs out where they are asking.

ay mate I did a study abroad at swinny

that was back when the cheese grater was new

fucking skitz

That's Bs that's day one intro level stuff

what kind of university are you attending?

this is good advice

>as you clearly found out since you failed calculus 1 anyway
Maybe he would have done worse without the algebra

is software engineering actually better? I need to chose whether I do CS or software engineer next year. My uni merges the two for first year

Pajeet basado

>Pre-rec for software eng course is a data structures and programming course (you learn stacks, queues, linked list, ayspmptotic anaylysis, and etc.., standard entry level stuff), breddy tough but fun and you walk away a much better programmer.
>Get grouped into sets of 5 for soft eng course
>Making MVC app using an api of our choice; simple, useful, and fun stuff
>No one knows how to code at all on my team
>Not even HTML/CSS
>End up building whole damn thing myself essentially

Do people not retain knowledge or do they cheat any chance they get? I just don't see how they got through the pre-rec course since it's considered a bit of a filter class because it's so tough on newbies.

It seems like my major is full of people who have no real interest in programming outside of school work.

Attached: 1529358034076.jpg (743x729, 154K)

>is software engineering actually better?

No, it's even more of a meme that focuses on even more bullshit and less on the technical aspects of CS, ironically. It won't teach you how to understand large software project in any way you couldn't practice yourself. The only advantage is that you get an actual engineering certification.

>actual life advice from meme board
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODS

CS is full of people too retarded to go in to engineering, hence all the gaymers and non-whites